Official 2014 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #31 of 127
After LOTS of effort by Warren to find help for the UE table (all the way up to the last minute), I was able to spend a good part of the show/meet walking around catching up with people and even listening to a few things!!  THANK YOU Warren.  (Hafta use some caps myself.)  You are seriously juggling lots of meets this year, dunno how you do it...Headphonium and D.C. and Toronto next?  Madman.

BIG thanks to Ethan (Third_Eye) too, for an amazing amount of coordination, communication, and keeping the threads going plus everything smooth on the day.  From SoCal, no less!

Also a large thank you to Mike Johnson: Michael Mercer's friend who builds speakers stepped up at the last minute to help man the UE table.  Maybe we can get more info on Mike Johnson's speaker builds? I have a feeling from spending time with Mike that they are of great quality.

The DoubleTree renovation looks great and the room shapes/sizes (narrow/long) really suit the table set-ups so that you can listen, have some space around each table, and cut down the noise. Nice.

Impressed by the Astell & Kern display- they had all kinds of high-end headphones to try with their players.  From full-sized to IEMs, including customs demos from UE and JHA.  Brilliant!  I need to be more disciplined at these meets, I knew that I wanted to listen to some of the esoteric Final Audio IEMs that they had but just couldn't sit still long enough to finally try them.  Next time, I recommend that you ask them what they brought- they may have something on your list to try out and at the same time you get to listen to their players.

One nice Head-Fier (oakie) patiently and quietly waited in his corner opposite OJneg and particleman14/Tmoney.  He brought TWO portable tube amps that I have not heard before: the Fostex and the GoDAP.  I didn't have my HD600 or HD800 with me but listened with my UERM.  They are both bigger for portable amps, but c'mon- too cool.  (They actually were cool, they did not get hot.)  The Fostex had a higher noise floor, so not good for IEMs.  Would have liked to try it with larger phones.  The GoDAP was quieter and nice- an "anti-digititus" device.  Brought the headstage presentation up a bit higher and closer while smoothing things out a little and widening each source compared to my Leckerton UHA-6S Mk. II.  So the Leck was more accurate but the GoDAP was very pleasing and easy to listen to.  I have heard the GoVibe PortaTube and liked it with bigger phones.  Would be great to read a comparison of the Fostex, GoDAP, & GoVibe in a shoot-out someday- with full-sized phones and IEMs.

Nice Surprise Rig of the Shmeet (Show/Meet):  OJneg's  PC > Gamma 2 > Dsavitsk/ECP Audio Torpedo Amp w/upgraded caps/tubes > HD600.  This combo was immediately detailed and controlled/clean up top for HD600 and had punchy, fun bass that also seemed controlled.  You can build a Torpedo for like $300 at Beezar.  DAC and amp are DIY.  What a great, fun rig.  The long form factor of the amp might also sit nicely on someone's desk, we were thinking.

Audio DNYA's modded/re-cabled HD800 and Car Caroli amp.  This was a warm, comfy HD800 set-up which shouldn't pierce anyone's ears.  After listening to the AKG K812 with stock cable on the same amp (not too bad, little analytical), the HD800 seemed warm/rich/cozy/bigger the way they had it set-up.

After speaking with Gavin from Light Harmonic, I'm more excited to try and grab a GO 100 when they are in full production. Sounds like they will be even better than the prototype that I was already trying to buy.  Now I'm more excited about the Wave players too.  What they learn from earlier products and delivery should make the units better and get out smoothly by the time we're in 2015.  Glad I have a couple of those coming since I like the Geek Outs a lot.  There was not a prototype Pulse this time, but there seems to be a possibility that it will make the SoCal meet...

Had fun at dinner teasing Ti Kan of AMB about the new Gamma 3 DAC under development.  I asked him if it would help him complete the design faster if we all bugged him every other day for updates.  I really like Ti and since the Gamma 2 has had such a long life, I expect the 3 to sound good too!

