Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
May 6, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #316 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
how would the comfort of the dr150 compare to that of bose triports?

i auditoined a pair at my local circuit city and the triports are the most comfortable headphones i've ever put on my head. beating the koss ksc just by a bit

and yes, the headfi chip that was installed in my brain did got a little crazy when i realized that i had a pair of triports on, but saved myself some sanity by not turning the music on

I would say more comfy. They have soft velour pads and headband, very nice. The triports have pleather, which can get sweaty. These are VERY comfy cans.

May 6, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #317 of 761
Nice to see this thread still going strong,other than trying some different copper cables that i already had [and so far sticking with the supplied QED one],i can only report my continued satisfaction with the DR150's.
I'm tending to just enjoy without the need to think about the headphones when listening which is a good sign for me
icon10.gif

May 7, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #320 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Sadly this is from memory huh Duke? Here's hoping you get yours soon.

Sadly yes. STOP TEASING ME! They'll be here soon, my precioussss.

May 7, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #322 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
I would say more comfy. They have soft velour pads and headband, very nice. The triports have pleather, which can get sweaty. These are VERY comfy cans.

thnx, the triports were the first circumaurals i've ever put on, so i had nothing to compare with

May 7, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #323 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
thnx, the triports were the first circumaurals i've ever put on, so i had nothing to compare with

They have a much better headband too. They are a lot more open than the triports too, so they breathe...

May 7, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #324 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
They have a much better headband too. They are a lot more open than the triports too, so they breathe...

And they have the added advantage of actually having a frequency responce!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 7, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #325 of 761
Quote:

And they have the added advantage of actually having a frequency responce!
very_evil_smiley.gif

BURNED!
evil_smiley.gif

May 7, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #327 of 761
Hi swt61, I was thinking of getting a soldering iron too and start experimenting with making my own IC.... but, mmm.. too lazy to find out when to even start..
k1000smile.gif

May 7, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #328 of 761
boy, the DR150s continue to surprise me! i rarely listen to jazz but just picked up a Wes Montgomery recording and the instrument separation really impressed me! it was like when i listened to Bonnie Raitt's Fundamental Things. i felt like i was in the studio but on a grander scale because the size of the band. i can easily pick out the location of the horns, drums, congos, bass and - of course - Wes' sweet sweet guitar playing.

this leads me into a question. i've been considering AKG's K701 as a reference can. i want to make the next step up in head-fi and thought i would start with 'phones and then source. anyone with the DR150s have or have heard the K701s and can offer some comparisons? from reading the recent threads about the AKGs it seems like they have a similar sound signature to the GRs but more so in regards to detail and soundstage.

thanks, guys!

PS. it's great that this thread is still going strong. over 325 posts. we rock!
eggosmile.gif

May 7, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #329 of 761
Quote:

Duke, have you been notified if yours have shipped yet? Or are they backordered?

I got an email around April 25th when I put in the order that they were out of stock and they would ship May 1st. Since then I haven't gotten any information.

May 7, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #330 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
boy, the DR150s continue to surprise me! i rarely listen to jazz but just picked up a Wes Montgomery recording and the instrument separation really impressed me! it was like when i listened to Bonnie Raitt's Fundamental Things. i felt like i was in the studio but on a grander scale because the size of the band. i can easily pick out the location of the horns, drums, congos, bass and - of course - Wes' sweet sweet guitar playing.

this leads me into a question. i've been considering AKG's K701 as a reference can. i want to make the next step up in head-fi and thought i would start with 'phones and then source. anyone with the DR150s have or have heard the K701s and can offer some comparisons? from reading the recent threads about the AKGs it seems like they have a similar sound signature to the GRs but more so in regards to detail and soundstage.

thanks, guys!

PS. it's great that this thread is still going strong. over 325 posts. we rock!
eggosmile.gif

No, i would think of them as more opposites than similar. The K701's have a really nice midrange, great instrument seperation, detail and a very nice soundstage, but the sound sig is very different. They are not at all forward sounding, they're more nuetral and to me a tad bit layed back. While i like them a lot i honestly think a modded pair of K340's blows them out of the water. Both AKG's are great for classical, female vocals, big band, swing, choral music and so on, but not forward enough for me to call a great rock can. That's why i wanted to try the GR's, so i'd have a good rock can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I got an email around April 25th when I put in the order that they were out of stock and they would ship May 1st. Since then I haven't gotten any information.

I really do hope they get more stock, and get them to you soon! I guess they weren't ready for the overwhelming responce. Blame Kalidor, he's the one that got me lookin' into them! LOL! Just kidding Kalidor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalidor
Hi swt61, I was thinking of getting a soldering iron too and start experimenting with making my own IC.... but, mmm.. too lazy to find out when to even start..
k1000smile.gif

I think if i do OK on my first project it's going to create a monster!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back