Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,291 of 3,817

When I called HiFi man USA a few weeks ago and it was mentioned to me that the initial production run was with the larger band, then they decided to shorten.  Some early production models like mine, came with the longer band, so I'm told.   After listening to both this evening, the longer band is more comfy to me with less clamping force. 

I also think the shorter band is much too tight. Complicating things more, I found the area where the headband metal is bent can vary between units so it can make it tighter or looser even with the same size band.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #1,292 of 3,817
Part One of the 3 Part HE1000 Headphone.Guru review is now up:

http://headphone.guru/hifimans-he1000-part-1-introduction-to-hifiman/

Part Two will be available tomorrow, and Part Three on Wednesday 
smile.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #1,293 of 3,817
Got in contact with Hifiman and they said that they are working on it.   My pair doesn't actually fit my head, so I hope they find a fix otherwise I can't actually wear mine 
blink.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #1,294 of 3,817
Sake here, seems they are working on it.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #1,295 of 3,817

Sake'  - it's used to rub onto cows via massage to produce Kobe beef.... now used for improving headphones!!  
etysmile.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #1,296 of 3,817

Sake'  - it's used to rub onto cows via massage to produce Kobe beef.... now used for improving headphones!!  :etysmile:

Like good scotch or beer, sake will improve PRAT, texture, though imaging may get a bit vague...

(spell correct, of course :D )

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #1,298 of 3,817
Just got my He-1000 yesterday, initial impression is slightly disappointed. In comparison to my He-560 and HD650 I didn't feel it was a jump in the sound quality like some other described. Two things i did notice is bigger sound stage, more clarity and overall the sound of HE-1000 is more realistic then anything that i have heard before (i guess that is a big achievement by itself)

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,299 of 3,817
  Just got my He-1000 yesterday, initial impression is slightly disappointed. In comparison to my He-560 and HD650 I didn't feel it was a jump in the sound quality like some other described. Two things i did notice is bigger sound stage, more clarity and overall the sound of HE-1000 is more realistic then anything that i have heard before (i guess that is a big achievement by itself)

valid point. things read on forums often seem bigger than things experienced in real life. also, it is important to keep in mind reference points.

to be perfectly honest, from my personal experience, the HD650 is already so nice that upgrading up to flagship-type gear often can seem underwhelming. the HE-560 is also another amazing performance:price pick that really can stand well against other flagship options (if you are okay with its treble tuning). also, the specific sonic attributes that really stand out to each person may vary quite extensively. Really distinctive improvements in soundstage, realism, and overall clarity is generally not really that easy to find after solid options like the HD650/HE-560 from my personal experience. I would say the HD800 is really the only other headphone that I consider having some technical performance improvements over the HE-560 (if not considering sound signature preferences), though I actually personally prefer the HE-560 lol. People do talk about the HE-6 as well, though I have not had the pleasure to do direct comparisons with those.

For other specific sonic improvements you can try to pick up on between your gear, the HE-1000 does improve on some of the treble peakiness of the HE-560 (think cymbals clashes, violin scratchiness, piercingness of trumpets, attack of snare drums, and silibance in vocals) for a more realistic sound. Against the HD650, I would say there should be more treble energy ("bite") to the sound along with a more linear bass response with more sub-bass presence and less of that mid-bass emphasis. Possibly can get the perception of a 'faster' sound or than an laid-back presentation. those were just my personal thoughts & findings, so ymmv.

love to continue hearing your honest impressions as you continue to try them! often times, our brains need some more extended listening to pick up on other nuances. that being said, the he-1k may not be worth the additional investment as it is quite pricey & we all have a difference sense of what sonic differences are worthwhile.

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #1,300 of 3,817
Diminishing returns is a cruel mother...improvements can be had going up the food chain, but they're gonna cost you dearly, my pretty (and your little dog Toto too, heh heh heh heh!!!)

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,302 of 3,817
I'd say those are pretty big improvements...whether it's worth the cost difference is a personal decision (the 650 is a fine headphone...to me, not up to the HEK for realism)

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #1,303 of 3,817

Another first impressions that i noticed is that bass and bright treble has made the mids seem to be a little recessed to my perception. The bass of the he-1000 although very well controlled and can reach deep, i'd wish there can be more quantity/weight to it. My favourite bass response to date is from my SE846, i'm not sure if it's appropriate to compare IEM with a giant like he-1000, but Shure really did some magic there, super Fast, textured, deep sounding heavy bass...  Treble on HE-1000 is very well extended and capable of revealing the most subtle details in your track (same level as hd800), sometimes maybe too much for my taste.   Anyways, sound is a very subjective thing, there is a possibility that HE-1000 does not have my favourite tuning signature. Maybe i should do some more demos with LCD-X 

PS. i'm currently using the element from JDS labs to drive my cans, it has an output of  1.1w at 32Ω, proceeds a very clean sounds, hope there is not a bad pairing as i have no plan buying other amps at the moment. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #1,304 of 3,817
  Another first impressions that i noticed is that bass and bright treble has made the mids seem to be a little recessed to my perception. The bass of the he-1000 although very well controlled and can reach deep, i'd wish there can be more quantity/weight to it. My favourite bass response to date is from my SE846, i'm not sure if it's appropriate to compare IEM with a giant like he-1000, but Shure really did some magic there, super Fast, textured, deep sounding heavy bass...  Treble on HE-1000 is very well extended and capable of revealing the most subtle details in your track (same level as hd800), sometimes maybe too much for my taste.   Anyways, sound is a very subjective thing, there is a possibility that HE-1000 does not have my favourite tuning signature. Maybe i should do some more demos with LCD-X 

PS. i'm currently using the element from JDS labs to drive my cans, it has an output of  1.1w at 32Ω, proceeds a very clean sounds, hope there is not a bad pairing as i have no plan buying other amps at the moment. 

If you enjoyed the HE-560 and was wanting a bit more 'deep-sounding' bass, I think the LCD-X would the right direction to go in next if you decide that the HE-1k isn't to your tastes. the lcd-x has overall darker sound with still a bit of that crispness/'sparkle' with that 3-7kHz region. some of the other sonic attributes may fall behind a bit, but I think the important thing is finding the right sound signature/frequency response tuning match!

Good luck with your search & let us know your impressions with whatever you end up getting!! :)

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #1,305 of 3,817

I'm a huge skeptic of burn-in, but it really does seem like the HE1000 opens up after many hours of play. Perhaps there's more effect with this kind of driver. Give it some time and compare back with both the HE560 & HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back