Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #3,106 of 3,817
HI all!
Winner of the V2 upgrade here (please don't throw things...).
Here to briefly report on the comparisons between them.

FIRST:
Physically they're quite similar looking, but not identical. This has been gone over before, but the wood part of the cups (V2) is slightly less deep, while the cups are a bit deeper. V2 is slightly lighter, and has a smaller band. This all adds up to V2 being slightly more comfortable than v1.
Now, before I go much further, I have to say that, to compare them is to highlight the differences, and that will make them sound in print much more different than they sound in life. The differences are small. I had to often go back and forth to delineate them. But, they are there (I didn't think so in quick listens at meets and shows, but I can hear them at home listening closely). So, don't weep if you have v1; it is mighty fine sounding.
The gear for the quick comparison: PC/JRiver22/LH Labs Revive/LH Labs Geek Out SE plugged into LH Labs LPS, MicroZOTL2 (recently upgraded/modded by Mojo Audio, for a cleaner, more open sound), driven by Mojo TOTL Illuminati LPS, and Norne Zoetic aftermarket cable (my sense of the v2 cables was that they were better than the stock v1 cables, but I don't have the time/inclination to compare all the possible combinations of cables, as they send 3. It's enough trouble to plug and unplug the Zoetic with it plugged into the ZOTL).

I listened to:
The Eagles-Hotel California (hi-rez download 24/96 download
Wyckoff Gordon-St. Louis Blues (24/192 download from Chesky/Audiogon sampler)
The Cars-You're All Ive Got Tonight (16/48 AIF rip from Mobile Fidelity "The Cars" CD)
John Coltrane-Blue Trane (1648 AIF rip from DCC "Blue Trane" CD)
Dave Douglas-Be Still (24/96 download of HDTracks sampler)

My notes consistently say backgrounds are darker, "cleaner", allowing more details from the v2. The stage is slightly farther back, and details are more present, clear, with better separation of different instruments or voices. Bass is slightly tighter, slightly bouncier, making rhythm slightly more infectious, More "grab you by the tail". John Coltrane's inimitable tone on the early solo date has more depth, more richness. The guitar solo on Hotel California rips with greater penetration, cuts more. Wyckoff Gordon's quasi-Dixie band was more spread out in space, the tuba rich and rhythmic, slightly more depth and width on v2..The differences weren't always immediately perceived by me as positive for v2; the slightly "thicker" presentation of the v1 sometimes felt like it added "meat" to the bones. But, on going back and forth, listening to what really was audible "on the bones", I'd come out on the side of the clean, open presentation of the v2 as my preference, with it's slightly better detail, air, and punch.

Again, I'd like to thank the folks at Hifiman for the opportunity to be part of this program.
(Addendum: one thing I wanted to note, but forgot, was that the v1 seems slightly more sensitive than v2; that is, it was slightly louder at the same volume than v2. This didn't make v2 hard to drive, just necessitated care in listening, as the louder gear often seems better initially).

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #3,107 of 3,817
HI all!

FIRST:
Physically they're quite similar looking, but not identical. This has been gone over before, but the wood part of the cups (V2) is slightly less deep, while the cups are a bit deeper. V2 is slightly lighter, and has a smaller band. This all adds up to V2 being slightly more comfortable than v1.
Now, before I go much further, I have to say that, to compare them is to highlight the differences, and that will make them sound in print much more different than they sound in life. The differences are small. I had to often go back and forth to delineate them. But, they are there (I didn't think so in quick listens at meets and shows, but I can hear them at home listening closely). So, don't weep if you have v1; it is mighty fine sounding.
The gear for the quick comparison: PC/JRiver22/LH Labs Revive/LH Labs Geek Out SE plugged into LH Labs LPS, MicroZOTL2 (recently upgraded/modded by Mojo Audio, for a cleaner, more open sound), driven by Mojo TOTL Illuminati LPS, and Norne Zoetic aftermarket cable (my sense of the v2 cables was that they were better than the stock v1 cables, but I don't have the time/inclination to compare all the possible combinations of cables, as they send 3. It's enough trouble to plug and unplug the Zoetic with it plugged into the ZOTL).

