Official 2014 Bay Area Meet - SUNDAY - Feb 16th, 2014
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #362 of 431
  Whoa, have you seen the price of this cable? That's a really nice raffle prize!

I know, right? I've been needing a USB cable so I've been saving up for the past few months, now I could have a chance at winning one!

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #363 of 431
Update 2/14/2014

Due to severe weather conditions prohibiting travel, en-r cannot attend. 
frown.gif

Will add some gear to Darinf's Table in Salon 2:
  1. D7000, HE-500s, W1000X, Beyerdynamic T1, HD650s, Beyer T90s, Dunu DN1000
  2. Woo Duo
  3. Colorfly C4
  4. DX50
  5. Questyle CMA 800R Current Mode Amplifier (only about 50 of these globally)
  6. Questlye CAS192 DAC  (only about 10 of these globally)
  7. Fully-balanced stack from Yulong with interesting Saber DAC (DA8)
  8. Yulong new balanced amplifier (A28)

(Please note:  Darin may use some of this gear in his demo rigs too, but feel free to ask if there is something you would like to listen to without the DSP demonstration.)

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #365 of 431
Can't wait for this, looking forward to talking with everyone
bigsmile_face.gif
beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #366 of 431
Looking forward to seeing everything there. Thanks to CEETEE for pretty much doing 92% of the organizing.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #367 of 431
  I'm not much of a convention guy, and don't have much of a headset collection, but since I could bike there, was born there, was married there, and may just die in Redwood City, I'll try to make it. Since my only decent headset has provenance, I'll bring it along with the original box and documentation. See you guys on Sunday with Dr. Oskar Heil's very own ESS Mark-I cans. Cheers to you all.

That's quite a rare set you have.  I doubt that many have ever seen one in person, let alone heard one first hand.  I've never see one in the wild, but I'm familiar with the technology.

I really appreciate the fact that meets like this not only provide an opportunity for enthusiasts to experience new equipment, but also rare equipment like the ESS Mark 1 Stereophones. Thank you for sharing!

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #368 of 431

Lets all stay on topic fellas. 
smile.gif
  Thanks!

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #370 of 431
  Anyone not going to the Bay Area meet. I'm sitting a mere 37.1 miles away from Sofitel SF.  ヾ(๑╹◡╹๑)ノ

5.1 miles here
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #371 of 431
Thanks! I was trying to figure out what I could bring to accompany the Mark-I's, as I usually just use an old ipod and a Radio Shack adapter, so I was looking through the basement, and came across the good Dr.'s Marantz CP230/CP430 Stereo Cassette Recorder. I have no idea if it works or not, as the power adapter is from England (I believe), and I'd need to get 3 D batteries and a tape to fire it up, but if it does work, I'll bring that along, and some of Oskar's tapes to play along with. I may dabble with one of this very 70's looking Sony electret (silly Japanese spelling?) condenser microphone ECM-23, also assuming that it works, for anyone that may have a desire to play with such toys.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #374 of 431
  Is it alright if I bring a USB stick with some music to make comparisons to the gear I have at home? Or would it be better to just bring my current headphones?

I think it's a great idea to bring USB sticks with the music you are familiar with. Actually, bring your headphones as well, there is individual difference between the very same model.
beyersmile.png

BTW, anybody interested in doing some blind ABA listening? I can setup to ABA usb cables, PSU(switching vs linear) or even systems. I consider it the best way to find one's own need.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #375 of 431
^Hi Inertius. Absolutely bring some of your reference music on a CD, Jump Drive, even an SD card. Finally a use for cargo pockets... 
wink.gif

I need to try to load up a 32GB SD Card and bring my Squeezebox touch.  Many laptops can read SD cards too.

Anything to control variables so that you can try to have an idea of how stuff sounds.  

When I was trying a lot of components and figuring out my rigs, I brought along:  iDevice (.wav lossless) + Pure i20 dock + Benchmark DAC1 (small, headphone outs) plus my phones.

Basically a full system in a bag. That way I could isolate components. USB sticks are small. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back