Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
May 26, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #151 of 3,817
  Looks like the HE1000 lacks dynamic range making it sound less "live" or engaging as posted by several beta testers.  Generally classical music has the widest dynamic range and the better recording techniques used for recording classical music bring the performance home in hi-end setups.. Go to a high end audio show and most demo material is classical music for a reason.

Dynamic range is the difference between the quietest and loudest volume of an instrumentpart or piece of music. In modern recording, this range is often limited through dynamic range compression, which allows for louder volume, but can make the recording sound less exciting or live.

Maybe it goes to amp used also. I listen to a lot of classical music, recorded and live and if the HE1000 were any more dynamic sounding, to me, it would be unnatural. They do well with Jimi Hendrix as well. :^) Joe Satriani comes across pretty well as well, though a little compressed at times, due to the recording. Back to classical, I have some Brahms, Clarinet Quintet in B minor op. 115, that is beautiful to listen to. 

May 26, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #152 of 3,817
  Looks like the HE1000 lacks dynamic range making it sound less "live" or engaging as posted by several beta testers.  Generally classical music has the widest dynamic range and the better recording techniques used for recording classical music bring the performance home in hi-end setups.. Go to a high end audio show and most demo material is classical music for a reason.

Dynamic range is the difference between the quietest and loudest volume of an instrumentpart or piece of music. In modern recording, this range is often limited through dynamic range compression, which allows for louder volume, but can make the recording sound less exciting or live.

@gurus, actually, I found it to be the exact opposite from my testing. The HE-1000 actually has an extremely wide dynamic range (almost to the point of being abnormally wide I think), which caused me to boost up the volume from my normal levels to catch all the juicy low-level micro-details. I heard subtle volume variations in tracks that I've never noticed before. Refer to the dynamic range section in my HE-1k beta review for a more in-depth look on this particular sonic aspect (link in sig).

May 26, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #153 of 3,817
@gurus, actually, I found it to be the exact opposite from my testing. The HE-1000 actually has an extremely wide dynamic range (almost to the point of being abnormally wide I think), which caused me to boost up the volume from my normal levels to catch all the juicy low-level micro-details. I heard subtle volume variations in tracks that I've never noticed before. Refer to the dynamic range section in my HE-1k beta review for a more in-depth look on this particular sonic aspect (link in sig).

Gotta agree with Dennis here (Money4Me), the one thing I have been finding as a possible fault with these headphones is they need a lot of juice to get the low-level detail sounding great. This is turn can lead to the volume getting out of control, especially on the louder dynamic passages. I've taken them off at times and the volume, while on my head didn't seem excessive, was so loud they seemed like a pair of speakers once I took them off. I would suggest being careful with the HE1000 because the volume does seem to creep up on you until you realize how loudly you are actually listening.

May 26, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #154 of 3,817

Gotta agree with Dennis here (Money4Me), the one thing I have been finding as a possible fault with these headphones is they need a lot of juice to get the low-level detail sounding great. This is turn can lead to the volume getting out of control, especially on the louder dynamic passages. I've taken them off at times and the volume, while on my head didn't seem excessive, was so loud they seemed like a pair of speakers once I took them off. I would suggest being careful with the HE1000 because the volume does seem to creep up on you until you realize how loudly you are actually listening.

That probably partly reflects their incredibly low THD as shown in measurements, less penalty to turning to up to higher volumes and a bit easier to do that inadvertently.

May 26, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #155 of 3,817
Im not hearing any dynamic constraints with my setup, sound fairly perfect to my ears, this is with all genre's of music.

Currently listening to Dirt Floor at 24/96, it sounds revelatory ! Simply the best I've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG74u3OqS5w&list=PLIbbd-XCVdV1SHXJ9YZ04pJJI9D5aLVoh

May 26, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #156 of 3,817
I see! Now this is very helpful. Guess I'll stick with my plan to get the HE1000 first. I'm hoping the RYgg (Ragnarok + Yggdrasil) would bring both headphones to near their maximum potential. (Not willing to get any other more expensive amps anytime soon.)

