Official 2014 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #16 of 127
Excellent meet. Very well organized. I am so glad there are a few small rooms that are very quiet and I can spend some quality time with STAX.  
Truly appreciate people who brought their own equipment (TMoney, Crashem, particleman14 and many more).

Overall, I wasn't blown away by the new generation of headphone, like HD 800 / T1 / Hifiman / Audeze. They are good, but I don't feel they are that much better than K701/HD 650/DT 880...
On the other hand, STAX / K1000 are truly extraordinary. Man, I need a STAX set-up...

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #17 of 127
Awesome meet!  I wasn't able to get there until 2pm but was glad I was able to catch the last couple of hours.  Alpha dogs...WOW...now I understand what all the fuss is about with these cans.  And not only did they sound great they were super comfortable with the Alpha pads.  If I don't end up buying the headphones I'll be sure to buy the pads for my hifiman he500 haha.  But seriously, I went from wanting the Audeze LCD3 to having these guys jump to the top of the list for my next purchase.  Also spent some time with Schitt Lyr2, and I think I found the right amp to drive my HE500.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to all the rooms, there was just too many awesome equipment to play in 2hrs.  Thanks for setting up the meet and can't wait for next year!

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #18 of 127
Apparently a lot of people were interested in demoing my Sennheiser IS850 (wireless version the HD580/600 w/dedicated amp and dac on the headphone itself). For those that did, what'd y'all think? Just curious. He got some comments that it sound akin to a slightly warmer HD600 connected to a mid-range SS amp, but, you know, without the wires. 

So those were yours? I don't know about the "slightly warmer" part, they seem to have the same driver as the 580 and 600, and certainly sounded similar (a very good thing). There was a ton of interference in the room, and all the static pops and hiss they picked up made everything sound like slightly damaged vinyl. Super-cool, though: I never knew a wireless 600 existed.

Hope you feel better soon!

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #20 of 127
  No Wave, Source, or Pulse.

I will be s/w Gavin about this!
As they had the new Geek Out for IEMs (and I had my Roxannes upstairs too) which, honestly, I could've taken home to review - BUT:

Given the fact that I and @warrenpchi were the first to review the Geek Out 1000 (and I then started the Geek Out 1000 Appreciation threard)
I opted to wait, wait til I hear all existing, PAID FOR ORDER are filled - and THEN I'll be happy to review the new Geek for IEMs!!

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #21 of 127
I created a gallery of photos I shot at this meet, go here to view it:

http://www.amb.org/ti/audio/headfi20140719/

Thanks to the organizers and volunteers for putting on a great meet, and thanks to all of you who stopped by my table to chat and listen.

Amazing gallery! thanks @amb

The Meet was a pure blast for me - and, perhaps one of the greatest moments was playing Donny Hathaway's "A Song For You" for this gentlemen, who's name I unfortunately forget (so if you see this, PLS remind me bro - I'm a burn out) - a 1967 recording, and a killer recording, produced, engineered, and arranged by my late, great mentor and dear friend Arif Mardin at Atlantic Records...

Seeing his reactions during playback of the song, how weepy he got - I went to take a picture, but, felt it would be disrespectful to capture him in such a vulnerable moment (as he explained to me after, why it meant so much to him) - and THEN I played him Donny Hathaway Live in 24/194 via the CEntrance/Glove Audio A1 DAC/Amp for my AstellnKern AK120 w/ my Audeze LCD-X and Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite Balanced thanks to @scootermafia!!!!

and he was BLOWN AWAY!!

PLUS - this was his very first meet!!!!
what an afternoon...
o2smile.gif

as I, as you all know here, I was there filling in for Audeze as they were launching their Amazing Twilight Sessions party at The Village in LA that night)

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #22 of 127
Some other pics for NOW..
we're packin up at the hotel and gotta get on the road back to the North Bay baby!!

So... In the meantime:
A HUGE thanks to my partners @warrenpchi & @third_eye for helping to make these Meets what there ARE - 
a place of sanctuary for us music addicts and audio geeks - and like-minded Head-Fiers to
get together and SHARE our experiences!
I merely promote what they do, help in planning, logistics, the EASY stuff. They pull the HARD weight!

and - some PIX!

"wait, these are also planar magnetics"? WOW
Had a great time with him, forgot his Head-Fi handle

was SO psyched to see this reaction, listening to the Abyss via my Cavalli LAu!!!!

