Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #556 of 3,817
@Sorrodje

That is an extremely very well-written review and it is obvious the amount of time you put into it. Very much appreciated. I thought you did a very good job conveying a neutral tone why you personally passed on the HE-1000 while highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the headphone in your eyes. A very well-balanced review.

I do totally agree with your bass and mid descriptions. Oceanic was the tag term that jumped out at me as well.

I do think that a major contributory factor to some of the critical elements that you allude to (lack of impact, attack, perceived softness, imaging, instrument separation, loss of metallic resonances) is due to the its unique presence of subbass. I found that a lot of those elements varied quite widely depending on the test tracks used. Very keen observation though. I do think that those certain combination of factors is also the underlying reason for that initial desire to push up the volume as well, though I have since found my sweet spot. You also very adeptly described how the HE-1000 conveys an interesting sense of organic liquidness and unoffensive sound while maintaining high resolution capability.

Your insight that it appears that the HE-1000 can push simultaneously on the brake and accelerator was actually something I also highlighted in my analysis on speed and your description strongly resonated with me. It is interesting how we found that same sonic attribute but come to opposite extremes in the conclusion. Very cool though. 

That descriptor that the HE-1k is an easy universal recommendation, but also mentioning that requires personal demoing on whether its overall characteristics and specific technical attributes meet your requirements is also a comment that is strongly reflective of how I feel about the HE-1k as well.

Very astute observations and I agree with many of your findings. I obviously have a different interpretation and final conclusion, but I can readily see where you are coming from.

Job exceptionally well-done!!

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #557 of 3,817
In my review above,  I:

1. Compared the HE1000 to the Sennheiser HD 800 and Grado PS1000 in a comparative "first place, second place, third place" sense on 10 acoustic features (transparency, sound stage, bass impact, etc), both as received and after 130 hours of burning in;
  2. Compared the HE1000 using the three amps of Joseph Grado HPA-1, Sennheiser HDVD 800, and CEntrance HiFi M8;
  3. Compared the HE1000 using the three amps of Joseph Grado HPA-1, HiFiMAN EF-5, and HiFiMAN EF-6.

The HP-1000 headphone with the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp came out as the best of the various headphone / amp combinations above.  Since I applied to the HiFiMAN Beta Test program with a need for a headphone like the HiFiMAN HE-500, HE-560, or HE-6, i.e., simultaneously providing treble detail AND bass impact, I need a headphone doing this in my inventory (my 13 Grado headphones, which I passionately LOVE, do not do this, nor does my Sennheiser HD 800 with HDVD 800 amp).

As a step in due diligence as part of deciding whether to keep or send back the HE1000 beta unit that I tested, I compared the HE1000 to the other top-end HiFiMAN offerings, the HE-6 and the HE-560, all being driven by the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp.  I was particularly interested in some of the folks' observations here that the HE1000 tends to soften and round out impacts and transients more than does the HE-6 driven by the EF-6.  I listened specifically for evidence of the HE-6 being more impactful.

For my ears (YMMV of course), I heard the HE1000 driven by the EF-6 amp as superior in all ways, including transients and impact, to the HE-6.  I wanted to be sure, prior to deciding to keep the HE1000, that I was not ignoring possible advantages of the HE-6.  (The HE-6, as shown in my analysis of the data of "Rank the Headphones That You Own," here, was the only headphone, possibly excepting the Stax -009, that persons who owned it with the Sennheiser HD 800 often rated above the Sennheiser HD 800, in fact 50% of the time).

So with the permission of HiFiMAN, I plan to keep my HE1000 beta evaluation unit.  It fills a void in my headphone inventory (all Grado models, the Sennheiser HD 800 flagship, and the Beyerdynamic T 5 p) by providing simultaneous impactful bass and sparkling treble.  Any super-fast transients not handled by the HE1000 are easily addressed by the top-end Grados (PS1000, RS1), so I feel well equipped in that regard.

As regards to the amp for the HiFiMAN HE1000, my own tests indicate that

1. the CEntrance HiFi M8 amp, when amplifying the HE1000, causes it to excel beyond the Sennheiser HD 800 headphone driven by the Sennheiser HDVD 800 amp and the Grado PS1000 headphone driven by the Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp;
  2. The Joseph Grado HPA-1 and the Sennheiser HDVD 800 amps do even better than the CEntrance HiFi M8 in driving the HE1000 (see my review linked early in this post for details);
  3. The HiFiMAN EF-6 does better than any of these in getting the best out of the HE1000.

Furthermore:

1. HiFiMAN says that the HE1000 is very similar to the HE560 in drive requirements of the amp;
  2. Some folks say that the Schiit Lyr 2 does a better job than even the HiFiMAN EF-6 in driving the HE560;
  3. Several HE1000 reviews here use the Schiit Lyr 2 and find excellent performance of the HE1000;
  4. Grado fans (and Grado Labs themselves) recommend the Schiit Lyr 2 as one of the best amps for Grado headphones (since I have 13 pairs of 'em that matters for me!!).

