Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Aug 25, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #31 of 1,418
There are two "WTB Denon C700" threads on the FS forum (one is mine
biggrin.gif
). Too bad no one is selling them... hahaha.

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #33 of 1,418
As I'd only compared the 700s directly with the 310s, I thought the opinion below might be helpful to anyone who wanted to know how the AH-C700 sounded compared with the Senn HD580s. I got a message from someone on another forum re: his view of the AH-C700, as he'd bought them after I bought mine, and I was curious to know if he thought they sounded as good as I did
biggrin.gif

I asked if I could copy/paste his message here and he agreed. Also, he mentioned relevant things that I forgot to include.
Quote:

You were right, the AH-C700’s are awesome! I’ve thrown everything I can at them and they are unflappable. This includes, Enigma, Mozart, Blue Man Group, Dave Koz, Linkin Park, Disturbed, Sarah Brightman, Joe Bonamassa, Mark Knopfler, Muddy Waters and more. First, let me start by saying that the low end is simply stunning. The C700’s nearly reach as low as my Senn 580’s. Actually, overall though the bass presentation is better than my 580’s. Being somewhat of a bass-head this was a very nice surprise. Compared to my 300’s, the bass is deep, tight and very controlled. The mids (vocals) are slightly more forward than the 300's and very close to the quality of my 580’s. Male vocals are especially warm and full. Actually, I’ve given up comparing them to my 300’s, because there’s no competition. I’ve been swapping them back and forth with my 580’s. My 580’s have a 3-D spatial separation that the C700 can’t reproduce. But of course the 580’s are full size cans, the drivers are further apart, larger and of higher quality. The highs are very good compared to the 580’s. They are silky and detailed without being tiring. I prefer a neutral to slightly warm sound, and these are very close to that. I’m now in the process of setting up my Samsung 7 band EQ for the C700’s.

Now for the nick-picking. I wish the mini connector was at a right angle. I thought this to be very odd for portable IEM to have a straight connector. But, of course I knew this before I ordered them. There is sound leakage, but it’s nominal. If it takes slight leakage to get this kind of bass, I’ll live with it.

The C700’s have to be the best IEM’s for under $200 USD. Now I’m glad Ety Research never returned my emails because I don’t think I would have been happy with the 4S’s low end. Thanks for the tip, you called it right!

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #35 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by quick01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/\ /\ /\

Hey quick01 - see, I copied and pasted your review word for word
icon10.gif

Do you know if the CX300 tips definitely fit the Denons? Someone 'borrowed' them so I can't check, and Denon don't seem to bother to let you know where you can get replacement tips.
frown.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #36 of 1,418
"Hey quick01 - see, I copied and pasted your review word for word".

Yes, the CX-300 tips will fit the AH-C700's but there is a dramatic drop off in bass response. I've already experimented with them because the 300's are so darn comfortable. I put the Med. tips from the 300's on the AH-C700's and then swapped back to the Med C700's once I heard the low end response.

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #39 of 1,418
dridiot The specs state:11mm drivers with neodymium magnets and 48" straight cord with gold-plated stereo mini-plug

The cable stays tangle-free no matter what!

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #40 of 1,418
Hey guys, you may want to try to widen the tubes of Shure black foam tips (with a pencil, for example, or a screwdriver) and report to us about sound with the Denon, and if it can be done
biggrin.gif

Ten minutes of "widening" should be enough. I did the same for my old d-JAYS, quite some months ago.

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #41 of 1,418
Thanks for the review soozieq! You peaked my interest in these earphones so I had to go out and buy them at Frys to test them. My first impressions are that they provide crisp clear sound without sacrificing the detail of music while adding bass. It's quite amazing actually! I remember reading on a different post that dynamic drivers provide a more "natural" sound and I agree with that.

Took some pictures comparing them to the SE310s. Hope it's okay to post directly into the thread.

img8157mg1.jpg

img8148ir6.jpg

img8159el1.jpg

img8160gh0.jpg

Now the question is...do I keep the SE310s
eggosmile.gif

The C700s seem to be more of the sound that I prefer over the SE310s. And I'm not knocking the SE310s either. They are excellent phones, but the C700s give me more of the bass that I'm looking for without sacrificing the clarity of music. It doesn't seem to matter what type of music I'm listening to, everything sounds excellent!

