Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #3,001 of 3,817
I hear a lot of speak about doing the HEK justice with an amp dac combo that's quite frightening and actually has put me off getting them for quite a while. In all honesty, taking the Schiit line up as the measuring point, how darn high does the combo have to be?

Jotunheim -- ha ha ha, yeah right
Asgard 2 / Valhalla 2 + Bifrost -- "runs" them but no point having HEK, could just have 560 or old 500 really...
Lyr 2 + Bifrost  multibit -- just the same as above, only marginally better
Mjolnir 2 + Grungnir -- that's the bare minimum here friend-o, you'll be able to enjoy them
Ragnarok + Grugnir -- beginning to do them "justice" here
Ragnarok + Yggdrasill -- alright man! justice overwhelming. 

Have I gotten the right idea? 

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #3,002 of 3,817
I'm comparing a V1 and a V2 , and even if the v1 is fully broken-in while v2 has only some 10 hours, the difference in sound is quite evident...... too evident IMHO to be due to just new cup, pad and cable.

anyone can confirm for certain that the drivers have not been modified? (apart from cosmetic modifications I mean)

if the drivers are actually the same, I would be really surprised on the effect of the cup/pad/cables modification.....
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #3,003 of 3,817
I agree. Its a big difference.

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #3,004 of 3,817
  I'm comparing a V1 and a V2 , and even if the v1 is fully broken-in while v2 has only some 10 hours, the difference in sound is quite evident...... too evident IMHO to be due to just new cup, pad and cable.

anyone can confirm for certain that the drivers have not been modified? (apart from cosmetic modifications I mean)

if the drivers are actually the same, I would be really surprised on the effect of the cup/pad/cables modification.....
confused_face_2.gif

I have the same exact thoughts, they sound like different drivers to my ears, and im comparing both with spore 4 fusion cables. so cable changes are not a factor. Yet still they both have very different signatures. V1 sounds veiled in comparison to v2. I'd be very surprised if the only thing causing that is the earpads and cup design. but i also plan on swapping pads to see how much that affects the sound.

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #3,005 of 3,817
Really curious myself-I am to get a v2 at some point (won the upgrade, thanks Hifiman), will compare the 2 before I return v1. My previous listening didn't find such a difference, but that was at a noisy meet, using my broken in v1 with upgraded cable against stock v2 (break in unknown). I'll post what I think when I get v2.

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #3,007 of 3,817

confused_face_2.gif

I have the same exact thoughts, they sound like different drivers to my ears, and im comparing both with spore 4 fusion cables. so cable changes are not a factor. Yet still they both have very different signatures. V1 sounds veiled in comparison to v2. I'd be very surprised if the only thing causing that is the earpads and cup design. but i also plan on swapping pads to see how much that affects the sound.

Yes, please, somebody finally do this! One more thing to respect is the foam mod meant to bring the acoustics of the V1 closer to the V2's, apart from the ear pads.

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #3,008 of 3,817
Really curious myself-I am to get a v2 at some point (won the upgrade, thanks Hifiman), will compare the 2 before I return v1. My previous listening didn't find such a difference, but that was at a noisy meet, using my broken in v1 with upgraded cable against stock v2 (break in unknown). I'll post what I think when I get v2.

I'd really like to know myself as I too use a MZ2.  I'm not so lucky to "win" the upgrade, so I'm a bit bitter with Hifiman's handling of the HE1000 (the beta testing leading to no changes and then V2 coming out soon after; kinda like they knew but did nothing and then launch V2).  I'd just as soon jump ship from Hifiman and pursue something else entirely....

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #3,009 of 3,817
@compassionator, I understand. I was not happy with the upgrade sequence myself, though I couldn't hear enough difference when I auditioned to feel it worth the cash for the upgrade. (all the disclaimers a noted above, of course). I still think MicroZOTL2 and HEK v1 make a fine sounding pairing; it didn't get worse sounding because they released an upgraded model. Things usually get upgraded or discontinued at some point, if that's crazy making you can never buy anything (they could have waited longer to spring it, though...).

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #3,011 of 3,817

I have not directly compared them. I have only listening to them on the same gear and used LCD 3 from 2016 as point of reference for SQ and how much I liked them. I must say that the v2 was more to my liking. Still had the wide, open sound with a good amount of subbase etc, but the transparency, micro detail, punch and bass definition was better than I recall. Grain of salt naturally, but still my impression of the v2 was of a better headphone. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3,012 of 3,817

I have not directly compared them. I have only listening to them on the same gear and used LCD 3 from 2016 as point of reference for SQ and how much I liked them. I must say that the v2 was more to my liking. Still had the wide, open sound with a good amount of subbase etc, but the transparency, micro detail, punch and bass definition was better than I recall. Grain of salt naturally, but still my impression of the v2 was of a better headphone. 

From my testing so far my thoughts very closely match your own, if not exactly. Thus far the v2 is a better headphone for sure.
Still evalutating in what ways specifically, if it's worth the price, earpad swaps, etc. But yes the transparency, micro detail, punch, and bass def is better. V1 sounds veiled in comparison. Also v2 is alot more comfortable, didnt expect it to be, but it feels significantly lighter whiles still feeling a bit more premium. (Still not a fan of the build though)

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #3,013 of 3,817
Apr 9, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #3,014 of 3,817
I very much prefer HE1000 v2 to the Utopia.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #3,015 of 3,817

From my testing so far my thoughts very closely match your own, if not exactly. Thus far the v2 is a better headphone for sure.
Still evalutating in what ways specifically, if it's worth the price, earpad swaps, etc. But yes the transparency, micro detail, punch, and bass def is better. V1 sounds veiled in comparison. Also v2 is alot more comfortable, didnt expect it to be, but it feels significantly lighter whiles still feeling a bit more premium. (Still not a fan of the build though)

Yes it’s seems to be better built, light as a feather and even more comfortable than the v1. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back