Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #2,132 of 3,817
Conclusion: HD800 performs better than HE1000 and is more euphoric in all genres.

If anyone has found a set up for HE1000 to beat the HD800, please let me know.
I want to give it a try within my budget.

Not intended to answer your direction question - more along the lines of the differences between the two headphones and what I like.

I do not have a single system on which I would say both HD800 and HE1000 are at their best. You can see in my signature two systems I have setup where I like both headphones. Ignore the DACs please and focus more on the amplifiers. I do not like the HD800 on the Ragnarok (personal preference) but it sounds fantastic with planar headphones. The HE1000, while still good on my other setup, is certainly at a disadvantage in comparison. And I've seen suggestions to go further away from setups good for the HE1000 to get a sound best with the HD800. I recently heard a DNA tube amplifier, which sounded quite good (need more time with it) on the HD800. It started to make crackling sounds when played through the HE1000 - it simply could not supply enough current to drive the headphones.

So I wonder if the issue you have is more similar to mine, in that I have not yet found a single system to play well with both headphones. I've been recommended MicroZOTL2, but have not heard that system as yet.

Different amplifier synergies may well be part of the problem.  Another is simply personal preference.  Generally speaking, most headphones at these price points will sound very good to excellent, and choosing which is better becomes a subjective exercise, albeit with some specific criteria in mind.  A significant percentage of head-fiers prefer the sound of the HD-800 over that of the HE-1000, and vice versa.  Neither group is "right" or "wrong" about this issue--this is a subjective hobby.  So, servantsaber, if your preference is for the HD-800 at approximately half the price of the HE-1000, then it would seem like you just saved yourself about $1500........
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #2,136 of 3,817
originally posted by servantsaber

If anyone has found a set up for HE1000 to beat the HD800, please let me know.
I want to give it a try within my budget.

I compared the HE1000 driven by the CEntrance HiFi M8 to the Sennheiser HD 800 driven by the Sennheiser HDVD 800 and the Grado PS 1000 driven by the Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp, here.  I found that the HE1000 excelled over the HD 800 in both bass and soundstage, as shown in this summary chart (higher numbers are better.. go to the link for the details).  Indeed the results showed that the HE1000 was the poorest of the three on transparency.

Later, I compared the HE1000 with amps other than the CEntrance HiFi M8, in which case it got even better:  Here, it shows the HiFi M8 was not as effective as either the Sennheiser HDVD 800 or the Grado HPA-1 in driving the HE1000.

Further tests with more amps, using the Grado HPA1 as a common anchor point, showed that the very best results in driving the HE1000 were obtained using the HiFiMAN EF-6:

Since then, other folks have found other amps, such as the Aurelic Taurus (@Wildcatsare1), or ZOTL (@doctorjazz), are also better than most in driving the HE1000.

End result is that even with its weakest-performing amp, for me the HE1000 sounded better than the HD800.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #2,137 of 3,817
Maybe do the comparison, if I can, at the Philly meet this Sunday, if I get there (if, if, if...)

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,138 of 3,817
  I compared the HE1000 driven by the CEntrance HiFi M8 to the Sennheiser HD 800 driven by the Sennheiser HDVD 800 and the Grado PS 1000 driven by the Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp, here.  I found that the HE1000 excelled over the HD 800 in both bass and soundstage, as shown in this summary chart (higher numbers are better.. go to the link for the details).  Indeed the results showed that the HE1000 was the poorest of the three on transparency.

The fact that your HE1000 outperforms HD800 in soundstage raises my skepticism. I assume we were comparing different HD800. Mine was Anax modded and matched with Cardas Clear cable.

In stock form of both HD800 and HE1000, I might agree with your ratings. 

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #2,139 of 3,817

The fact that your HE1000 outperforms HD800 in soundstage raises my skepticism. I assume we were comparing different HD800. Mine was Anax modded and matched with Cardas Clear cable.

In stock form of both HD800 and HE1000, I might agree with your ratings. 

Both my HD 800 and my HE 1000 are stock... no mods or third-party cables.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #2,140 of 3,817
I'll be getting these in a few days. Looking for the same clarity and liquidity I get with my Martin Logan Odysseys, powered by a KAV-250 Krell amp and augmented by a big Velodyne sub. Is that even possible with headphones?

I'm fairly new to the world of head-fi (and boy, "sorry about your wallet" is right!).

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #2,141 of 3,817
  This is something that I observed this morning. I was listening to Bonnie Raitt's - "I can't Make You Love Me", which is a song that strikes an emotional response in me.

Me too. That song will put a tear in my eye almost every time. The other track that reliably does that to me is Lyle Lovett's "Nobody Knows Me (Like My Baby)". 

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #2,142 of 3,817
  I'll be getting these in a few days. Looking for the same clarity and liquidity I get with my Martin Logan Odysseys, powered by a KAV-250 Krell amp and augmented by a big Velodyne sub. Is that even possible with headphones?

I'm fairly new to the world of head-fi (and boy, "sorry about your wallet" is right!).

You can come pretty near the clarity and liquidity of a pair of Martin Logan speakers with some really good headphones. In some other regards the ML will be much better thou. To even get in the same ballpark as your setup you will need to pair them with an equally good amp, dac, pure power and cables.  

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #2,143 of 3,817
Good discussion here on the virtues and pitfalls of buying megabucks headphones. 

Those of you who live in striking distance of a reasonably well-stocked audio store, or several, should count your lucky stars. Being in Downeast Maine, I live at least three hours from such a hifi emporium, five hours if I want to audition a nice broad selection of products.

A dozen years ago, I worked on Broadway, in Manhattan, and Stereo Exchange was across the street, 15 seconds from my building's lobby. As I already had a stereo system I loved, I don't think I ever set foot in the place. Oh, the irony. Now that I'm into head-fi, I'd give my left pinky to have a Stereo Exchange close-by. :)

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2,144 of 3,817
Double irony, now Stereo Exchange has a Headphone room! :mad:

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #2,145 of 3,817
I know! 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back