As much as I do want to try the nice gear that I only see pictures of, I end up distracted- wanting to say hello and talk to members that I only see at meets:  tengen, sanjosecanjunkie, Calaf, bobcn, John Williams, jazzfan, Shane55, aamefford, etc. I know I am forgetting some people right now.

Thank you Mkubota1 for bringing back some headphone bags from Japan and also some new revision Head-Fi portable bands!  (People at dinner got the new design Mike made with narrow logo version so that when you stretch them, they look "correct" and not "stretched out" around your player rig.  All in black too, with an inset logo.)

Until next time...

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #32 of 127
Overall, this was a fantastic meet. Lots of good people and gear. Many of the stuff there was a once in a lifetime listen for me, like the rare K1000 and wireless HD580. Also, GREAT deals on used gear.

To anyone reading these impressions and are on the fence about going to a meet up, just go. Trust me, you'll have fun and time will fly. I'm not the most socially active person in the world, but, some of the nicest people are there and it's super easy to start up a conversation and just go with the flow.

Here are a couple shots I took (click to make larger).

dat stack...

Sounded pretty good. I thought the X-bass and 3D functions were gimmicky at first. They were actually well implemented and not over exaggerated.

Beats by Dr. Sennheiser

These colorwared HD800s looked great! 

Vinyl Setup

I listened to Dark Side of the Moon, the original master recording. It was really cool to see how different it was to the digital release I had. This was also the first time in my life I listened to vinyl.

Audeze + Studio Six & D100

I wasn't sure what kind of music I wanted to hear. I told the dude with the laptop "surprise me" and he played some bassy electronic song (don't know it). But jesus, the bass on the LCD2 with that track was to die for. Pretty sweet.

Lampizator + KGSSHV + 009, etc. 

This was my favorite setup and best of all it was in the quietest room (Monterey). I listened to the SR-009 and I took them off a couple times because I had thought the laptop speakers were running in the background. Super realistic timbre and soundstage.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #33 of 127
Also BIG thank you to zashoomin for the help soldering.. It was really small and he was able to do it with thick solder. Talent. Hope you find that issue with your beta22

Your welcome and thanks.  The beta is now well and working again 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #34 of 127
I created a gallery of photos I shot at this meet, go here to view it:

http://www.amb.org/ti/audio/headfi20140719/

Thanks to the organizers and volunteers for putting on a great meet, and thanks to all of you who stopped by my table to chat and listen.

It was great talking to you and I have to say thanks for taking a look at the beta when it broke down.  As it turns out you where right, as soon as I took out the muting delay, everything is back to normal.  

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #35 of 127
Biggest surprise of the meet for me was the Ultimate Ears booth. I've heard their stuff before and I knew it was good. This time though, I had a chance to compare the UE4 directly to my ER4S...and unfortunately for my wallet, I have to say the UE4 DESTROYS the ER4S. The UE4 has this incredible ability to swing from high to low levels with ease. It also has a very clear and open sound; it's not stuck in your head like the Etys are. The Etys have been a reference for me (I won't be getting rid of them) in terms of tonal neutrality, and the UE4 was on par with the Etys neutrality. They both can sound a bit bright-ish with a few of my reference recordings but it's not something you can always blame on the playback system. Overall I'd definitely recommend the UE4 for anyone who's after a killer neutral IEM. At that price, it's pretty much infallible. Only a matter of time before I get one!

The other two systems that stuck out to me most was Chashem's Lampizator + 2A3 and Physter's Bifrost + EHHA. Glad to meet a lot of folks for the first time as well as see a lot of familiar faces. Great meet!
beerchug.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #36 of 127
First time I've been at an event, so here goes ~ I think I was the youngest person there by a bit :d

Loved the Mad Dog Pros and Alpha Dogs. I think I liked the Mad Dog Pros a bit more for electronica, I was very tempted to buy them on the spot.

Tried the UE11s and was blown away, absolutely killed my UE900s. So jealous.

