official chicago meet july 31
Jul 1, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #62 of 159
i am from milwaukee area and interested in this kind of stuff...i am very interested in getting either ER-4s or ER-6s in near future, but more importantly, i am interested in all this crazy DAC stuff i have been hearing about from my colleague momerath. (i have trouble believing that reclocking a s/pdif signal will make it sound different (or better), but i have open mind!)

i don't have any cool ear/headphones to bring (just the trusty mdr-v700s), but i have some cool sources i could bring (rio karma, echo layla24 + laptop, echo indigo io + laptop, technics sl-1200 + ortofon concord) if anyone is interested.

i am interested in doing blind A/B tests between wav/flac and vorbis as well to see what kinds of observations others and i would make. i was planning on recording some basic synthesizer patterns from a nice virtual analog i have (access virus!) @ 24/96 w/ the layla24 and then compressing from there, but i would also have software to rip/encode any cds that people would bring so they could have a more familiar test track.

i would like to know if people in general can differentiate between various vorbis quality levels, and if so, what those levels are. (or if the difference between flac and vorbis is so great that it is silly.) i also think this would be the most useful to help me determine how to spend money in the future (ie more hard drives, recompress cds, get nice earphones OR accept my permanent hearing loss and move on
wink.gif
)

let me know if this a/b testing idea sounds neat or stupid! thanks!

Jul 1, 2004 at 11:11 AM Post #63 of 159
Welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet - standard headfi greeting
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteSanjuro
i am from milwaukee area and interested in this kind of stuff...i am very interested in getting either ER-4s or ER-6s in near future, but more importantly, i am interested in all this crazy DAC stuff i have been hearing about from my colleague momerath. (i have trouble believing that reclocking a s/pdif signal will make it sound different (or better), but i have open mind!)

when you get in to the higher end hardware you will start hearing deferences in many things you would never think you would before. For me thats a major part of the fun in this hobby. Over time I became a firm believer in CD player, DAC, upsampling, cable, burn in, etc. deferences after hearing them myself. I'm also a firm believer in science with the understanding that not all things are explained or all theories are final, open mind
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Sure, why not would be interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #64 of 159
Quote:

i don't have any cool ear/headphones to bring (just the trusty mdr-v700s), but i have some cool sources i could bring (rio karma, echo layla24 + laptop, echo indigo io + laptop, technics sl-1200 + ortofon concord) if anyone is interested.

i am interested in doing blind A/B tests between wav/flac and vorbis as well to see what kinds of observations others and i would make. i was planning on recording some basic synthesizer patterns from a nice virtual analog i have (access virus!) @ 24/96 w/ the layla24 and then compressing from there, but i would also have software to rip/encode any cds that people would bring so they could have a more familiar test track.

i would like to know if people in general can differentiate between various vorbis quality levels, and if so, what those levels are. (or if the difference between flac and vorbis is so great that it is silly.) i also think this would be the most useful to help me determine how to spend money in the future (ie more hard drives, recompress cds, get nice earphones OR accept my permanent hearing loss and move on
wink.gif
)

im not sure if i understand this totally but hey I am for it ....

lol
help?

Jul 2, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #65 of 159
Wow, this sounds like a good time. I will start plans (Schemes?) to make it.

My son, his wife, and 3 grandchildren live in Aurora, plus, I keep threatening Ray S. to come see where my Stealth came from, so maybe now is the time. The clincher is that the meet is in the basement of a bar - how cool is that?

Do you need a firm count, or can I drop in? I'll bring some stuff, If that helps.

Jul 2, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #66 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Wow, this sounds like a good time. I will start plans (Schemes?) to make it.

My son, his wife, and 3 grandchildren live in Aurora, plus, I keep threatening Ray S. to come see where my Stealth came from, so maybe now is the time. The clincher is that the meet is in the basement of a bar - how cool is that?

