Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #3,077 of 3,817
How does the 2Qute compare to the Hugo and are there any reviews of the Trilogy Audio 931? I understand it's only available in England.

I've never heard the Hugo for any length of time to comment. The 2Qute is the best bits of Qute EXDAC and Hugo combined from my understanding, with all of the mobile features of the Hugo striped out. I want a dedicated desktop DAC, I'm not interested in portability.

As for the Trilogy, they are indeed a high end UK hi-fi company, the 931 (soon to be £995, currently £895) is a stripped down version of their 933 (£1995). It's a really nice amp with a huge amount of power, it's comparable to the Lyr 2, I don't use either past 12 o'clock.

You can find several reviews on their website. - http://www.trilogyaudio.com/reviews.html

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #3,078 of 3,817
N
Has anyone paired the Hugo with the Violectric HPA V281 amp and the HEKv2???

Sort of....
I have the V1 and had a V281 for a short time. I fed it with either the Chord Mojo or fully balanced with my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. The V281 is a extremely well built amp with tons of power. I felt the sound was a bit on the forgiving side, very easy to listen to. I liked it a lot, but decided to go with a single box solution to save desk space (Chord Hugo TT)

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #3,079 of 3,817
i m listening some hi res flac and dsd straight from hugo
the he1000 sounds good, but like this it become a normal- expansive-can
just a bit better then lcd x
the sound is warmer , slower, less detailed and less micro dynamic
then from the speaker taps
It's like to add a veil
from the speaker taps i get goose pumbs : Faster a lot of detail improved soundstage.. better then lcd3(from the speaker taps as well)
IMG_1737.JPG

i would not buy the he1000 or lcd3 to use them from hugo
but audeze lcd x and th900 are money better spent if I just want to stay with the hugo
(and th900 improve even more then lcd x from the luxman headphone output, i ll try the lcd x from the speaker taps as soon as i get the courage!)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #3,080 of 3,817
That's not my experience at all. I prefer the sound straight from Mojo, Hugo and DAVE, no matter what headphone amp I add to them – I perceive it as more accurate and unvarnished. So I guess it's a matter of somebody's sonic preferences.

That said, I equalize the HE1000, thus am largely independent from synergetic effects which an added amp may create. But note that synergetic effects are based on tonal flaws, passably masking each other. Also, an external amp basically re-amplifies the DACs' headphone output, so from and objective point of view some signal corruption is unavoidable – unless you believe in neutral amps.

If Mojo, Hugo and DAVE were too weak to drive the HE1000 properly, there would be clear signs of strain at higher levels or a less satisfying sound above a certain level, which effectively isn't the case. You'd have to postulate that even the DAVE can't drive the HE1000 with enough muscles, because I hear no difference in terms of «driving ability», between the three Chord DAC/amp combos in this respect.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #3,081 of 3,817
YEs we know!
I know the Dave only from the pictures and never listened the mojo with he1000, so can't talk about it
I would advise to not generalize and use a proper amp
Unfortunately It's not a matter of sonic preferences, but it become another, better headphone
As tried to describe in the previous post
I actually like he1000 from the Hugo, sound very good but imho don't worth the price in this configuration.
LCD x is not so far..
Another story when amped properly
Maybe I'm just spoiled

I already knew the result from before but wanted to give another listen to give you credit

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #3,082 of 3,817
Who is «we»?

May 4, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #3,084 of 3,817
Yesterday i got my V2
I have audtioned them a few times (comparing with the utopia) and i prefered the V2 mainly bercuase of the sound that makes everything sound so .. nice, The Utopias was a bit "stressful" to listen to at times, allthough i have not spent more than an hour in total.

Anyway, fresh out of the box they are lighter than i rememberred and so comfy. Out of my DP-X1 (waiting to plug in my Moon 430HA, and listen balanced) they do sound as nice as i remember. Less details than i remember and perhaps a bit of sibilance.. I guess that will solve itself after some burn-in.. However i'm happy (except that my wife had me turn of the music after she went to bed, even behind a closed door.. They do leak a bit :)

photo_2017-05-04_10-23-09.jpg

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3,086 of 3,817
Hi. Blue Hawaii Special Edition with Stax 009 or HE1000 v2 with Liquid Tungsten. What are the sonic differences and which is the better combo?

May 10, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #3,087 of 3,817
Got my V2 upgrade today.
1st impression: Much more comfortable, noticeably lighter and the headband is a LOT better. Much more adjustment steps are available now. Vocals are more present but bass is lighter, but I expect that to change with more playing time. Soundstage is a bit wider also :)
I am having the feeling that I want to stay here and listen to music rather than get up and do something else. That's always a very good sign.

One thing I didn't understand was Hifiman tells you NOT to send the box in with the upgrade, just return the headphones and the 3 cables. I didn't expect the new headphones and cables would come with a new box, but it did....so now I have 2.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #3,090 of 3,817
Mine just came in a bag... My impressions are similar to yours, going the bass increases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back