I listened to:
The Cars-You're All Ive Got Tonight (16/48 AIF rip from Mobile Fidelity "The Cars" CD)

My notes consistently say backgrounds are darker, "cleaner", allowing more details from the v2. The stage is slightly farther back, and details are more present, clear, with better separation of different instruments or voices. Bass is slightly tighter, slightly bouncier, making rhythm slightly more infectious, More "grab you by the tail". John Coltrane's inimitable tone on the early solo date has more depth, more richness. The guitar solo on Hotel California rips with greater penetration, cuts more. Wyckoff Gordon's quasi-Dixie band was more spread out in space, the tuba rich and rhythmic, slightly more depth and width on v2..The differences weren't always immediately perceived by me as positive for v2; the slightly "thicker" presentation of the v1 sometimes felt like it added "meat" to the bones. But, on going back and forth, listening to what really was audible "on the bones", I'd come out on the side of the clean, open presentation of the v2 as my preference, with it's slightly better detail, air, and punch.

Again, I'd like to thank the folks at Hifiman for the opportunity to be part of this program.

Thanks, Doctor: I am highly appreciative of this comparative evaluation, simply because it is, among other things, helping me to put things in perspective. I personally did not go for the upgrade, but I have recently replaced the earpads on my v1 with the v2 earpads that Hifiman recently made available, and.like you, I have immediately become aware of some small subtle differences in sq, although I have not listened long enough to the v2 pads to nail down with any precision, what those differences are, or even decided whether I always prefer the new V2 earpad sound signature to the old V1 earpad one... In the meantime, though, I do enjoy the idea of having both sets of earpads available, since that gives me the option to alternate them, in case my sonic preferences do not always tilt exclusively in favor of one or the other set for all types of music. Besides, I personally liked the performance of the V1 pads already, especially, after I replaced the stock cable with the Norne Silvergarde S Cable, which came with its own set of new flavors, and then, more recently, when I started experimenting with the Norne Zoetic cable, which has also come with another set of subtle changes in flavors. When one also throws in the sonic contributions of DACs and Amps, the waters become even murkier, in terms of separating out sonic preferences between "v1" parts and "v2," parts, but for me, this only presents a good problem to have, and I am not complaining at all...

The only clear determination I have made so far, amidst all this array and variety of "flavors" on tap, is that I positively detest the stock v1 cable of the He-K V1, as well as the stock cable which came with my Edition X V2 (which did not even include an XLR balanced cable option). Not only have these stock cables become relatively unpleasant to my ears, when compared with the aftermarket cables, they actually make me aware of muscular/nervous tensions in my body when I am auditioning them, tensions which simply melt into thin air as soon as I replace them with either of the Norne cables. I do not know whether the Edition X v2's SE cable is the same as the one which was offered with the He-K V2, but if it is, then Hifiman needs to do some serious rethinking of its cable policy when it comes to the more expensive cans in their inventory.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #3,108 of 3,817
I'd say, if you want an analogy, it's a bit like a camera's manual focus. You can feel like you have very good focus, but then that slight turn of the lens gets the picture just slightly sharper. If you didn't, you wouldn't have noticed that it could be a bit sharper. That's a bit what it's like going from v1 to v2. (imo of course, mandatory disclaimer).

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #3,109 of 3,817
I was one of the monthly winners of the V1 to V2 upgrade and have spent a few weeks comparing the HEK V1 to V2. Sound quality wise the biggest difference I noticed was the V2 cleaned up the slightly boomy and bouncy sub bass. The result was the headphone sounded cleaner and more transparent overall. The side effect of this is the sub bass extension appears to go deeper on the V1, and the V1 sounds slightly warmer. There is a bit more coloration and character with the V1, but not in a bad way. If I had to pick one, it'd be the V2 since I also appreciate the cleaner sound but I think either would make me happy.
The build quality is better on the V2. I most appreciate the teflon pads between the headphone swivels. The squeaking metal on metal sound on the V1 bothered me and made them feel cheap. This is fixed in the V2. No sounds at all when swiveling the earcups.

My impressions between the V1 & Utopia is still unchanged with the V2 & Utopia. I still think the Utopia has the technical edge in clarity, imaging and speed. But the V1/V2 has the edge in soundstage and tonality. The Utopias are still a bit too bright for my preference and they can be fatiguing for long listening sessions.