The Pendulumic Stance S1 confused me. I could not understand how wireless headphones could sound so good, and it was only $179 at the meet... wow. Also tempted to buy haha

The NOBLE 6 also had the best soundstage I've ever heard from a pair of IEMs. I haven't tried many though but my jaw dropped (well it dropped a lot this meet).

Also my first time trying out LCDs.... wowww, the guy at the Audeze booth (forgot the name sorry!) previewed an unnamed track on the new Odyssey compilation CD (didnt tell us the name of the track :frowning2: ) it sounded absolutely amazing

The red colorwared HD800s looked amazing in person.

I wanted to try out the Vioelectric V200, but they only had the V281 there... it was the best I've ever heard my T1s at, didn't get any harsh treble from the T1 and killed every track I played through it. I liked my T1s through it a bit more than the HD800s.

Finally tried out all of the Schiits in person except for the Asgard 2, they sounded great as well but it was harder to compare after listening to the V281.

I had a really cool time, thanks for holding the meet!

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #37 of 127
Cee tee - I'm glad you mentioned oakies little portable tubes - I listened to them, and the op amp was a bit finnicky to get going, but I was pleasantly surprised by how tube-like it was, much more than many full-size tubes. It ran my T-90 as well, which is a pretty upper-mid focused set of cans.

I listened to the HD700, and I liked them more than the HD-800. I'd be interested to spend more time with them in a quiet area.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #39 of 127
Just got back home. @russtafarian, @jw111 (a.k.a. John Williams from the Cavalli table), @shiorisekine (from the Schiit tables) and I had to rush back early this morning to attend an LAOCAS (Los Angeles Orange County Audiophile Society) event featuring a ton of McIntosh gear. Sooo tired, but here are a few brief remarks before I forget.

First of all, my utmost thanks to @third_eye (Ethan) who did most of the heavy lifting for this meet.  He's the one who worked for months on end to make this happen, especially when I was busy working on T.H.E. Headphonium with @mikemercer, and working on CanMania with @Frank I
redface.gif
  As per tradition, bro...

smile.gif

Next, I wanted to thank @baronkatz who generously sacrificed his whole meet to man my Schiit tables (with special help from @shiorisekine) - and bringing his headphone collection to boot - while I pulled duty at the registration desk.  You guys rock!
beerchug.gif

And speaking of generous sacrifices... @calaf, @coolmingli, @shane55, and @SanJoseCanJunkie... thanks so much for spending huge portions of meet time behind the registration desk prepping badges and raffle entries so that everyone else could have a good time!  You guys...

beerchug.gif

Also, you guys should really know that @CEE TEE and @zerodeefex were unofficial meet organizers, who did more than anyone will ever know from behind the scenes, to help make everything a success.  And you thought they just organized dinner plans?  Not even!

beerchug.gif

Of course, thanks to my bros @mikemercer, @HiFiGuy528, @russtafarian and @jw111 for all of your hard work doing all the grunt work that, typically, only meet organizers need to do in order to make things happen.  Like I was saying to a buddy at the meet, meets don't organize themselves.  It takes people like you guys doin'what you do.

beerchug.gif

And finally, to everyone that came out, both exhibitors and members alike, my thanks to you for sharing yourselves and your time (not to mention your gear).  YOU GUYS are the whole reason for why meets exist. 
smile.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #40 of 127
I haven't even gotten there yet! Here goes:
(I'll put some real impressions here and ditch my breakfast photo tomorrow...)

OK, I've got my laptop out, so here are my impressions:

Aha! / OMG! / "NOW I get it" moments:
This goes above 1) 'cause it's the most important - Meeting up with the nicest bunch of like minded people in the Bay Area, and a few geographic imports as well. A well spent day for sure!

