Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Aug 23, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #16 of 1,418
Quote:

soozieq, would you mind saying a bit more about isolation and microphonics? Is isolation on par with other canalphones like the CX300, or does the ported design of the ATH-C700 reduce it even further? Is music drowned out by the sounds of the trains/planes/buses you mentioned, or do the C700s still afford enough isolation to enjoy each part of the frequency spectrum?

Isolation is really good. I haven't used them on the train yet, but I was pointing out that as the leakage is so slight (when tested in a quiet room) - other people on a train/plane/bus wouldn't be able to hear anything 'leaking' from the headphones. I am waiting for UO to come home (unsignificant other
580smile.gif
) and I'll get him to check the leakage of the CX300s compared with the 700s. He said he could barely hear anything coming from the 700s and I had them pretty loud for 'testing' purposes, so I'll do the same thing later with the 300s and let you know.

Quote:

The cord/earpiece design seems to suggest that over-the-ear looping is not really possible (at least not sustainably so) -- Can you in fact loop the cords over your ears without them slipping off? If not, how microphonic do you find them when worn hanging straight down while you're in motion?

I can wear them over my ears if I want and they still stay put. But as the cable is no longer a problem when it hangs down, I prefer to wear them straight down. The cable just stays put. As for microphonics/cord noise, there's nothing! I don't know if it's because of how the cable is constructed or whatever, but there's zilch noise/microphonics at all.

Quote:

Also, my stock question: Do you find them at all harsh or sibilant?

No and no. Definitely not harsh at all. Sibilant only on certain songs and I think that's something to do with the singer standing too close to the microphone (someone say if I'm wrong?), but I've had several pairs of headphones including the E500, and the same songs produce the same sibilance, so I have to assume it's the singer/microphone thing.

The only concern I can see, is that the filters could get clogged quite easily and I can't see how to clean them. One of the reviewers said he used to stick a pin in his Sony filters when they got clogged, but he didn't really want to do that with an expensive set of headphones. For the moment I'm making sure not to throw them anywhere dusty
rs1smile.gif
until I figure out how to clean the nozzles.

Re: pics. I'll try, but I still haven't managed to upload a photo on here yet that was bigger than a small spider (although some kind forum member has been guiding me through it!). Once I figure it out, I'll post some pics.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #17 of 1,418
I don't suppose Shure tips fit on the Denons? I have come to like the Shure reusable black foamies...

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #18 of 1,418
Do you think that treble is overemphasized? It's what I've gathered from some posts. Someone told that treble was painful at high volumes, unlike the Shure E500. But I found the E500 to be recessed in treble, so the Denon could just have the right amount of treble.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #19 of 1,418
Much obliged for your responses, soozieq! Let me know how the C700s fare in train travel whenever you get a chance to use them there. As for pics, you should be able to use an image-hosting website like ImageShack to upload and host the pics, and then you can use one of their provided forum codes link to them from here.

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #21 of 1,418
Quote:

I don't suppose Shure tips fit on the Denons? I have come to like the Shure reusable black foamies...

They don't fit
frown.gif
and I also like the Shure foamies. The Denon tips are very similar to the Sennheiser CX300, possibly exactly the same. I'll know later. I know they maintain a good grip so they always feel really secure.
Quote:

Let me know how the C700s fare in train travel whenever you get a chance to use them there. As for pics, you should be able to use an image-hosting website like ImageShack to upload and host the pics,

Thanks, but a nice forum member showed me how to use Photobucket, and I'm still in the process of figuring out how to attach a photo without using the 'manage attachment' feature, which seems to have a maximum limit of 25 KB??
Quote:

Do you think that treble is overemphasized? It's what I've gathered from some posts. Someone told that treble was painful at high volumes, unlike the Shure E500. But I found the E500 to be recessed in treble, so the Denon could just have the right amount of treble.

Antony, I don't think the treble is overemphasized at all, it is the perfect amount for me! I also found the E500s lacking in treble, which I now know some people don't mind as it's easier on the ears. But I like my treble a LOT, and the Denons are so sparkly and tinkly I think I'm in Denon heaven
3000smile.gif
I also read that review about how the clarity of the treble might be 'uncomfortable' at higher volumes, but it was in relation to rock/metal at very loud volumes -so that doesn't apply to me, but I got no sense at all that the treble was 'too much'. And the fact I haven't had to EQ them at all says a lot. I normally have to boost bass and treble but I don't need to do either now.

