Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
May 19, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #16 of 3,817
I will bring over all of the Impressions from the Beta Tester thread good people, so no need to double post.

They will fall in order of the original timestamp. If you copy your post from over there, it's too much work for me to weed thru, and
there will be duplicates and confusion.

If anyone has one that I missed, just pm me with the .url of your post.

May 19, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #17 of 3,817
I do have something to say about some of the "laid back" comments. While I have also reported these sounding "laid back" in comparison to the he6, I've come to find that this characteristic is amp depended. After moving these around to a few amps, I'm pretty amazed at how different these can sound. Before now, I've always considered the he6 the "scalability" champ. A fellow headfier and I use to joke about them having no ceiling, though between us both we certainly tried to find one. For me the journey ended with them surpassing the 009 off of the blue hawaii, and I'm sure there are amps to take them even higher.

So now that brings us to the he1000. Out of my hifi m8, which is class A, very smooth sounding, slightly warm amp, the he1000 do sound laid back in comparison to the he6. Out of my rebuilt mcintosh 2205, they sound much better. But the mcintosh is also slightly on the warm side of neutral, and what I would call a very "musical" sounding amp. In direct comparison to the he6(even when both are driven off the same amp) they do come off as a little laid back. But also superior in every other way. So last night I did some listening out of my vintage fisher 500c transformer coupled tube amp/receiver that has been completely rebuilt. And wow what a difference. Sounds like a completely different headphone. 

The fisher debunks misconception out there about tube amps in general. The fisher is one the most neutral amp I've ever listened too(may not be true for all 500c depending on who restored it).  That included both solid state and tube, and both headphone amps and speaker amps. It's not bright, warm, laid back or anything like that. But retains the traits that the better tube amps are known for such as holographic imaging, very three dimensional sound stage etc. These cans on this amp just sings, and is the best sound I've heard this side of high end electrostatic speakers(or any high end speakers). With only 24 hours of burnin, it's still too soon to make any detailed impressions. I will do that much later. But these scales like no other. And the sound can change to the point where the overall sound signature can change. That really speak for how transparent and ultra sensitive these are.

May 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #19 of 3,817
Out of the fisher, more on the engagement side. Not only do they match the 009 and surpass the he6 on the technicality side, they exceed both on the musicality side. Ive never listened to a headphone with technicalities on this level that also manages to sound so darn fun. This is a very fun, engaing sounding can. Its a referference, fun sounding headphone. As technically officient as these are, being analytical is the last word that will come to your mind. This is coming from a die hard he6 fanatic.

May 19, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #20 of 3,817
I have had limited listening time, the listening I did do was with a Ray Samuels HR-2. This is not a new unit, been around for a while, and not written up a whole lot, but the reviews out there are quite good. It has an external power supply, and seems to be able to drive most things from what I've read (I haven't tried TOTL stuff on it, the HE-560, FAD Pandora Hope VI, Shure 1540 are the reaches of my collection up to now (also have the Koss ESP-950, but this requires it's own amp). And, still working out some kinks to get a full evaluation in on it, now just catch as catch can. Maybe they do need a full size Krell or Conrad Johnson amp to really hear what they can do (have a Krell KSA-150 driving Thiel speakers as my main system, never tried hooking it up to headphones). So, I'm sure there will be many more informed takes on the HE-1000, but what I heard was open, clear, detailed, but a bit less, not sure how to put this, maybe drive, oomph, than I get with some of the other headphones using the HR-2. Early, incomplete, reserve the right to change my mind (and, I'll post more if I do).

May 19, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 3,817

NOTE:  I will update and edit this one post in multiple installments to save clutter in the thread.

Installment #1  (Posted 5/19/2015): First two listening sessions.   

AT AXPONAI took a Parasound Z CD player and my own CDs to Axpona.  I listened to the same music from the same player on multiple sets of headphones.  I didn't do extended listening to any of the headphones, because there wasn't time.  However, my opinion is that SIGNIFICANT sonic differences should be apparent rather quickly.

HE-1000:  The vendor had a Geek Audio amplifier.  I listened to my Denon (Lawton modified AHD 7000s) first and they sounded good.  Then I listened to the HE-1000s.  I was stunned.  It was OBVIOUS after only a few seconds listening that these are phenomenal.  I could detect absolutely no sonic deficiencies.  NONE. 