Do you need a firm count, or can I drop in? I'll bring some stuff, If that helps.

you can drop in if you like, the headcount isnt really going to easy anyway.

and it will help if ya brought in some stuff to

Jul 6, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #68 of 159
Hmm. About 10 hours drive... Anyone wanna carpool from the "South" ?
icon10.gif

Jul 6, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #69 of 159
Man I would love to go to this meet and bring my toys and check out
all the other cool toys, I have to move that day and there is a wedding,
too. Should I re-evaluate my priorities?

Rob

Jul 7, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #71 of 159
The Mrs. and I are expecting our first child and the due date just happens to be July 31st!
biggrin.gif
What timing!

If the "Lil One" ends up being late, I will try to make it (Must not forget cell phone!)

I will bring my DIY SDS Labs, META42, and recently completed modded Toshiba 3950. Along with my SR-80's and HD280 Pro's.

I can also try to answer peoples DIY questions. If Ray or Stereth attend, I'm sure they can provide a wealth of DIY info also.

Hope I can make it, but if not - that will be Ok too!!

Jul 8, 2004 at 12:18 PM Post #72 of 159
the starbucks girl is going to give her answer later today as far as working the meet, hey she will get paid very nice...but she like all other girls are thinking "a headphone meet???"......lol

if anything I'll give ray sams a wig and a starbucks apron.....omg! j/k
sorry ray, had to

Hi Billy...
You know I won't mind wearing the wig, or the apron as long as I am the one who is standing next to that heavenly, beautiful, breath taking, killer, heart throbing girl, any thing less than that you have to answer to me, who cares for a bunch of nuts who stand wearing some crazy things on their heads while I am having the time of my life with this God's send gift, PLEASE DON'T TELL MY WIFE, other wise I will never make the meet.
GREETINGS FROM THE LAND OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRLS I HAVE SEEN, POLAND, YOU SINGLES WANT THE BEST, JUST COME SEE WHAT YOU CAN GET OVER HERE, I HAVE TO ACT VERY NORMAL WHILE WALKING WITH MY WIFE, BUT I CAN FEEL THE DROOLING THAT IS ALL OVER MY SHOES, I THINK TUBEROLLER WOULD HAVE HAD A BALL OVER HERE.
CHEERS FROM POLAND.
Ray Samuels

Jul 8, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #74 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
GREETINGS FROM THE LAND OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRLS I HAVE SEEN, POLAND, YOU SINGLES WANT THE BEST, JUST COME SEE WHAT YOU CAN GET OVER HERE, I HAVE TO ACT VERY NORMAL WHILE WALKING WITH MY WIFE, BUT I CAN FEEL THE DROOLING THAT IS ALL OVER MY SHOES, I THINK TUBEROLLER WOULD HAVE HAD A BALL OVER HERE.
CHEERS FROM POLAND.
Ray Samuels

Hello Ray! What are you doing in Poland? I know what you mean :p I was in Poland (Cracow) two years ago and I sure would be drooling if I was not with my wife
biggrin.gif
We also visited Latvia (Riga) (my wifes birth place) and it was even hotter then in Poland. Everywhere you looked there was some super hot babe dressed up like on a catwalk or something
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Have fun and see you at the meet

Jul 13, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #75 of 159
hey guys and gals well we have less then 2 weeks to go...yay yay!
tongue.gif

So here is what is happening sofar.

SOmeone over this lovely thing we call the internet has tried to sign themselves up under my paypal account, so In other words I have been fighting with my bank and paypal to get it going again. BUt honestly it doesnt look like its going to happen anytime soon, which in turn means I need some other way of giving the deposit over to the rudistor and woo audio boys in able to bring the gear in.
If anyone has or is willing to try to bring it in themselves then That would be great, other then that the thought of having a rp5 or a wooaudioII in is dimming quickly.

I am in planning on where to set up the lights for the meet itself, power looks to be ok and I should start moving some Martin roboscans in next week.

I will also have a gear list done next week to, hopfully by next week.

anything else I can bring ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back