1) UERM - Now I get it. I'm saving for a pair. Detailed without being obnoxious, lush mids without rolling off the treble or the bass, and good bass response. UE's interpretation of neutral, without being boring or fatiguing. As I said - "now I get it".
2) Chord Hugo - OMG! - This thing is amazing. It also costs more than the blue book value of my car. I want one. I'm probably not getting one anytime soon….
3) Audeze LCD2 with Fazor - Aha! So this is what "Fazor" is. I finally like the LCD2. Note that I've loved the LCD3 since first listen.
4) LCD-X and XC - the X is probably either my favorite or second favorite Audeze. The XC is lovely, but not completely my style. Translation - I probably won't own an Audeze unless I find a deal on an LCD3 someday.
5) Noble Audio - Really good, really beautiful hand crafted by artists IEM's. Maybe not for everyone, but great.
6) Schiit Lyr2 - I'll have one of these eventually. The gain switch solves my issues with the original Lyr.
7) Mike Mercer - OMG! If you know him, no explanation is needed. If not, find a way to meet him. A great guy, and definitely one of a kind!

Wow! Cool! moments:
1) Pendulumic's blue tooth headphones - Surprisingly good, $199, no wires. Cool!
2) Voxoa's little prototype bluetooth/Dac/Amp dongle. Make your own headphones bluetooth capable. Cool!
3) Darin Fong's "Out of your Head" software - I have a mac, own the software, which is PC only until Darin gets the Mac version released. Darin says "see the Schiit Yigdrasil/Ragnorok story regarding releasing announced product…" Funny. Still, very cool software, and Darin is a really nice guy.
4) The AudioNerd guys and the Geek stuff.
5) Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto #1 - Emil Gilels / Zubin Mehta - this probably belongs up in the OMG stuff above - very beautiful piece of music.
6) Oppo PM-2's. They would go in the OMG, except I own the PM-1's, so I've already been through the OMG reaction. The PM-2's are tuned to tip the bass and treble up very slightly over the PM-1's due to many comments on the forums. They sound great! The PM-1 pads will (eventually) be available for those that prefer the PM-1's more (refined/subdued/boring choose your adjective) sound. They forgo the shinny luxury of the PM-1 for a more matte finish and a several hundred dollar lower price. I'd buy a pair if Oppo hadn't given me the PM-1 as a thank you for being part of the beta testing. (Caveat - see the previous sentence - I LOVE these guys!)
7) Mr. Speakers Mad Dog Pros. It is either the steroid version of the Mad Dog, or the Alpha Dogs after they've had a few drinks and let their hair down. FUN but sophisticated headphone. Wow! Cool!

Meh, I still don't get it moments:
1) HD800. This time out of Justin's Headamp GSX MKII. I still don't like them. I understand they are the most resolving, open, detailed headphone made, and have the most expansive sound stage. Still, they are bright and fatiguing to me. They are like a surgical scalpel and forceps for music. That's great and all, but I'm not surgeon, I'm a card carrying hedonist. I prefer to enjoy my music with a steak knife and fork, thank you!
2) AKG 7xx. See above, but less of the "good".
3) The raffle. Why you ask? Because there is a disturbing trend where none of the numbers called are the one on my ticket! Seriously - the treasure hunt was a blast and made sure I saw some vendors I otherwise would not have visited, the prizes donated were fantastic, and it was a great way to cap the day.

To all the organizers and volunteers, thank you! Another fantastic day!

ThanX brotha!!!!
I'm humbled by your kind words - seriously, it's ALWAYS a pleasure to see ya and I look forward to our LA Meet!!

Great day. Time went by fast! Loves getting some real face time with Gavin from LH/Geek and Michael Mercer. Auditioning some other great product. Woo Audio, Cavalli amps, and getting a chance to listen to the Abyss headphones was great. Good job to all who organized the meet.

My pleasure as well!
Gavin is a dear friends of mine and he fights every-day, just as I do, to bring more people into this wonderful hobby of ours!!!!
Boy this was FUN

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #41 of 127
  Overall, this was a fantastic meet. Lots of good people and gear. Many of the stuff there was a once in a lifetime listen for me, like the rare K1000 and wireless HD580. Also, GREAT deals on used gear. 

