Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Apr 11, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #1,066 of 1,418
Guess why that's why I sold my C700s, never got to the 100-hour burn-in stage, as to me, they also seemed harsh in the mids. In fact, I picked up a pair of 551s and after 24 hours of white noise, they too seem way too harsh on voices/mids. Right now, I am doing to comparison with the new head-direct canalphones, the RE2s, directly against the Denons, and while the Denons are a little more sparkly, they again are irritating during the vocals, especially compared to the RE2s, which have a much smoother, warm mid signature. I will post on the comparison, since they are about the same price (MSRP).

Is the problem with Denons that they require a lot of burn in compared to other similar phones? If so, I guess I will give the 551s a lot more time to burn in.

Apr 12, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #1,067 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess why that's why I sold my C700s, never got to the 100-hour burn-in stage, as to me, they also seemed harsh in the mids. In fact, I picked up a pair of 551s and after 24 hours of white noise, they too seem way too harsh on voices/mids. Right now, I am doing to comparison with the new head-direct canalphones, the RE2s, directly against the Denons, and while the Denons are a little more sparkly, they again are irritating during the vocals, especially compared to the RE2s, which have a much smoother, warm mid signature. I will post on the comparison, since they are about the same price (MSRP).

Is the problem with Denons that they require a lot of burn in compared to other similar phones? If so, I guess I will give the 551s a lot more time to burn in.

Hey Tom,
I have been listening to my C551's almost exclusively the last couple days, and they are calming down to my ears. I really like them, especially for $65. The bass punch is very nice, especially being used to a somewhat more lean bass from the SA6. To me it was the treble that seemed harsh at first, but it is definitely getting a bit more mellow with time. After the smooth, lush, & refined mids/treble of the SA6 though nothing will seem refined! The mids actually seemed more recessed and constricted (the best way I can describe it) in comparison to the SA6, so I edged up the mid band on my Vibez's EQ a couple ticks... and that did the trick for the mids. The treble was what I found somewhat problematic but it is improving with time.

I look forward to your comparison to the Head-direct RE2. Keep us posted.

-Cheers.

Apr 12, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #1,068 of 1,418
But even after extrensive playing in, the treble will never be smooth.

Apr 12, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #1,069 of 1,418
Good points (about using EQ) and settling in. To do my comparison with the RE2, I'm using the Zune80, so no EQ, which is good I think in doing a comparison.

Listening right now, and they seem less harsh, but a lot seems to depend on the track/recording, which is always the case of course.

I do like their clear, clean sound, and the bass is definitely there. Need more time for the comparison with the RE2s. Didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Tom,
I have been listening to my C551's almost exclusively the last couple days, and they are calming down to my ears. I really like them, especially for $65. The bass punch is very nice, especially being used to a somewhat more lean bass from the SA6. To me it was the treble that seemed harsh at first, but it is definitely getting a bit more mellow with time. After the smooth, lush, & refined mids/treble of the SA6 though nothing will seem refined! The mids actually seemed more recessed and constricted (the best way I can describe it) in comparison to the SA6, so I edged up the mid band on my Vibez's EQ a couple ticks... and that did the trick for the mids. The treble was what I found somewhat problematic but it is improving with time.

I look forward to your comparison to the Head-direct RE2. Keep us posted.

-Cheers.

Apr 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #1,070 of 1,418
Quote:

Good points (about using EQ) and settling in. To do my comparison with the RE2, I'm using the Zune80, so no EQ, which is good I think in doing a comparison.

Listening right now, and they seem less harsh, but a lot seems to depend on the track/recording, which is always the case of course.

I do like their clear, clean sound, and the bass is definitely there. Need more time for the comparison with the RE2s. Didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Tom, it's not hijacking in the slightest. It's still Denon related
biggrin.gif

Plus the C700s and C551 are so similar in sound it's really not that easy to pick out which is which. I told cn11 that the only real difference (to me) is that the bass and treble seem to be slightly 'reversed' on the C551s, which is great for anyone who wants more bass and less treble. Having reclaimed the C551s from the other half (temporarily), I was amazed how much they sounded like my C700s. He listens to his all the time so they've had plenty of burn in. And the price is unreal considering the Sennheiser CX300s are within the same price range.

