Official AKG K501 Version Count
Mar 9, 2007 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

Whitewind

100+ Head-Fier
There are so far 3 versions of the K501 which have been presented on Head-Fi. The following versions are what I think is the order they came out as (oldest to most recent). Also these photos are not mine and do not remember who’s post I took these off of, but if these pictures are yours please contact me and I will give you credit for them.

Now on to the different versions:

First up is Version 1, this is the one I presume came out in the fall of 1996. Going from the inside of the driver out, there are 3 long openings out of a possible 6, and on the next level 4 smaller openings out of a possible 12. With a black dampening covering them.

Version_1.jpg

[size=xx-small]Courtesy of Asr[/size]

This is Version 2, which is quite a significant difference. I have no idea when this one came out. There are 6 long openings and 12 smaller ones with a white dampening material which is thick.

Ver_2.jpg

[size=xx-small]Courtesy of Fitz[/size]

And lastly Version 3, which only has 6 long openings with no smaller ones with a white dampening material as well, but is thinner and more porous than the Version 2 one.

Version_3_Mrvile_.jpg

[size=xx-small]Courtesy of Mrvile[/size]

Now you might be wondering why I said 6 long/12 small opening combination was the maximum. If you look at adanac061’s Ver. 1 you can clearly see that AKG thought of making/testing different versions from the beginning, so my hypothesis is that the 501 was an experiment.

adanac061_Medium_.jpg

[size=xx-small]Courtesy of adanac061[/size]

Also another hypothesis is that considering that all the different versions have the same driver and that the black/white difference in sound is negligible that Ver. 2 can sound like both Ver. 1 and 3 just by blocking up the different holes.

If you would like to check what version your 501 is, just twist the pad counterclockwise to reveal the driver and openings.

I currently have Ver. 2 from rhester which I just received and am going to give them a good listen to when I get back home.

Special thanks to Fitz, adanac061, Mrvile, Asr, and the whole K501 community

EDIT: Under further investigation the order of the versions should be 2>1>3, I will keep the version numbers as they are to solve any confusions and change it when we have significant proof of the order of the versions

EDIT 2: added the differences between the V2 and V3 dampening material

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very Nice . Kudos.

Will add to the akg Info thread.

ps
(way to use the butchered k501 pic...ha ha, i knew that would come back to haunt me)

nah thank you, it helped me learn a lot about the 501

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 69
So, do the three versions differ in sound at all? I know at least one particular version is supposed to lack bass, but I'm guessing it's not the first one, because that's the one I have, and I'm very happy with the bass.

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 69
odd- i have version 1, even though i purchased them new in 2006

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 69
The photo you posted of version 3 used to be mine but now belong to a fellow Head-Fier, mopton.

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Version 1 here and they work fine with a little EQing. Wonder if the different versions improve the bass measurably (that is, to the ear, so that one version is preferred over the other for bass?)

I had version 3 and still found the bass quite lacking without any sort of modding or EQ.

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had version 3 and still found the bass quite lacking without any sort of modding or EQ.

That's good to know -- now I won't have sleepless nights wondering what I was missing by not having ver. 3
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #15 of 69
Thanks. Cool info.

I have Version 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back