To anyone reading these impressions and are on the fence about going to a meet up, just go. Trust me, you'll have fun and time will fly. I'm not the most socially active person in the world, but, some of the nicest people are there and it's super easy to start up a conversation and just go with the flow.

Here are a couple shots I took (click to make larger).

dat stack...

Sounded pretty good. I thought the X-bass and 3D functions were gimmicky at first. They were actually well implemented and not over exaggerated.

Beats by Dr. Sennheiser

These colorwared HD800s looked great! 

Vinyl Setup

I listened to Dark Side of the Moon, the original master recording. It was really cool to see how different it was to the digital release I had. This was also the first time in my life I listened to vinyl.

Audeze + Studio Six & D100

I wasn't sure what kind of music I wanted to hear. I told the dude with the laptop "surprise me" and he played some bassy electronic song (don't know it). But jesus, the bass on the LCD2 with that track was to die for. Pretty sweet.

Lampizator + KGSSHV + 009, etc. 

This was my favorite setup and best of all it was in the quietest room (Monterey). I listened to the SR-009 and I took them off a couple times because I had thought the laptop speakers were running in the background. Super realistic timbre and soundstage.

o2smile.gif
 I'm the "dude w/ the laptop"! And the track I played for you was "Thirteen Acres" Remix by Hecq (artist TechDiff) off Hecq's Conversions remix LP!
One of my new fave electronic sonic test tracks. SO glad you listened on the LCD-2 w/ Fazor!!!! Currently my top pick in the Audeze line

After LOTS of effort by Warren to find help for the UE table (all the way up to the last minute), I was able to spend a good part of the show/meet walking around catching up with people and even listening to a few things!!  THANK YOU Warren.  (Hafta use some caps myself.)  You are seriously juggling lots of meets this year, dunno how you do it...Headphonium and D.C. and Toronto next?  Madman.

BIG thanks to Ethan (Third_Eye) too, for an amazing amount of coordination, communication, and keeping the threads going plus everything smooth on the day.  From SoCal, no less!

Also a large thank you to Mike Johnson: Michael Mercer's friend who builds speakers stepped up at the last minute to help man the UE table.  Maybe we can get more info on Mike Johnson's speaker builds? I have a feeling from spending time with Mike that they are of great quality.

The DoubleTree renovation looks great and the room shapes/sizes (narrow/long) really suit the table set-ups so that you can listen, have some space around each table, and cut down the noise. Nice.

Impressed by the Astell & Kern display- they had all kinds of high-end headphones to try with their players.  From full-sized to IEMs, including customs demos from UE and JHA.  Brilliant!  I need to be more disciplined at these meets, I knew that I wanted to listen to some of the esoteric Final Audio IEMs that they had but just couldn't sit still long enough to finally try them.  Next time, I recommend that you ask them what they brought- they may have something on your list to try out and at the same time you get to listen to their players.

One nice Head-Fier (oakie) patiently and quietly waited in his corner opposite OJneg and particleman14/Tmoney.  He brought TWO portable tube amps that I have not heard before: the Fostex and the GoDAP.  I didn't have my HD600 or HD800 with me but listened with my UERM.  They are both bigger for portable amps, but c'mon- too cool.  (They actually were cool, they did not get hot.)  The Fostex had a higher noise floor, so not good for IEMs.  Would have liked to try it with larger phones.  The GoDAP was quieter and nice- an "anti-digititus" device.  Brought the headstage presentation up a bit higher and closer while smoothing things out a little and widening each source compared to my Leckerton UHA-6S Mk. II.  So the Leck was more accurate but the GoDAP was very pleasing and easy to listen to.  I have heard the GoVibe PortaTube and liked it with bigger phones.  Would be great to read a comparison of the Fostex, GoDAP, & GoVibe in a shoot-out someday- with full-sized phones and IEMs.

