Official: Grado / Alessandro Liberators [CARBON FIBER] PRICING ANNOUNCED!!!
May 12, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #46 of 242
Maybe he meant wood, with carbon fiber glued onto it for the look?

In the case that the distancers are around the <$40 CAD mark, I'd be interested. But I would be really interested if you could get a source for the Grado bowls for something more befitting of two pieces of foam (ie. Not $70). I'd rather not pay $100 for a pair of $100 headphones if I can help it.

May 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #47 of 242
Carbon fiber, plastic or alike is the only material that is suitable for mass production. When I started designing my distancers 2 years ago, that was also my first approach, I tried to build a form and build casting distancers out of that. Unfortunally, that didn't work out good enough and produced lots of cancer smells in my cellar, so I resigned and chose wood. The downside of wood is that it's a heck of a lot work compared to a simple casting solution.

May 13, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #48 of 242
Ntropic, Idk if you kepts the box the grado's came in, but if you are crafty enough, you can mold the foam from that in the box, I saw a thread here that did that, not the best looking, but apparently they worked well enough

NickChen: Yea, I can see where working with wood is unpleasant as opposed to injection molding and the like.  Maybe hitting up Grado for their old mold press would be a good idea haha

May 15, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #53 of 242

Quote:
Sounds very interesting! I am particularly interested in the sound qualities of carbon fiber over some traditional materials such as, say, wood or metal.

offtopic Nice avatar, Kenshin, just watched a couple episodes tonight, I'm on Season 3 ep 21 :D /offtopic

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #58 of 242
No idea yet

once we get them in we will know better once we figure out basic packaging and shipping costs...

We are going to try to make it a no brainer with flat rate shipping per country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back