So my next step is to procure a Lyr2 and compare its performance on my HE1000 betas to the performance of the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp and choose the better amp for the HE1000.

And that's the way it is, for this HE1000 Guinea Pig (see my avatar), on June 12, 2015!

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #558 of 3,817
  In case anyone is familiar with them, is this similar to the Harbeth sound? (Along with other British BBC monitors?)
Another possible comparison to this latest review might be the Stax SR007 (mk1 for me, which seemed to have resolution w/o too much attack or vibrancy).
Thanks.

@rgs9200m : Ask n3rdling. he will be usefeul to give you faithful comparisons :wink: I first thought the HEK was close to the 007..at least what I remember from a brief listen of a 007 mkII. But Milos said us I were wrong. 

I am not sure how any comparisons can be made between the HE1000's and the Harbeth monitor sound or the 007 headphone sound (sans the farts, of course).

I am a proud owner of the Harbeth P3ESRs and have been a long time owner of the 007 MKI/MKII and Omega 1's.

The Harbeth's are pretty neutral and they do nothing to jump in your face and get busy. This is why they are used as monitors in recording studios. I use them for my near-field setup,  so I am getting more of a headphone experience than a speaker room setup experience.
The 1000's are alive and frisky and have incredibly deep and visceral bass. The SR-007s are very tame, very detailed but they have a "dark" stigma in their sound signature.

I can't see anyway of comparing those 3 at all. Apples, oranges, and blueberries. 

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #559 of 3,817
When people write long reviews/posts, can we not quote their entire post please? It's kinda annoying having to scroll through the material twice on a mobile device. Thanks.

Not only that, but just think how hard it makes it to read 'on-the-go' on a portable phone or pad.

Besides obvious bandwidth issues and download limits, there you are trying to read any post on the page, and it keeps hemmin' and hoping' all over the place as the pictures load.
It's downright annoying and serves no purpose.

Be kind and rewind! 
smile.gif

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #560 of 3,817
Well thanks there immtbiker! That was a great answer since I used to own Harbeth SHL5s (and have heard the P3ESRs), (and the Stax SR007), and what you describe is what I hear too. And it's good to read that the HE1000 is different. 
Again, big thanks for that.

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #562 of 3,817
HE-1000 takes a long time to break in.  Treble smooths out and is less peaky sounding.  The bass also tightens up and extends lower.  The bass on these headphones is simply unmatched by any headphone out there, in terms of extension, speed, and detail.

The headband size is still a concern, even the ones I tried at THE Show in Newport, CA, which had the smaller head sling/band.  It's still going to leave a significant number of people with smaller heads unable to wear these amazing headphones.

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #563 of 3,817
OK, usual disclaimer, have only had them for a day, not broken in, little long term "serious" listening.
first, looks department...they are beautifully built, as most have already seen in the photos, but, man, when worn, it's a dork from outer space look...even worse than the 560, and I think worse with the shortened band. Not a terrible thing, these are not for casual listening on a stroll in the neighborhood.
Now, the sound....*$#@&$$@?+@%#+ amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
(More details later...)

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #564 of 3,817
  In case anyone is familiar with them, is this similar to the Harbeth sound? (Along with other British BBC monitors?)
Another possible comparison to this latest review might be the Stax SR007 (mk1 for me, which seemed to have resolution w/o too much attack or vibrancy).
Thanks.

The PMC IB2i I have here, are probably well fitting of the BBC monitors description, with PMC being both a leading historical and current supplier for the BBC recording studios (and more than a few other studios around the world). 

This is the HEK thread, so here's how they kind of compare, with a few other notes along the way:
- the mids on the PMC are phenomenal. (So are the ATCs, and some Harbeths). The mids on the HEK are above average for headphones. On the latter they are also comparatively sounding recessed in the stage. The HE-6s are a bit closer to the PMC, with some gap to fill, but really good though. If I want mids and vocals after listening to the PMC, the HE-6s or LCD-3Fs are my first choice right afterwards. Right after that come the SR-009s and SR007s MKI. From there other headphones like the HD800s or HEK require a bit more brain washing time to adapt to their mids.
- On my solid state amp the PMC bass response is tighter, more resolute, stops/starts on a dime and no bloom at all comparatively vs the HEK. The piston driver response is extremely fast. The HEK sub-bass seems to bloat a little bit, and the HE-6s bloat a little bit too. (The HD800s have tighter overall bass compared to the other headphones, also because they don't produce any real sub-bass quantity :) ). This is on both tube and solid state monster speaker amps and only comparatively of course. Luckily I can run both speakers and heapdhones on the exact same amps and sources. 
- the overall resolution is probably about the same with the HEK, but because of the combination of resolution and more precise speaker imaging I could say the PMCs show a deeper insight into the recording
- leading edges and attacks on the PMC are much more precise than on the HEK. There are no hesitations when the note hits. Again this problem is highlighted with speakers, as well as other well amped headphones.
- imaging/sound stage. Headphones don't have a chance here. Better not compare.
- The thing about these speakers is they sound clear, articulated, detailed, precise, but effortless and nothing in the FR really stands-out, except for quality reasons, once you get them positioned/fine tuned. Tonally these PMCs are tuned to be very neutral, but they are very transparent. Which is to say with a tube amp like the Eddie Current they borrow the signature, and have those impressive 2A3 mids and silky airy treble, and tonally a little bit warm sounding. But less warm sounding than the HEK on any of the same amps. This I think is a colouration, love it or hate it. On the HEK: the sub-bass stands out with a bit more quantity and less control, the mids stand out in a negative way being recessed with a more uneven response and transition towards the treble, and as many noted the treble has some decay issues. Surely, the speakers are not perfect either... but they are considerably better transducers than my headphones, and I surely use them for comparisons, voluntarily or just by normally switching over.
- This I don't think is a fair comparison. I can do a similar run down compared to all the headphones I own, and can highlight more than a few flaws comparatively. That does not deter me from enjoying my headphones tremendously. And as a family person it's simply not possible to listen to anything and everything at any time on speakers. I do however enjoy the HEK less than the HE-6s and HD800s, because the particular flaws of the former are reducing my enjoyment based on my personal sound quality priorities.