Nice Surprise Rig of the Shmeet (Show/Meet):  OJneg's  PC > Gamma 2 > Dsavitsk/ECP Audio Torpedo Amp w/upgraded caps/tubes > HD600.  This combo was immediately detailed and controlled/clean up top for HD600 and had punchy, fun bass that also seemed controlled.  You can build a Torpedo for like $300 at Beezar.  DAC and amp are DIY.  What a great, fun rig.  The long form factor of the amp might also sit nicely on someone's desk, we were thinking.

Audio DNYA's modded/re-cabled HD800 and Car Caroli amp.  This was a warm, comfy HD800 set-up which shouldn't pierce anyone's ears.  After listening to the AKG K812 with stock cable on the same amp (not too bad, little analytical), the HD800 seemed warm/rich/cozy/bigger the way they had it set-up.

After speaking with Gavin from Light Harmonic, I'm more excited to try and grab a GO 100 when they are in full production. Sounds like they will be even better than the prototype that I was already trying to buy.  Now I'm more excited about the Wave players too.  What they learn from earlier products and delivery should make the units better and get out smoothly by the time we're in 2015.  Glad I have a couple of those coming since I like the Geek Outs a lot.  There was not a prototype Pulse this time, but there seems to be a possibility that it will make the SoCal meet...

Had fun at dinner teasing Ti Kan of AMB about the new Gamma 3 DAC under development.  I asked him if it would help him complete the design faster if we all bugged him every other day for updates.  I really like Ti and since the Gamma 2 has had such a long life, I expect the 3 to sound good too!

As much as I do want to try the nice gear that I only see pictures of, I end up distracted- wanting to say hello and talk to members that I only see at meets:  tengen, sanjosecanjunkie, Calaf, bobcn, John Williams, jazzfan, Shane55, aamefford, etc. I know I am forgetting some people right now.

Thank you Mkubota1 for bringing back some headphone bags from Japan and also some new revision Head-Fi portable bands!  (People at dinner got the new design Mike made with narrow logo version so that when you stretch them, they look "correct" and not "stretched out" around your player rig.  All in black too, with an inset logo.)

Until next time...

HEY! I'm SO glad I got MJ to a Meet to get a taste of this world!! He and I used to work at a high end audio store together - and we were known as the Stereo Mikes, LMAO.
He's been watching my migration away from high end two-channel and into high performance personal audio since 2009 - and he's always been very interested in seeing what it's all about! I was glad a spot opened up to have him fill-in over at the Ultimate Eers table! He had a blast - and said he was overwhelmed by all the gear "just for headphones"! He wants to come back to a Meet w/ me and just hang out and listen next time! 

Also: MJ (Mike Johnson aka Speaker Mike) can tell you sometime - but as one of his best friends, I can tell you he's actually designed and built two to my favorite loudspeakers!
When he had his New Era Loudspeakers line - and working with him taught me SO much! Dave Wilson wanted to hire Mike in high school - but, as much as he respects Dave Wilson (and he does) he said he didn't want to be influenced by another designer. He's built loudspeaker systems for: Motley Crew, Maryln Manson, and the Oakland Coliseum to name a few!!!!

and you rock Christian!!

Just got back home. @russtafarian, @jw111 (a.k.a. John Williams from the Cavalli table), @shiorisekine (from the Schiit tables) and I had to rush back early this morning to attend an LAOCAS (Los Angeles Orange County Audiophile Society) event featuring a ton of McIntosh gear. Sooo tired, but here are a few brief remarks before I forget.

