Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread
Jan 23, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #662 of 727
I love the discrete sound of my Sparrow version A-USD with DIR8416. For the money, Sparrow is a great deal although you have to manage your expectation for 240$ device and not to expect a level of performance top of the line gear provides.

My Sparrow outputs very noticeable hiss when there is not input. I listen to both Sparrow and Buffalo II + custom build AMB's M3 with Burr Brown OPA637BP for L/R channels and OPA627P for the ground channel run at +/-30V rails with Sigma 11. With AKG 701 the sound is quite a bit more detailed when it comes to intruments and voices. Also, at high volume M3 combo is dead silent when the music is not playing. Does anyone else hear hiss when cranking up volume control on Sparrow while music is not playing?

On mechanical side, the S/PDIF connector is pretty tight compared to Neutrik feel. The rear panel bends pretty badly when I try to disconnect the cable.

Jan 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #663 of 727

Quote:
Would a Sparrow be better than an Auzentech Forte (pci-e sound card) for headphone/2 channel music, movies and gaming? I have Denon D2000's for headphones. Thank you.

Sparrow is better than an AUzentech. Sparrow is entry level Hi-Fi DAC/Head-amp for the money. The circuity on the Auzentech sound card may be fine, but it relies on very noisy switching PSU of a PC. Spend your comparable amount of $$$ on Sparrow. Or PM me, if you are interested in a custom build AMB M3 head amp.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #664 of 727

Quote:
, but it relies on very noisy switching PSU of a PC.

Can you explain what the effect that has on a Digital Bitstream?

Please back up your statements with references.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #665 of 727
Why does Digital Bitstream pop-up in the context of analog output head-amps?

Anyhow, no impact on digital is present. The analog audio output is affected, and that's when the PSU matters. A good audio power supply is typically linear and has noise measured is MICRO volts (http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma11/, see Technical highlights). Sigma 11 measures 12uV. As for ATX switching PSU noise specifications, see the section 3.2.6 of http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CATX12V_1_3dg.pdf. Note the noise figures are in MILLI volts... Perhaps onboard voltage regulators help, but they are have noise as well (for example, http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM340.pdf shows typical 75uV at 12V).

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #666 of 727

Quote:
Why does Digital Bitstream pop-up in the context of analog output head-amps?

Anyhow, no impact on digital is present. The analog audio output is affected, and that's when the PSU matters. A good audio power supply is typically linear and has noise measured is MICRO volts (http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma11/, see Technical highlights). Sigma 11 measures 12uV. As for ATX switching PSU noise specifications, see the section 3.2.6 of http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CATX12V_1_3dg.pdf. Note the noise figures are in MILLI volts... Perhaps onboard voltage regulators help, but they are have noise as well (for example, http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM340.pdf shows typical 75uV at 12V).

Well, I'll explain it to you.

You hook up a Sparrow to the computer via, COAX, Optical, or USB.

The "Music" is stored digitally on the Hard drive.  Foobar "plays" the music from a digital format.

The digital Bitstream goes straight out the Sound Card in a digital bitstream to the DAC on the Sparrow.  The SC does not do any D-A conversion.  The data starts out and remains digital till it has gone thru the DAC on the Sparrow.

You asserted that the PS in the PC would make a lot of switching noise and that would be detrimental to using the Sparrow out of the PC.

I'm saying show me, with some evidence.  Show me eveidnece how this massively noisy PC environment is tearing up the Digital signal coming out? 

I'm piping it to a REF 1 or to a FUN,or a Sparrow and it sounds great for some reason.

You are in a DAC/Head amp thread.  Not an Analog head amp thread.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #667 of 727
Reporting in...just received the B version with USB, 96K, DIR9001 module, & AD1852 chip as a return/exchange for the A version.

I really enjoy the B with the optical input.  I only requested the USB version so it would more closely match the one I borrowed for about 3 weeks.

