Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
May 7, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #331 of 761
I picked up a K701 on a whim recently. They were headroom's B stock so I'm not sure how many hours are on them but I suspect they're not fully burned it yet. My initial impressions mirror that of swt61. I find them quite laid back. I haven't heard any of the high end senn's, but to me there appears to be a sort of veil, blanket over everything. Of course I'm comparing this in relation to my AD900. Also I find I have to turn them a bit up to get the same level of detail as my AD's, but that's probably due to the higher impedance. Which leads me to believe you need a pretty good amp and/or source to drive these to their full potential.

The bass is quite lovely though, as compared to my AD900. And people say they come more into bloom after full burn in. Some orchestral background music in WoW sounded really nice, especially the drums. I actually stopped what I was doing just so I could hear the whole piece.

Also the soundstage is okay, it'll probably get better with burn in. I find the instrument seperation and soundstage better on my AD900. They're also more 'airy' than the K701.

I think I'm more a fan of the forward bright sounding side of things. I haven't heard grados yet, stayed away due to them being described as fatiguing and lacking in soundstage. One thing though, these K701 do have a pleasant tonal balance, and are easily the most non fatiguing phones I've listened to. But then again I haven't heard too many cans.

I have a DR150 on order at hificables and they last emailed me saying stocks from the supplier would be available may 9th, so I suspect people may be getting their orders 2nd week of may-ish.

I have the K701's burning in, don't have too much experience with cans or the lingo but when I get the GR's, I'll try to post some objective comparisons as best I can.

Edit: warrior05: I just remembered, 'tilt' who sold his Goldring's recently, has a K701 I believe.

May 7, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #333 of 761
swt61: In your listenings with the K701, how do you think the bass fares against the DR150. In terms of quantity and quality, and amp requirement?

All you DR150 owners getting barraged with questions ... appreciate the replies to us 'hold our breath while we wait for the DR150's' people
tongue.gif

May 7, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #334 of 761
thanks for the feedback, swt61 and brn80. the problem with the K340s is they have been discontinued. it seems from all the info i've culled from numerous threads that the only way to get a GR type of sound signature is through modding. so i guess i'm trying to discern what cans to start with. it seems like the HD6x0s respond to mods and certain amps so i'm considering those. i really don't think i'm a grado kind of guy. beyers don't seem to suit me either. i was also considering A900LTD but i have a pair of AD700s and i've never gotten used to the unconventional fit and how they're always loose. i can't tilt my head backwards or forwards without them moving around on me.

hmm... perhaps i just talked myself into buying another set of GRs and tweaking the bejesus out of them!
evil_smiley.gif
that's the thing with the GRs - i just love the sound signature. now i just want more of it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 7, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #335 of 761
Can some one point me to the Candian retailer that will ship to the lower 48 for these cans?

May 8, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #338 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80
swt61: In your listenings with the K701, how do you think the bass fares against the DR150. In terms of quantity and quality, and amp requirement?

All you DR150 owners getting barraged with questions ... appreciate the replies to us 'hold our breath while we wait for the DR150's' people
tongue.gif

I think the bass is quite nice on the K701, they're just more suited to music other than rock IMO. The bass on the DR150's is every bit as present as the K701's, and also pretty tight and clean.

May 8, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #339 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
I think the bass is quite nice on the K701, they're just more suited to music other than rock IMO. The bass on the DR150's is every bit as present as the K701's, and also pretty tight and clean.

Yea but the bass is pretty punchy
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

May 8, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #340 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
thanks for the feedback, swt61 and brn80. the problem with the K340s is they have been discontinued. it seems from all the info i've culled from numerous threads that the only way to get a GR type of sound signature is through modding. so i guess i'm trying to discern what cans to start with. it seems like the HD6x0s respond to mods and certain amps so i'm considering those. i really don't think i'm a grado kind of guy. beyers don't seem to suit me either. i was also considering A900LTD but i have a pair of AD700s and i've never gotten used to the unconventional fit and how they're always loose. i can't tilt my head backwards or forwards without them moving around on me.

hmm... perhaps i just talked myself into buying another set of GRs and tweaking the bejesus out of them!
evil_smiley.gif
that's the thing with the GRs - i just love the sound signature. now i just want more of it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

It sounds like the new Grado GS1000 would be the headphones to own if you like the DR150's but want to go to a much higher level. I have not heard them myself, but am considering them even at the $1000.00 buy in. They are circumaural, and have a huge soundstage according to most reviews from the national meet.

May 8, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #341 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Yea but the bass is pretty punchy
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Oh the bass on the GR's is definately punchier and more fun for rock, blues, some jazz and other genres as well. I think the 701 would be a good set of headphones for classical.

May 8, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #342 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Oh the bass on the GR's is definately punchier and more fun for rock, blues, some jazz and other genres as well. I think the 701 would be a good set of headphones for classical.

Thanks for the replies swt61. The 701's are burning in atm. but I'm not sure I'm liking the laid back sound of them. I see how they would do well for classical esp. orchestral music. I think I prefer a more aggresive phone that's a bit on the brighter side of things. I should listen to the grado sound for the sake of adding it to my listening reportoire at some point. But I have a feeling I might really enjoy these DR's. I knew I should've taken the plunge right at the start when I asked you about them, back in the day
tongue.gif
.. and you were right on your reply to me.. they've gone out of stock
very_evil_smiley.gif
I find myself really loving the KSC 75's I picked up last week, and I was thinking if I could get more bass in it, I would be perfectly happy with it. I'm almost tempted to just get rid of everything and be part of Team Frugal
tongue.gif
.. but from what you guys said that these are a more refined KSC 75... I can't wait... ahhh waiting-itis..
eggosmile.gif

Edit: Ahhh.. 100th post on the DR150 thread.. most memorable way to break the 100 barrier
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #343 of 761
Hi brn80, let me know how the DR150 sound as compared to the AD900, which I see is part of your stable of headphones. I had a chance to hear the AD900 and thought that the bass response wasn't as good as the DR150, but was rather a tad clearer than the DR150..

It'll be interesting to hear what you hear from the 2 of them..

May 9, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #344 of 761
Thought I would share this with you guys first before everyone else. This is my sweet new headphone stand made personally for me by Steve himself (swt61). He did an EXCELLENT job, made it quick and shipped it quick with plenty of protection. It is beautiful and well crafted. The only thing you have to look out for is having only 1 can on it makes it tipsy. I am very happy with his work and service, so if you guys are in the market for a cool and unique wooden can stand, talk to Steve!
sa7000082xb.jpg

sa7000127yb.jpg

sa7000165ft.jpg

sa7000174tx.jpg

sa7000186sy.jpg

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #345 of 761
WOW!! tha base is maple right.. looks really nice..

Hi swt61, at the rate tat you are making stands for Team DR150, Larry could have a serious competitor real soon!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back