Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Oct 4, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #1,171 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by stairway123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put Koss KEB 24 tips on mine, excellent noise isolation. My roommate was screaming at me and beating on the door... no clue. The bass really pours through. Sony EX tips fit me fine and are more comfortable, but absolutely incredible isolation and bass with these. These are no less comfortable than the Denon's.

Look closely at the photograph below: the tips come to the outer edge of the phone, almost touching it. And I really had to press hard and wiggle for them to go on, but once I did they fit very securely. Quite a remarkable experience with this combonation.

Buy them for $5 here:
:: KOSS :: Welcome

I ordered two sets of these direct from Koss and I have to say thanks for the recommendation! I was using the Sony EX tips from my A816 DAP and they did help, but I had to put the C700s in upside down and that made the wire routing annoying. For me, the Koss tips are far more comfortable than the Sony tips and I can insert the phones normally with no loss of the bass or SQ. If anything, I think it helped take the edge off the treble. Now I just have to get into the DAC settings on the player and tweak those.

clubbinwar, I would probably ask Amazon for an exchange before too much time passes. Usually the complaint with these phones is the overly bright treble. I'd see if Koss will ship the tips to you. You might have to call them though. Depending on wear you are in Brazil, they might be one or two hours behind your time too.

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #1,172 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by clubbinwar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i seriously feel like i bought some fake earphones, and i did buy them from amazon.com.
c751s (at least out of the box) sound extremely unnatural. i only hear bass and midrange, and the latter is too exagerated.
i could almost say the koss portapro sounds better then them.
the problem could be the stock silicone tips, which hurt my ears sometimes also.
too bad i can't order comply foam tips to brazil.

You can via a lot of places such as earplugstore.com and Ebay.
The stock tips suck tbh and also to note, the C751's do require burn-in. I've found 35-40 hours to be sufficient.

Just burn them in overnight over several nights and you'll be sweet.

The forwardness of the mids lessens a bit and the treble isn't as harsh once burnt in.

I recommend the Comply T400 tips to replace the joke that are the default tips or the less isolational but still significantly better than the defaults, Sony EX series tips.
Note though that the Comply tips will add a tiny bit of sibilance (but the gain in isolation = worth it.).

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #1,173 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can via a lot of places such as earplugstore.com and Ebay.
The stock tips suck tbh and also to note, the C751's do require burn-in. I've found 35-40 hours to be sufficient.

Just burn them in overnight over several nights and you'll be sweet.

The forwardness of the mids lessens a bit and the treble isn't as harsh once burnt in.

I recommend the Comply T400 tips to replace the joke that are the default tips or the less isolational but still significantly better than the defaults, Sony EX series tips.
Note though that the Comply tips will add a tiny bit of sibilance (but the gain in isolation = worth it.).

yeah, i dont really think thats the case (fake phones). but they did go way under my expectations (for $100...)
overtime im noticing the sound is not that unnatural, and maybe whats bothering me so much (mids) could be fixed with some burn-in.
how much doing burn-in could change sq-wise?
ive experienced burn in with my portapros once, but they didnt change that much.

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #1,174 of 1,418
35-40 hours as I said
wink.gif

Others have stated 100 hours but I've found 35-40 hours to be enough to be noticeable.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #1,175 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lastly, one thing I've noticed from this thread, is that everyone who's bought them seems to 'hear' the same sound as everyone else. When I first started reading reviews on headphones, I found it very confusing when one person said x phone had loads of bass and another person said the same phone had no bass. . . but so far, the C700s seem to sound exactly the same to all of us. There's no contradictory comments about the bass being crap, or the mids being recessed. I think Denon made a great headphone, easy to use, nice tangle-free wire and fantastic sound. I'm glad everyone's liking them so far. Now we just need antonyfirst's review. . .
biggrin.gif

I just got my pair of C700s and must dissent in terms of this description. I don't know if I got a bum pair, but the highs are thin but detailed, the mids are present but fairly recessed, and the bass is almost non-existent. I'm using Ultimate Ears replacement tips and am obviously not getting an amazing seal...decent but flimsy (silicone).

I bought them used and they came with no other tips.

Any thoughts?