If I had to keep one, it'd be the HEK V2. The sound is just about perfect for me. But the Utopias aren't going anywhere yet..

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #3,110 of 3,817
I was one of the monthly winners of the V1 to V2 upgrade and have spent a few weeks comparing the HEK V1 to V2. Sound quality wise the biggest difference I noticed was the V2 cleaned up the slightly boomy and bouncy sub bass. The result was the headphone sounded cleaner and more transparent overall. The side effect of this is the sub bass extension appears to go deeper on the V1, and the V1 sounds slightly warmer. There is a bit more coloration and character with the V1, but not in a bad way. If I had to pick one, it'd be the V2 since I also appreciate the cleaner sound but I think either would make me happy.
The build quality is better on the V2. I most appreciate the teflon pads between the headphone swivels. The squeaking metal on metal sound on the V1 bothered me and made them feel cheap. This is fixed in the V2. No sounds at all when swiveling the earcups.

My impressions between the V1 & Utopia is still unchanged with the V2 & Utopia. I still think the Utopia has the technical edge in clarity, imaging and speed. But the V1/V2 has the edge in soundstage and tonality. The Utopias are still a bit too bright for my preference and they can be fatiguing for long listening sessions.

If I had to keep one, it'd be the HEK V2. The sound is just about perfect for me. But the Utopias aren't going anywhere yet..
Thanks for your impression.
I also had the same impression. The sub bass extension in V2 go "SHALLOWER" than V1.
Resonance of the sub bass in V1 is in very very deep frequency range that could competing with those very high end loudspeaker systems, but it is a pity that the resonance of the sub bass is a little higher in V2 so that it raises the impact but could not go as deep as V1 did.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #3,112 of 3,817
The HE1000 v2 pads can be purchased now. But the retail price is way up there... why is the priced doubled compare to the v1 pads? $79 for a plether ultra pad? um.......

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #3,113 of 3,817
HI all!

FIRST:

I listened to:

(Addendum: one thing I wanted to note, but forgot, was that the v1 seems slightly more sensitive than v2; that is, it was slightly louder at the same volume than v2. This didn't make v2 hard to drive, just necessitated care in listening, as the louder gear often seems better initially).

Hi Doc, thanks for the review/impressions of V1 vs V2, they seem to be more or less in accord with what others are reporting. I'm leaning toward not getting the upgrade and chalking up the whole V1 as a lesson in the HIfiman way of doing business and dump the V1 along with two other Hifiman products I have. I will never buy another Hifiman product again. Thank goodness that there are so many other options out there (Mr. Speakers, Focal, Audeze, etc.).

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #3,114 of 3,817
Hi Doc, thanks for the review/impressions of V1 vs V2, they seem to be more or less in accord with what others are reporting. I'm leaning toward not getting the upgrade and chalking up the whole V1 as a lesson in the HIfiman way of doing business and dump the V1 along with two other Hifiman products I have. I will never buy another Hifiman product again. Thank goodness that there are so many other options out there (Mr. Speakers, Focal, Audeze, etc.).
I'm in agreement with your statement. The V2's are what the V1's should've been from the start. With that said, I did have my V1's upgraded to the V2's and I'm happy with the sound improvements and other modifications Hifiman made to the V2's.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #3,115 of 3,817
I am planning to get Lavricable silver cable for my HE1000. I would like to ask is there any major difference between 8 cores and 12 core silver?

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #3,116 of 3,817
Nov 30, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #3,119 of 3,817
I think I will be getting a V2 earpads for my HE1000v1. The V2 pads are thinner, as a result, my ears should be closer to the drivers.

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #3,120 of 3,817
HE1000 V1
vs
HE1000 V2
vs
HE6

EVERYONE GO

To me, those are two different flavors of headphones.

Assuming you do a few minor mods like put some good pads on and remove/replace the grill, the HE-6 is a energetic, reference sounding headphone. The HEKv1 is a more spacious, easy going headphone to relax with. I've not heard the v2, but supposedly it's a bit more aggressive/focused than the v1.

Other thing is the HE-6's need a beast of an amp to sound their best. Not as much with the HEK's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back