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #566 of 3,817
OMG, thanks for all that info. Someday, I may get those PMCs if I can get myself a listening room again. They were off my radar. (I used to have Kharmas.) Again, huge thanks Negura.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #567 of 3,817
That's quite a collection of cans, you should be able to do some TOTL comparison.
Got the 1k today...had it a while back just for a moment, couldn't get a good sense of it. The band is redone, fits great, really comfortable. Have to let it burn in a bit...

So far I am quite impressed with them. They seem to disappear on my head...something I never thought possible with a planar headphone. The new EL-8s did take a step in the right direction, but these just hit the target. Bass is outstanding with some of the best lowest octaves I've heard, mids are sublime and the treble is oh so smooth. Imaging is likely the best next to my HD800s and SR-009s that I've heard. 

I've been using them exclusively on my main rig: HE1000s balanced 4pin --> GS-X Mk2 --> Metrum Hex...but tomorrow I'll see how they sound through my Concero HP and AK100II.

I hope you're enjoying them as much as I am. 

More to come...

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #568 of 3,817
That's quite a collection of cans, you should be able to do some TOTL comparison.

Got the 1k today...had it a while back just for a moment, couldn't get a good sense of it. The band is redone, fits great, really comfortable. Have to let it burn in a bit...

So far I am quite impressed with them. They seem to disappear on my head...something I never thought possible with a planar headphone. The new EL-8s did take a step in the right direction, but these just hit the target. Bass is outstanding with some of the best lowest octaves I've heard, mids are sublime and the treble is oh so smooth. Imaging is likely the best next to my HD800s and SR-009s that I've heard. 

I've been using them exclusively on my main rig: HE1000s balanced 4pin --> GS-X Mk2 --> Metrum Hex...but tomorrow I'll see how they sound through my Concero HP and AK100II.

I hope you're enjoying them as much as I am. 

More to come...

Been using them for a few hours, burned past 24 hours...Have the smaller band, find them pretty comfortable, bit I do fidgety with them now and then to get them more comfortable, not the best I have (have a really small head, need to keep them at the smaller setting). They look nice OFF one's head, but I think they are really geeky looking on...the smaller band accentuates the metal outer frame, looking like some 50's sci fi antenna (even more than the 560). This is all forgiven once I start listening, though...great sounding in my early impressions. My other headphones are well regarded cans ranging in price from $100- $1000, but obviously nothing close to this level, so my reaction is partly just to the qualitative step up in SQ, can't give fine point comparisons to other headphones at this stratospheric level.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #569 of 3,817
What defines speed for bass? I'm hearing the HE1000 to sound pretty slow in the bass/lower-midrange next to the SR-207. Bass/lower-midrange notes seem to linger on more than the SR-207 and it sounds slow to me, having a more blurred sound. Objectively, a waterfall plot would be able to show driver decay over tested frequencies, but no one here has done that yet.

Waterfall measurements for the SR-207 have been done on the other hand, and the bass decay is pretty superb, as is the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Likewise for the AKG K701. Although the bass itself isn't nearly as extended as either headphone, I hear the bass notes keeping up with the music pretty well and they never seem to get blurred as I hear with the HE1000.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #570 of 3,817
What defines speed for bass? I'm hearing the HE1000 to sound pretty slow in the bass/lower-midrange next to the SR-207. Bass/lower-midrange notes seem to linger on more than the SR-207 and it sounds slow to me, having a more blurred sound. Objectively, a waterfall plot would be able to show driver decay over tested frequencies, but no one here has done that yet.

Waterfall measurements for the SR-207 have been done on the other hand, and the bass decay is pretty superb, as is the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Likewise for the AKG K701. Although the bass itself isn't nearly as extended as either headphone, I hear the bass notes keeping up with the music pretty well and they never seem to get blurred as I hear with the HE1000.

Are you using your O2 setup for them?

I have the SR-009s, SR-007s and HD800s here and the HE1000's bass is right up there in terms of speed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back