Apr 12, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #1,071 of 1,418
No doubt, that $65 price is a knockout. I just posted a review of the 551s compared to the new Head-Direct RE2s. I like them both. And I also like the smaller form factor of the 551s over the C700s, which always seemed too large to me. You should really try some Complys. I should send you a pair, on the slow boat.

Apr 12, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #1,072 of 1,418
Quote:

You should really try some Complys. I should send you a pair, on the slow boat.

I would LOVE some Complys. I always thought they were an urban foamtip myth
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #1,073 of 1,418
Update - after about 20 hours of burn-in, the harshness I detected on certain music with the C751s has been reduced significantly. These are still definitely forward sounding headphones, but I am much happier with their sound now.

One other point - I swapped the ear pieces with those from my old Senn CX300s. Even though they look almost identical, the CX300s ear pices fit *much* better than the Denons, and really made the bass tick up a notch or two (the only other thing that I was less than thrilled about in my initial impression of the C751s).

I think we have a winner here ...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbdmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After living with the Senn CX300s for about a year, I finally decided that it was time for an upgrade, and the current deal on the C751s was too good to pass up.

After listening to them to a few hours, I am generally pleased with the sound, esp. the nice tight bass compared to the boom-boom of the CX300s. My only concern is the midrange/treble. These are certainly more forward than the CX300s, and remind me a bit of the HD595s; they sound great on most vocals / classical / jazz.

However, on some songs the C751s are just *too* forward and become irritating. I esp. notice this on older material which tends to be more mid-rangey to begin with; I remember switching to an old Dave Clark Five song (circa 1964) on my IPod Classic and thinking "damn, this sounds crappy".

So, will the sound signature of these change significantly and I use them a bit more, or am a just finding out that better IEMs reveal a poorly balanced recording more than the IEMs I used before?

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #1,074 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbdmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update - after about 20 hours of burn-in, the harshness I detected on certain music with the C751s has been reduced significantly. These are still definitely forward sounding headphones, but I am much happier with their sound now.

One other point - I swapped the ear pieces with those from my old Senn CX300s. Even though they look almost identical, the CX300s ear pices fit *much* better than the Denons, and really made the bass tick up a notch or two (the only other thing that I was less than thrilled about in my initial impression of the C751s).

I think we have a winner here ...
biggrin.gif

That's pretty much what I went through. With some burn in and proper amping these became brilliant portable cans (a bit bass heavy though). My ears adjusted a fair bit to the sound as well - I was never a big treble fan before.

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #1,076 of 1,418
Picked up the AH-C700 from Fry's for about $60-ish. I had the AH-D1001 before, but I always find that full-size headphones make my ears too hot. Anyway, I've been trying various tips from other earbuds I've bought over the years and the Denons been good to me so far. Here's my solution for the lack of a carrying case.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #1,077 of 1,418
Hi guys, I today recieved my new C700s, as iHeadphones only got them in stock yesterday...

First impressions, with my Shuffle, are OK. The trebles are a bit muffled, but that is cus I need to get used to them, and no EQ tweaks yet. The bass is awesome, I don't need anymore. The detail is impressive, but I feel that the Shuffle isn't quite good enough for these, I will see as time progresses.

From what I can see, they are very well built. I am worried they might scratch though, can somebody run up on this?

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #1,078 of 1,418
Treble was harsh after I first received them but after 10 hours of burning-in with pink noise, it started to smoothen out. It seems that from this thread, these phones need at least 100 hours of good burning in before it reveals its true potential.

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #1,079 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Treble was harsh after I first received them but after 10 hours of burning-in with pink noise, it started to smoothen out. It seems that from this thread, these phones need at least 100 hours of good burning in before it reveals its true potential.

What player do you have? I received mine today (hardly off my ears since lunchtime), I found the treble to be fine, plenty detail and sweet on iAudio 7, EQ flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back