First of all, my utmost thanks to @third_eye (Ethan) who did most of the heavy lifting for this meet.  He's the one who worked for months on end to make this happen, especially when I was busy working on T.H.E. Headphonium with @mikemercer, and working on CanMania with @Frank I
redface.gif
  As per tradition, bro...

smile.gif

Next, I wanted to thank @baronkatz who generously sacrificed his whole meet to man my Schiit tables (with special help from @shiorisekine) - and bringing his headphone collection to boot - while I pulled duty at the registration desk.  You guys rock!
beerchug.gif

And speaking of generous sacrifices... @calaf, @coolmingli, @shane55, and @SanJoseCanJunkie... thanks so much for spending huge portions of meet time behind the registration desk prepping badges and raffle entries so that everyone else could have a good time!  You guys...

beerchug.gif

Also, you guys should really know that @CEE TEE and @zerodeefex were unofficial meet organizers, who did more than anyone will ever know from behind the scenes, to help make everything a success.  And you thought they just organized dinner plans?  Not even!

beerchug.gif

Of course, thanks to my bros @mikemercer, @HiFiGuy528, @russtafarian and @jw111 for all of your hard work doing all the grunt work that, typically, only meet organizers need to do in order to make things happen.  Like I was saying to a buddy at the meet, meets don't organize themselves.  It takes people like you guys doin'what you do.

beerchug.gif

And finally, to everyone that came out, both exhibitors and members alike, my thanks to you for sharing yourselves and your time (not to mention your gear).  YOU GUYS are the whole reason for why meets exist. 
smile.gif

You know the feelings mutual bro!!!!
beerchug.gif

I'm still over-tired, as MJ made me leave early too!
I was swirving driving my BMW, and he said he was "gettin worried" - well, get your license back, or, LOL, lemme sleep til 9:00AM on a Sunday at least! WE had nowhere to be!!!!

The Meet was a much-needed bro-infusion for me!
W/ the wifey still sick - it gets touch at times...

Thanks to ALL who made this such a memorable day.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #42 of 127
  I updated my first post to have my actual impressions, and hid my breakfast photo in a spoiler (can't help it, I liked the picture, and the steel cut oats were killer good!).

@mikemercer - you got special mention!

@Craptaculus XVI - Great Sammich, and BIG!  Thank you!

post #2

Again, @third_eye @warrenpchi and all the others that helped behind the scenes, THANK YOU! for a very, very well spent day!

THanX again brotha!
beerchug.gif
  Was a true BLAST for me too

Heh, that was me. I can only rock closed-backs at home/office so it was great to hear how favorably the LCD-XCs compared to the rest of the Audeze lineup. BTW what's the tube amp sitting on top of the McIntosh, I forgot? I think I'm a tube convert now, I'm spending a dangerous amount of time browsing Woo Audio threads trying to figure out their beautiful, but confusing lineup. They had a T1 connected to a W22 that was simply next-level. Although my absolute favorite at the meet was a $4k Stax connected to a custom electrostatic amp. I heard at one point a closed-back Stax was made, but apparently no longer.

NICE!!!! Was SO glad to be the one to give you your first tube experience w/ the ALO Studio Six!! That was the amp atop the McIntosh D100 DAC/headphone amp.
Yeah Woo Audio makes some WICKED stuff - Did you get to check out their WA7 Fireflies??  AMAZING, and amazing aestetics. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #43 of 127
^^^ Hah!  The Studio Six - I always think of that amp as Mr. Mercer's Party Boat for some odd reason.  Must be the 4 HP outputs.

Oh, and the WA7 - it floors me every time I hear it. It is a tube amp, and is well, like tubes, yet kinda not.  Very cool little amp, and beautiful, and sounds great.  It even has a decent dac, or you can pretend it doesn't, and use your dac du jour...

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #45 of 127
  ^^^ Hah!  The Studio Six - I always think of that amp as Mr. Mercer's Party Boat for some odd reason.  Must be the 4 HP outputs.

biggrin.gif

that amp has provided my wifey and I, as well as our friends Gina and Ricky  - our own lil Silent Raves on the Sonic Satori Personal Audio Lab!!!!

I was going to use my Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold this time - but had to lend my Liquid Gold to the Cavalli table!!

NEXT time FO SHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back