official iriver imp-550 thread
Jul 24, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #167 of 223
Quote:

Originally posted by MERTON
the 550 definatly has better sound quality than the 350

Have you confirmed this, like with blind testing? (Recording the line-out onto computer, and seeing if you can differentiate the songs not knowing which is which when you're listening.)

Jul 24, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #169 of 223
well if you are on the west coast, The Good Guys have had the 550 in stock for a while now. if not, you can always order from their website $179.99 w/ free shipping and no tax. sounds good to me. Also if you go over $200, you get 10% discount.

Jul 24, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #170 of 223
Sanity8me, I bought my iMP-350 at CompUSA. Are you sure CompUSA isn't selling iMPs?

Also... has anyone tried the Sennheiser HD-280s on a SlimX player? Does the SlimX give the 'phones enough power?

Jul 24, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #171 of 223
Our ComUSA dont have iMPs, but they have a similar MP3 CD players thats look like iRiver iMPs. No button on the player and a remote control with 4 line and similar GUI to iRiver GUI remote control.

Jul 24, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #172 of 223
Hi all, there is new firmware (v1.20x) out on the iriver site...
biggrin.gif
For all the 550 owners, now u can enjoy the Xtreme 3D and Level Meter functions and several bugs fixed... For more details, here is the firmware page,

http://www.iriver.com/support/downlo...ord=&category=

600smile.gif

[EDIT]: just flash and tried out the Xtreme 3D...woh, what can i say... i'm very impressed with the effect on sound... especially with headphone... it's like ppl sing in front of u... :þ now Xtreme 3D is my favourite setting instead of Xtreme EQ...
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2003 at 4:59 PM Post #173 of 223
First: I love my iMP-550
biggrin.gif

I have to say I was not totaly impressed a few hours after opening the box, but to establish a loving relation takes some time. Now, after over 50 play hours I am very satisfied.

One extremely good think which is not related to the physical player itself, is the support iRiver does to its customers. Some says companies which releases firmwares often did a bad initialy job, but this player has in fact been extended with new functionality in several ways after the release. Sony, are you listening?

Xtreme 3D is good, but when listening to some live recordings it seems to do something half-ugly to high frequency sound. But the sound becomes much "bigger" with this new addition.

Even this is the best portable player I have had, there is a few problems I have found:

1) When the player is connected to the charger and then I changes something in the settings menu, the settings are lost if I just disconnect the charger without first holding down the Stop button. When the player goes into sleep mode after inactivity, this is not a problem.

2) I have problems with several CD-Rs burned as Audio CD, all burned as single session. When I got the player, I switched off multisession so it would load faster. But it seems it will read some of these CD-Rs incorrectly when turned off, skipping between tracks and track times are incorrect, and the disc takes really long time to load. Switching on multisession corrects this.
If I lower the burning speed, the error is less likely to appear. I am using Verbatim 48x discs which are burned on a Yamaha CRW-F1 at 44x, lowering to 16x is better. 44x is fast, but this disc/burner combination has had very good burnquality at this speed. The strange thing is that all the other players where I have tried these discs has played them perfectly, even over 10 year old standalone players...

3) The amp is to weak when the recordings have a low recording level, but that I guess is how it is today. Maybe I need to buy an external amp....

Jul 24, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #175 of 223
Quote:

Originally posted by opresterud

3) The amp is to weak when the recordings have a low recording level, but that I guess is how it is today. Maybe I need to buy an external amp....

i think maybe it is purely the fault of the recordings here, not the amp.

maybe you mean the output is low

Jul 24, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #176 of 223
Yes, as I said it is when there is recordings with a low level. They exist... But that is not a specific problem of the 550, I guess all modern portables are like this. My 8 year old Philips had a higher output and managed these recordings good with the PPs.

Anyone knows about a cheap-but-good-enough headphone amp which is easily available in Europe?

Jul 25, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #178 of 223
Before I realized that the 550 is def the way to go, I was seriously considering the Sony MPD-AP20U. What really impressed me is the fact that it is able to read mp3s on dvdrs. That's a $hitload of music, but it seems way bigger then the 550 and does offer as much "fun". What do you guys think?

Here's a link (not bad $50 rebate):
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?edc=446723

Users who are viewing this thread

Back