Detail:  Detail was STUNNING.  Intricate, not exaggerated, just highly resolving.
    Smoothness:  These seemed perfectly smooth without being the least bit rolled off to my ears.
    Balance:  They seem very evenly balanced, top to bottom.
    Bass: Spectacular.  Deep and controlled, with great punch, yet not boomy.  As deep as my Denons but much
              more well controlled, articulate and musical.
    Treble: Not rolled off as far as I could tell.  Spectacular detail.

AT HOME: Out of the box they sounded good to great and seemed to open up very quickly, even in the first half hour.  Based on my initial listening (about 2 hours), I will tentatively CONFIRM everything I said about them above.  

Installment # 2; 5/22/15: Third listening session.  Obviously these change during the breaking in process.  The fact that my new Oppo HA-1 is also breaking in at the same time adds another variable.  At this point, at about 4 hours total time on both the HE-1000s and the HA-1, there seems to be slightly more detail, similar dynamics, and now just a very slight hint of brightness, which is new.  Still awesome, but now I can see that more burning in will be necessary for this setup (HA-1 + HE 1000) to achieve its optimal sound.  That said, at this point I can't imagine anyone saying they lack detail.  No way.  At any rate, the plan is to start using the Purist Audio Enhancement CD tomorrow for some formal burning in time. 

Installment #3; 5/31/15: Additional listening after more burn in time with Purist Audio CD.  Brightness is ameliorated with additional burn in.  I still consider these to be spectacular headphones, almost unbelievably good.  I have other observations and some ideas but I will save them for my formal review after thinking them over some more.  I will say this: They can even handle organ fugues and capture the deep notes with amazing deft and weight.

Installment #4 (final installment for this post); 6/13/15: Now with the MicroZOTL.  This changes things and takes away any hesitation I had about writing a gushing, effusive review.  The synergy with this little amplifier is utterly magical!

May 19, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #22 of 3,817
So I've been listening to them a lot more today and I actually feel like they capture the best attributes of the HD800 and LCD-3's. I was never a fan of the HD800's, I tried to like them but I just didn't find them engaging, and found the treble could be a bit bright with my solid state amp at the time (Burson Conductor), which I don't think was a good fit for them in all honesty. But I did respect them for being a technically excellent headphone with the best soundstaging I've ever heard and I did love that much about them. The LCD-3's for me are almost the opposite, very engaging but much more limited soundstage, which for me was a fair trade-off.

With the HE1000's on the other hand I feel like I am getting that engaging sound signature like the LCD-3's, warm liquid bass lines, seductive mids, etc. but also the world class imaging and soundstaging of the HD800's. I feel like I can actually use these for all types of music now, because I only used my HD800's for acoustic, classical, jazz, etc. because those genres demand good imaging and soundstaging. I never used the HD800's for modern pop, classic rock, etc (which is mostly what I listen too). I used the LCD-3 for that, and because they were getting about 80% of my head time I eventually got rid of the HD800's.

Every genre I have tried with the HE1000 ends up being as good as I've ever heard my albums, with the ability to get me completely engaged but also discover new facets of my favorite music.

May 20, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #23 of 3,817
So I've been listening to them a lot more today and I actually feel like they capture the best attributes of the HD800 and LCD-3's. I was never a fan of the HD800's, I tried to like them but I just didn't find them engaging, and found the treble could be a bit bright with my solid state amp at the time (Burson Conductor), which I don't think was a good fit for them in all honesty. But I did respect them for being a technically excellent headphone with the best soundstaging I've ever heard and I did love that much about them. The LCD-3's for me are almost the opposite, very engaging but much more limited soundstage, which for me was a fair trade-off.

With the HE1000's on the other hand I feel like I am getting that engaging sound signature like the LCD-3's, warm liquid bass lines, seductive mids, etc. but also the world class imaging and soundstaging of the HD800's. I feel like I can actually use these for all types of music now, because I only used my HD800's for acoustic, classical, jazz, etc. because those genres demand good imaging and soundstaging. I never used the HD800's for modern pop, classic rock, etc (which is mostly what I listen too). I used the LCD-3 for that, and because they were getting about 80% of my head time I eventually got rid of the HD800's.

Every genre I have tried with the HE1000 ends up being as good as I've ever heard my albums, with the ability to get me completely engaged but also discover new facets of my favorite music.

My goodness, you heard exactly what I did. Probably because of 1. Our shared headphone history and 2. Our shared HD800s, haha xD

Kojaku

May 20, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #24 of 3,817
So ive started putting pieces of napkin under the headband because these are just a tad too big for me. Pretty janky... But improves comfort a ton. Definitely think the headband needs to be adjusted a smaller.