+1. I hope to see how the HE1K sounds through my Yggdrasil and Ragnarock. Wednesday can not get hear fast enough lol.

May 26, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #157 of 3,817
Money's mini review really needs to end up on the front page here at HF. Excellent work sir!

beerchug.gif

May 26, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #159 of 3,817
Money's mini review really needs to end up on the front page here at HF. Excellent work sir!

:beerchug:

1+
The work and detail are amazing, great job!

May 26, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #160 of 3,817
I found hd 800 failed to bring the sound signature they want us to hear :  bright sound won't fit with big soundstage .they need to correct the 800 ,mids and the treble also the bass is so weak . even with my best amp still sucks .
I want to Thank money4me247

This is one of the most impressive review I ever read .

May 26, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #162 of 3,817
It is hard to hear them now, as they are pre release. They should be available to hear at some shows/meets in the next few months, though. Waitin's a bitch, though!
(in the end, though, you may not agree with other's opinions of them...there is no absolute authority. If someone tells what to do, and you buy on that, could be very sorry).

But...not the type of info that could help me choose one over the other.

That would be called hearing them yourself and forming your own opinions.

Perhaps you should try doing that?

May 26, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #163 of 3,817
I am not so sure that the HE1000 lack detail unless you turn them up. I have some music that is well recorded and has a wide dynamic range, with much of this in classical. Now if I listen to the quiet passages, they are sometimes too quiet and I turn up the volume, only to get blasted when the full range of the orchestra comes into play. Have I heard this in live orchestral music, yes. And this is what I am hearing with the HE1000, a full dynamic range but it seems you can't have it both ways, if you want what is on the recording to be rendered by the monitors you are using if you want them truly neutral and by neutral I mean, not enhancing the sound in any way that the dynamics are compressed so that you have the full spectrum but not really as it was recorded. IMO And, I hope this makes sense. :^) This is one of my impressions of the sound from the HE1000. 

My hearing is normal to above normal and thankfully I still hear to 17khz, which is good enough for me. 

May 26, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #164 of 3,817
^This is prob the answer to my questions. I am just hoping its not a soft sounding headphone. 
Quote:

Quote:
Hifiman HE1000 (beta) Review by money4me247

Good in-depth review.  Lots of information..

A few things?

I noticed you kept calling the 560s a flagship.  Did I miss something I thought the HE-6 was the flagship?

About the midrange.  If you didn't notice any midrange magic off the bat and you refer to the midrange as somewhat recessed on certain music - may not be a good thing for current HE-6 owners.  IMO the HE-6 midrange is a few levels up when compared to the 560.  If the HE1000 is not better than the 560 in that area, that may be of some concern. 

I know U-shape sound sigs are fun to listen to, I enjoy the TH900s and the HE-4 for their U-Shape sound sig.  I for one would hope this is not the case with the HE1000.  IMO this would make the HE1000 a fun headphone oppose to a reference headphone.  Or maybe it's a reference fun headphone. 

Since people are asking for SR009 comparisons, can I just chime in and say I agree with that impression (with the KGSSHV). I also find the HD800 (modded with rug liner, no dust cover) more transparent, in terms of absolutely realism. 

Some might not get it with lesser amps. I certainly think the HE1000 sounds better than my HD800 when driven with a cheap amp or, hmmm, out of my motherboard. The HE1000 is easy to drive but scales with better equipment. But it doesn't suck with lesser equipment like the HD800 does. Oh god, I dread thinking about how the HD800 sounded off my Little Dot MKIV.....

lo..

How can any headphone be considered transparent with a rug liner mod on it?  Logically speaking it seems that would muffle the sound and the windows becomes not as clear.    Just asking...

This is exactly what I was thinking^

Also what concerns me is that he said it has to be played loud!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... 

May 26, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #165 of 3,817
Exceptionally fine review. Sooner or later you answered all of the questions that were floating in my head about this extraordinay headphone. The audio gods were looking favorably upon you in giving you this opportunity. The Lyr 2 is my primary amp, so it was most helpful to me to have that as your go-to amp in this review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back