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #1,176 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by velveteer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my pair of C700s and must dissent in terms of this description. I don't know if I got a bum pair, but the highs are thin but detailed, the mids are present but fairly recessed, and the bass is almost non-existent. I'm using Ultimate Ears replacement tips and am obviously not getting an amazing seal...decent but flimsy (silicone).

I bought them used and they came with no other tips.

Any thoughts?

Like you said, no seal = no bass. So go get the complys or Sony Ex tips now.

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #1,177 of 1,418
Indeed, my apologies to all. The issue was one of getting the correct seal. In fact, these are fairly impressive upon having corrected the issue. Nice full bass, satisfying sound overall.

Not sure if they're in the same league as my old Shure e4s in terms of sheer tightness of sound, but definitely a contender.

Thanks everyone!

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #1,178 of 1,418
Hi, I've ordered a pair of C751 and am on the lookout for replacement tips.
Read already quite some posts about it and have narrowed the choices to the shure olives and sony ex.
Question is: how do the small shure olives compare sizewise against the small tips that come along the sennheiser CX300, which I currently use and do fit well? Shoul I order small or medium?
Given I'm in Brasil, I'll have to buy from abroad, so I gotta get it right first time...won't be able to return them!
Appreciate your input!

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #1,179 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by urco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I've ordered a pair of C751 and am on the lookout for replacement tips.
Read already quite some posts about it and have narrowed the choices to the shure olives and sony ex.
Question is: how do the small shure olives compare sizewise against the small tips that come along the sennheiser CX300, which I currently use and do fit well? Shoul I order small or medium?
Given I'm in Brasil, I'll have to buy from abroad, so I gotta get it right first time...won't be able to return them!
Appreciate your input!

I prefer the Koss tips over the Sony EX tips by a WIDE margin. I added the Koss tips to my Sony EXs for my wife and she commented on how much more comfortable they are now and asked what I did to them... Personally, I found the Shure olives very uncomfortable to wear for much longer than 30 minutes or so. A little longer than the Denon stock tips, but not much. I don't have the Senn 'phones so I can't help you out there, but the Koss small tips are on par with the Denon and Sony tips as far as size.

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #1,180 of 1,418
I'm just wondering, i don't own an ah-c751, but why don't any of you use the bi-flanged tips from the re-1s and 2s.

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #1,181 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just wondering, i don't own an ah-c751, but why don't any of you use the bi-flanged tips from the re-1s and 2s.

Cuz they don't fit! The C751's design already sticks out of the ear far enough!
duggehsmile.png

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #1,182 of 1,418
they can stick further and you'll look uber cool!

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #1,183 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the Koss tips over the Sony EX tips by a WIDE margin. I added the Koss tips to my Sony EXs for my wife and she commented on how much more comfortable they are now and asked what I did to them... Personally, I found the Shure olives very uncomfortable to wear for much longer than 30 minutes or so. A little longer than the Denon stock tips, but not much. I don't have the Senn 'phones so I can't help you out there, but the Koss small tips are on par with the Denon and Sony tips as far as size.

Thanks, BoilermakerFan!

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #1,185 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by clubbinwar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i seriously feel like i bought some fake earphones, and i did buy them from amazon.com.
c751s (at least out of the box) sound extremely unnatural. i only hear bass and midrange, and the latter is too exagerated.
i could almost say the koss portapro sounds better then them.
the problem could be the stock silicone tips, which hurt my ears sometimes also.
too bad i can't order comply foam tips to brazil.

This is similar to my experience. The highs are harsh and I can't listen very long. I'm gonna give it a few more days to burn-in although I thought earphones don't need burn-in. I am coming from the Super.fi 5 Pros (but they broke cause I gave them a monster stomp accidentally when they fell out of my pocket). I never really liked the Super.fi's to tell the truth but I don't really like these any better.

The bass is better on the Denons with midbass and impact that I thought was missing in the super.fi. The mids are super forward which I think messes up the soundstage (the super.fi beats the Denons easily here IMO). It has better treble extension but its a bit harsh right now (my biggest complaint with the 5 Pros was the lack of high spectrum detail and the rolled off highs). It's not that I hate them but they are not impressing me.

But of course this is all my opinion. In fact I just opened up the box 30 mins ago so these impression are just super initial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back