Aug 30, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #42 of 1,418
Quote:

Thanks for the review soozieq! You peaked my interest in these earphones so I had to go out and buy them at Frys to test them. My first impressions are that they provide crisp clear sound without sacrificing the detail of music while adding bass. It's quite amazing actually! I remember reading on a different post that dynamic drivers provide a more "natural" sound and I agree with that. The C700s seem to be more of the sound that I prefer over the SE310s. And I'm not knocking the SE310s either. They are excellent phones, but the C700s give me more of the bass that I'm looking for without sacrificing the clarity of music. It doesn't seem to matter what type of music I'm listening to, everything sounds excellent!

Nice pics and I'm really glad you like them
icon10.gif
Yes, the extra bass doesn't come at the expense of the mids or treble, that's what I really like about them, they just sound good with everything. I got to try my friend's 310s today for about 10 minutes and I tested a really bassy funk-rock track from the 70s, 'Baby Love' by Mother's Finest, and the difference in bass was so different I couldn't believe it. Both phones were as 'clear' as each other, but the 310 bass was just flat and uninspiring in comparison. I've listened to the same track about 20 times today because the bass on that song is addictive with the Denons
biggrin.gif

On a sour note, I called Denon in the UK today to ask about replacement silicon tips, and was told sheepishly that: "Er. . . umm, we haven't made any yet". Yes, they brought out a headphone with no replacement tips for it. They said they will 'probably' make some at some point
confused.gif
I tried some Sony tips and CX300 tips (as someone did earlier) but the bass drops off even though the fit appears to be the same. So for the time being, look after the existing tips! I don't quite understand how a company can bring out a new headphone without thinking that users would ever need replacement tips. It doesn't even compute. Anyway, glad you're happy with them, they're kind of an unexpected surprise on the ears aren't they?

Aug 30, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #43 of 1,418
you can tell by the size of the port on the back of the c700 that they will displace decent bass,giving the impression that the bass will be more efficiant than the inner bassport of the se310,but then again ports always make earphones more boomy than tight,closed earphones are usually tighter on bass,much like home or car subwoofers actually,in which the bigger the port the bigger the boom

i have not had oportunity to try the denon's tho,i own the shure se530 and love them dearly but i sometimes wonder what an outter port could do for the sound,but then they are on the warm side already,boom could be distructive to the sound,i do like the look of the se310 a little better,more sleek,the denons should be great tho

Aug 30, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #44 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On a sour note, I called Denon in the UK today to ask about replacement silicon tips, and was told sheepishly that: "Er. . . umm, we haven't made any yet". Yes, they brought out a headphone with no replacement tips for it. They said they will 'probably' make some at some point
confused.gif
I tried some Sony tips and CX300 tips (as someone did earlier) but the bass drops off even though the fit appears to be the same. So for the time being, look after the existing tips! I don't quite understand how a company can bring out a new headphone without thinking that users would ever need replacement tips. It doesn't even compute. Anyway, glad you're happy with them, they're kind of an unexpected surprise on the ears aren't they?

this sounds bizzare and almost as if denon was expecting the c700 to flop or not sell well,unbelievable
confused.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #45 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but i sometimes wonder what an outter port could do for the sound,but then they are on the warm side already,boom could be distructive to the sound,i do like the look of the se310 a little better,more sleek,the denons should be great tho

There's no 'boom', the bass is really really tight, no disruption at all, that's what makes them so unexpected, I was expecting them to sound good - just not this good
icon10.gif

Also, they're less obtrusive than the 310s, don't stick out as far, and the aluminium housing makes them look (and feel) nicer than the 310s. Like I said before, they have everything I felt was missing with the 310s, despite the fact I liked the 310s a lot. The Denons take all the clarity from the 310, add some unbelievably good bass and elevate the 310 sound to a new level altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back