I'm very happy. Could not listen to the A version at all but the humble B is just great with my HF-2's and I couldn't be happier at $160.

bigsmile_face.gif

EDIT:  Update...is a bit brighter than the borrowed (and fully burned-in) B I tried.  Some sibilance- I will let this burn in for 200 hours before seeing where it settles.  Will compare with friend's Sparrow B later too.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #668 of 727
If you re-read carefully, really carefully the statement "The circuity on the Auzentech sound card may be fine, but it relies on very noisy switching PSU of a PC." and think about the statement in the context of the original posting #661...

"You asserted that the PS in the PC would make a lot of switching noise and that would be detrimental to using the Sparrow out of the
PC."
Nope, I did not assert that. Again, the statement was "The circuity on the Auzentech sound card may be fine, but it relies on very noisy switching PSU of a PC."... for analog output. Has nothing to do with Sparrow.

Again, noisy PSU affects analog output from a PC audio card.

I done wasting my bits on this.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #669 of 727

Quote:
If you re-read carefully, really carefully the statement "The circuity on the Auzentech sound card may be fine, but it relies on very noisy switching PSU of a PC." and think about the statement in the context of the original posting #661...

"You asserted that the PS in the PC would make a lot of switching noise and that would be detrimental to using the Sparrow out of the
PC."
Nope, I did not assert that. Again, the statement was "The circuity on the Auzentech sound card may be fine, but it relies on very noisy switching PSU of a PC."... for analog output. Has nothing to do with Sparrow.

Ahhh, except the Sparrow only takes Digital input, get it now?

The PC PS has crap to do with this.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #670 of 727

Quote:

PC."

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #671 of 727
CEE TEE, the ad1852 has a jumper on it, switch the jumper to the other pair of pins for a little rolled off highs. The highs will become less harsh with time, but if still too harsh, I would recommend switching the jumper.

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #672 of 727
Quote:
CEE TEE, the ad1852 has a jumper on it, switch the jumper to the other pair of pins for a little rolled off highs. The highs will become less harsh with time, but if still too harsh, I would recommend switching the jumper.

Wow, really?  That's all great news...I have an option to try if the highs don't mellow out just a bit!!

Because Kingwa (Qing Hua, BTW) recommends around 150-200 hours of burn-in, I will do that and then if they haven't settled a little I will try the jumpers.

Thank you haloxt! 

(So far, it is promising and I can't wait to listen some more this weekend...) 

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #673 of 727

Quote:
Quote:

Wow, really?  That's all great news...I have an option to try if the highs don't mellow out just a bit!!

Because Kingwa (Qing Hua, BTW) recommends around 150-200 hours of burn-in, I will do that and then if they haven't settled a little I will try the jumpers.

Thank you haloxt! 

(So far, it is promising and I can't wait to listen some more this weekend...) 

I too thank you haloxt.

CEETEE, in regards to modding your Sparrow, if you want to do a side by side comparison instead of by memory, then you can always do so at the meet with mine. Or if you just want to hear a Sparrow AD1852 w/ lots of burn-in then you can do that as well. BTW - mine does not have USB if that matters. I use my Sparrow for headphones, speakers, music, movies, burning-in headphones, so it has been broken-in plenty.

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #674 of 727
Hi Philimon!

You braved snowy mountain passes to attend the Bay Area Meet and I salute you!  Sorry it took so long to make it out but I do hope you were able to listen to what you most wanted to check out...

I just read your post though and also didn't have much time to listen at the meet but luckily I am very happy with my Sparrow B (optical) for now...some customs are probably my next upgrade and then we'll see.

So you like your Sparrow too, it seems...any change of heart after listening to things at the meet?

I still think that for $160, the Audio-GD Sparrow B is just amazing...

C

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #675 of 727
I was expecting to be infected with upgraditis from listening to the other supposedly more ortho-capable amps, but I just never really could hear a difference on the Lyr or EF5 vs Sparrow (the only two amps I really spent much time with HE-4). Some serious meet conditions though (100+ members! Way beyond expectations CEETEE... it was great! Soooo much gear.) I may just use the Sparrow for a while and just equalize to tone down the upper frequencies until I can decide on a more powerful amp. I've heard tale though of people having great synergy with less powerful amps and their HIFIMAN orthos though. So I am not too worried about having to buy something else at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back