"You got anything that's straight-up four-on-the-floor kinda tech house"?
Who, ME?!?!
Sure - but, THEN: I dropped Hecq's new remix album Conversions, and
after "who was THAT"?!?!   
biggrin.gif

"You got any Radiohead? - ME?!?!
"I need to hear "Weird Fishes, it's my ultimate test track"
NO PROBLEM
and, then - "Everything in it's Right Place" off the Kid A Deluxe version...
we were ALL in a trance

"Got anything acoustic?"
Sure - how deep ya wanna go?

Here's my Donny Hathaway fan friend again - trusting to me play DJ...
Well, after hearing Carabou's Remix of Radiohead's "Little By Little"
he said he HAD to have it!!

more coming

but turning people onto great music AND sound?
That's my goal

and special thanks to @alexsv & Nina of Wywires for lending me another 3 Wywires Red headphone cables so,
for the first time, the Audeze table had all the same high performance cables on each headphone!
Easier to compare between cans - no other variable to consider!!!

A BLAST

and, for me?
Getting to ROCK this custom-painted (black,oooh, sexy..) AKG 1000 on my own Cavalli Audio LAu:

it was meditative

and - so we tried to drive it w/ my ALO Studio Six rig - and it handled the job beautifully!!!!

YEAH HOOH!
West SIIIIIDE!!!!

and, it was just downright FUN
also thanks to Nordost for ALL the signal cable (from USB to Quantum Power products - Though I own all these,
I'm Grateful for having these amazing toys!!!!

it aint work if you love what you do!
and I got LUV for my Head-Fi peeps!!!!

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #23 of 127

The Meet was a pure blast for me - and, perhaps one of the greatest moments was playing Donny Hathaway's "A Song For You" for this gentlemen, who's name I unfortunately forget (so if you see this, PLS remind me bro - I'm a burn out) - a 1967 recording, and a killer recording, produced, engineered, and arranged by my late, great mentor and dear friend Arif Mardin at Atlantic Records...

Seeing his reactions during playback of the song, how weepy he got - I went to take a picture, but, felt it would be disrespectful to capture him in such a vulnerable moment (as he explained to me after, why it meant so much to him) - and THEN I played him Donny Hathaway Live in 24/194 via the CEntrance/Glove Audio A1 DAC/Amp for my AstellnKern AK120 w/ my Audeze LCD-X and Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite Balanced thanks to @scootermafia!!!!

and he was BLOWN AWAY!!

what an afternoon...
o2smile.gif

as I, as you all know here, was there filling it for Audeze as they were launching their Amazing Twilight Sessions party at The Village in LA that night)

That was Ralph. I got to talk quite a bit with him. Ex-marine with a love for music!

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #24 of 127

and he was BLOWN AWAY!!

what an afternoon...
o2smile.gif

as I, as you all know here, was there filling it for Audeze as they were launching their Amazing Twilight Sessions party at The Village in LA that night)

That's Ralph. Helluva nice guy!

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #26 of 127
  I will be s/w Gavin about this!
As they had the new Geek Out for IEMs (and I had my Roxannes upstairs too) which, honestly, I could've taken home to review - BUT:

Given the fact that I and @warrenpchi were the first to review the Geek Out 1000 (and I then started the Geek Out 1000 Appreciation threard)
I opted to wait, wait til I hear all existing, PAID FOR ORDER are filled - and THEN I'll be happy to review the new Geek for IEMs!!

Although they weren't showing any of the newest stuff, there was good news coming down the pipeline from LH. According to Gavin Pulse should start shipping towards the end of August. Sure, it's still an estimate, but a guy can hope. They also have taken great measures to shore up logistics on the newer items, having learned the hard way on the Out fulfillments. I was told there aren't any new campaigns in the works currently so perhaps that means they're really focusing on these internal issues of sourcing, production, and fulfillment. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #27 of 127
  So those were yours? I don't know about the "slightly warmer" part, they seem to have the same driver as the 580 and 600, and certainly sounded similar (a very good thing). There was a ton of interference in the room, and all the static pops and hiss they picked up made everything sound like slightly damaged vinyl. Super-cool, though: I never knew a wireless 600 existed.

Hope you feel better soon!