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #22 of 1,418
Nice review. I see that these are ported in the back. I thinking these might give the whistling effect(outside with wind) like other canalphones that have holes to let pressure escape. Any experience with that yet. Thanks!

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #23 of 1,418
Quote:

I thinking these might give the whistling effect(outside with wind) like other canalphones that have holes to let pressure escape. Any experience with that yet. Thanks!

I was out weeding in the garden for an hour (weeding, not weeing) and it was really windy and blowy but I didn't notice any whistling. I wasn't listening out for it, but I'm sure I'd have noticed it if it was there.
Quote:

epithetless: Is isolation on par with other canalphones like the CX300, or does the ported design of the ATH-C700 reduce it even further?

Well I just tested the CX300s against the 700s and UO (unsignificant other) said the leakage was exactly the same - only slightly audible if he was very close up to me. So I did the same test on him, and heard quite a lot of leakage. Then I realised he hadn't pushed them in far enough, so I helpfully rammed them in with the aid of a shovel,
etysmile.gif
and can honestly say the leakage is minimal. I'm 100% sure that no one would ever hear a thing coming out from them on a train etc. The one interesting point is the 300s and 700s are both rated 16ohms, but to get the same volume as the 300s on 17/30 - I had to raise the volume to 20/30 with the Denons. Doesn't sound like much but I guess that means the Denons might be fractionally less isolating?

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #24 of 1,418
"Unsignificant other" sounds funny. Does he know he's being called this way?
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #25 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one interesting point is the 300s and 700s are both rated 16ohms, but to get the same volume as the 300s on 17/30 - I had to raise the volume to 20/30 with the Denons. Doesn't sound like much but I guess that means the Denons might be fractionally less isolating?

No. You don't have to look at the impedance, but rather at the Sensitivity. The Denons have a sensitivity of 104 dB/mW, the CX300 are at 112. This means that volume has to be raised more with the Denon, but they also pick up much less hiss, if the player has it.

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #26 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Unsignificant other" sounds funny. Does he know he's being called this way?
biggrin.gif

But of course
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
You should hear how he refers to me
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Quote:

Louder volume needed on Denons: You don't have to look at the impedance, but rather at the Sensitivity. The Denons have a sensitivity of 104 dB/mW, the CX300 are at 112. This means that volume has to be raised more with the Denon, but they also pick up much less hiss, if the player has it.

I get easily confused by impedance and sensitivity so thanks Antony. So the lower the sensitivity, the higher the volume and the lower the hiss? I don't hear any hiss thank God.

Aug 23, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #27 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get easily confused by impedance and sensitivity so thanks Antony. So the lower the sensitivity, the higher the volume and the lower the hiss? I don't hear any hiss thank God.

Exactly. The Denons would have a lot of difficulties to pick even the slightest hiss out of the Kenwood.
My 109dB Etys, in quite environments, did.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #28 of 1,418
Reading this thread has piqued my interest in the Denons. I have Mylar X3s and they are OK. Now I am considering the Denons or the Atrio M5s. I want the best performance for vocals, which from the OP’s review would make the Denons the front-runner. I just feel the Mylars are missing something. Would the Denons (or the Atrios) improve on the presentation of vocals, or should I stick with the Mylars and stop the bleeding?

Thanks all!

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #29 of 1,418
If you want the best performance for vocals, apart from the Denons, I would suggest the Etymotic ER4P well over the Atrio M5.

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #30 of 1,418
Quote:

If you want the best performance for vocals, apart from the Denons, I would suggest the Etymotic ER4P well over the Atrio M5.

Honus, Antony knows his stuff. I haven't tried the Etymotics so can't comment but I know they're highly regarded just about everywhere. And some of the reviews do state although the ER4P's are more detailed than the Denons (which doesn't surprise me as they're know for their detail) - the Denon's bass 'clobbers' the Etys.

It all depends how critical a listener you are. I've discovered that my own listening preferences are completely satisfied with the Denons and my Sony dap combination, and for the bargain price of $125 I just can't find a single thing to complain about. That's almost unheard of for me
340smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back