May 20, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #25 of 3,817
This is my thoughts that I scratched out on a notepad while listening to the he1000 over the first several days. Keep in my mind that these are just random thoughts and that the hp was still in the break in process.

*this headphone needs at least 75 hours on the cooker to get to where it sounds it's best

*I have a very high sensitivity to fatigue especially harsh treble and heavy headphones. I'm happy to report that I have no issues with either here. Clamp is about perfect and the suspension system is top tier good. Pads are comfy if not almost luxurious. The cable is good but not boutique quality, with some mild microphonics and the split is way too low (crotch area low). I do appreciate the inclusion of three separate cables, but also expected such at this price point.

*The bass response is just tremendous (after the burn in is complete). This is some of the best sub bass response that I've heard EVAR and certainly some of the most enjoyable. This headphone is about the sub bass and not the mid bass IMO. The sub bass here is incredibly deep and extended. It is tight and textured with stunning speed and decay. It's mildly to moderately punchy in a visceral impact sense but not the best out there. There are plenty of headphones that do visceral impact better, but very very few that do the extension, speed and texture like this one does. The bass here is linear in it's presentation and matches the recording very well.

*After 24 hours of listening what impresses me most...sub bass, sound staging and sweet mids.

*The mids have wonderful tone and female vocals are reproduced with a naturalness and immediately engaged me to the music. I spend a lot of time listening to female vocals and this is a very important quality for a headphone to get right. All the detail is there. This is a very musical headphone and not just a technical performer. Guitar plucks are cruchy and accurate.

*Imaging is excellent and the separation and location of instruments and voices is spot on. The overall signature offers a nicely layered presentation with nothing blended or smeared together.

*If you enjoy the sound staging of the hd800, you'll also enjoy the sound stage of the he1000...it's that large. In most regards it matches the hd800 and in terms height it improves on the hd800. It will be difficult to listen to other headphones now with regard to the sound stage of the he1000 alone. It's similar to a good set of speakers.

*The he1000 is not as amp depending as other flagships (hd800 or even he6). I've used several mid fi amps to good effect. But there is some scale with better gear. This hp enjoys good clean power and responds well to tubes. Vintage receivers make a wonderful pairing even straight from the hp jack. The Sansui au717 rocked me to the bone with the he1000.

*The treble is not perfect. The extension is very good and the timbre is pretty natural. But there can some splashiness as others have described it. The splashiness only comes up with certain recordings and usually ones on the bright side. For the most part I don't hear it but occasionally. I find classical incredibly enjoyable with the he1000.

*This is a very large headphone. I have already mentioned that I have to wear it on the smallest setting and I consider myself to have a medium sized head. You will not look sexy and attract women while wearing these.

*lyr2 did not accomplish what I wanted with hek. The signature lost focus and was somewhat smeared.

May 20, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #27 of 3,817
I think I might have posted brief impressions in the other thread, but after some hours of use, the slight irritation in the treble seems to have settled now. I'm with MattTCG on the description. They have just the right balance for me between being musical and delicate with rumbling bass and a sharp and precise treble. They remind me a lot of when I owned the Stax Lambda Nova Signatures which had thicker than stock pads, causing them to have a similar tuning. It would be interesting if they had more of a punch, because while the bass is nice, it feels like you're hearing it at a distance with some music.

I can also listen with them at the tightest setting on the headband, so it seems they need a tighter/shorter headpad. The large cups can change the tonal balance (frequency response) a bit.

May 20, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #28 of 3,817
I'm at around the 50hr mark(48 to be exact), this morning I have noticed a change. The sound has opened up just a bit, the treble which had a slight glare out of the box now sounds a bit more refined and nuanced. There's still just a tiny bit of glare which would probably go away with another 50 hours or so. But I'm very relieved to hear that at this point, it's greatly diminished. I've never had a problem with the bass extension. I would say the bass has bottomless extension. And coming from most headphones, I would say most would be happy with the impact and slam. It is very good overall, but it's just not on the level of a modded he6 at this time. There are others who have well over 150hrs of burn in that's reporting the same thing. Hopefully 200 hours or more of burn in would change that. But ime, I've never noticed a change that drastic with burn in, but these could be different. I will say, these are just really impressing me overall.

May 20, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #29 of 3,817
I think I have noticed some improvements &/or brain burn-in up to around the 100 hour mark or thereabouts. Not much more notable happened between that and 240 hours where I am now. Maybe a little, but it's that thing where you don't know if it's mood/burn-in/brain/placebo or be too bothered about it either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back