Yeah.. as said, I lent half my gear to my friend since I couldn't make it myself (he was pissed I bailed out on him), but stomach flu > 1st headfi meet. There was so much gear in the room (electrical interference), probably hence a bit of static. It never does that at home when positioned correctly, away from about 10 amps and 5 wifi routers lol.  

Did UE really have 20% off + free impressions?? I was told that. UGHGHGHGH. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #28 of 127
I updated my first post to have my actual impressions, and hid my breakfast photo in a spoiler (can't help it, I liked the picture, and the steel cut oats were killer good!).

@mikemercer - you got special mention!

@Craptaculus XVI - Great Sammich, and BIG!  Thank you!

post #2

Again, @third_eye @warrenpchi and all the others that helped behind the scenes, THANK YOU! for a very, very well spent day!

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #29 of 127
"wait, these are also planar magnetics"? WOW
Had a great time with him, forgot his Head-Fi handle

Heh, that was me. I can only rock closed-backs at home/office so it was great to hear how favorably the LCD-XCs compared to the rest of the Audeze lineup. BTW what's the tube amp sitting on top of the McIntosh, I forgot? I think I'm a tube convert now, I'm spending a dangerous amount of time browsing Woo Audio threads trying to figure out their beautiful, but confusing lineup. They had a T1 connected to a W22 that was simply next-level. Although my absolute favorite at the meet was a $4k Stax connected to a custom electrostatic amp. I heard at one point a closed-back Stax was made, but apparently no longer.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #30 of 127
This was my first meet, so I was a little nervous. I wanted to listen to EVERYTHING! But, I didn't want to hog a seat. I tried to keep my time at each table brief. Noob reviews posted below are mine and mine alone. Your mileage may vary...

Overall

Pro's - There was so much stuff to look at and listen to! Everyone was very friendly. I enjoyed conversations with Dan from Mr Speakers, Alex from WyWires, Mike from Pendulumic, Ralph, Aamefford, and too many others I didn't catch their names. The absolute best test is hearing everything yourself.

Con's - Not enough time to really examine everything thoroughly. The biggest con that I kept coming across was volume. I found that nearly consistently I needed to turn the volume up past 3 o'clock, and maxed a few times. I couldn't get anything to sound too loud. I guess that's a good thing, but disconcerting. I also found I didn't really like any open headphones. All headphones should have a tag with make and model. So many cans together gets confusing.

Specific

Ultimate Ears - I only got to listen to the UE11. But, this was the best sounding of everything at the meet.  My test tracks (when I used my source) were the albums from The Berzerker, Inquisition, and Haken. The Berzerker is a torture test, by far the hardest album to reproduce. It's so fast, so much distortion and so heavy it makes lesser speakers and headphones cry. 

Noble Audio - I tried the 4 and 6 I think. They just didn't do it for me. I found them to be too neutral, if not favoring the highs. They lacked impact, kick drum muscle. Mids and Highs seemed exaggerated while lows were recessed. Again, I didn't get to try all of the sets there. I feel bad with the negative comments, but I am trying to keep it polite, professional and honest.

Mr Speakers - I love my Alpha Dogs! Didn't get to hear the Mad Dog/Pro. But, I really liked listening to my AD through the Schiit Bifrost and Lyr 2. I think that will be my next/only upgrade to my Modi & Magni.

Pendulumic - Good sounding wireless headphones. But again, I maxed the volume and it didn't feel like I was rocking. 

Astell & Kern - Listed to the AK240 with my ATH-M50's. Underwhelmed with the performance. Listening  to FLAC of Pink Floyd's DSOTM, I maxed the volume. I shouldn't be able to max the volume.

WyWires - Crazy cables! I got to directly A/B my Alpha Dogs with stock cable vs the WyWires. They sounded super clean.

Oppo - I was very excited to demo the HA-1. I've had the BDP-83 for at least 5 years, Oppo just oozes with quality. But sadly it did not compete with my Modi/Magni stack. I used my Alpha Dogs with 1/4" SE. It was very quiet at first, found it on low gain. I still maxed the volume after switching to high gain. This demo left me unimpressed. 

Open Headphones - LCD's, Audeze, Stax, Sennheiser... I just felt like they lacked muscle. Like comparing a thick, hearty pea soup to water.

Out of Your Head - Interesting demo. No idea which headphones I was listening to. It was fun switching between the different speaker presets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back