Offer advice to a newcomer if you wouldn' mind. Gaming/Music/Movie.
Sep 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

KlNSON

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I was directed to this sight by a friend as being the guru place for headphones. I could use some advice on options for mainly 360 gaming, slight music, and slight movie viewing. I am very new to headset usage for gaming, so please be easy on me! Here goes..

It was suggested by a friend while playing 360 fps's that I explore a headset with surround for some obvious advantages. Cranking my 5.1 speakers for the same purpose is not an option atm. I started looking into x41's but have read a decent amount of testimony that they are crap. I narrowed my choices down to ad700's or hpx's as they seem to provide decent positional cues with tolerable music/movie performance. I would obviously need a virtual surround device to couple with one of these for the 360. I was checking out pics of the hpx's and they looked rather familiar. I remembered I had bought a similar-looking headset before that had crapped out on me. They were from buy.com and exactly named: Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA 5.1 Surround Headset. When I had plugged them in one day, they produced very loud buzz and I just had buy.com credit me. I was too naive/young at the time, but this was probably the amp being shot. They seem to look exactly like the hpx's, just differently colored. I can't really find much info on them. Would these be comparable to the hpx's if I paired them with the mixamp? It is likely the headset is still working properly, just the hpa amp is unusable. I would just like to know if these hpa's with a mixamp would be comparable to my choices as I would like to spend the least amount possible and is the mixamp all I would need to get these functioning?

Any advice is welcome and thank you in advance.

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 20
Another option is the sennheiser 555. It has most of the positioning of the ad700 with more bass, which I think makes games and movies more exciting. I posted a thread similar to yours a couple of days ago and I'm very happy with the 555s.

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 20
I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable giving sennheiser anymore of my money as the 5h's I had just fell apart on me. I will certainly read up on them and think about it though.

Anyone have any experience with the hpa's I have?

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 20
Oh and would someone chime in on what could have caused the headset to buzz very loudly. I believe I just provided power without plugging into my sound card. Is the only cause for this a shot amp?

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 20
Could be a ground loop.  Plug everything into a power strip off of one socket and see if it goes away.

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #10 of 20
Yes, it could very well be a grounding problem. Trying another circuit would be a good idea. You might have also caught a transmission from a cellphone. Leave you cell in a different room and see if that makes a difference.

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 20

Could be a ground loop.  Plug everything into a power strip off of one socket and see if it goes away.

Yes, it could very well be a grounding problem. Trying another circuit would be a good idea. You might have also caught a transmission from a cellphone. Leave you cell in a different room and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys, will try once home.

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 20
depend on the size of your head, you may not be happy with HD555. ppl who often adjust head band will have cracks sooner or later.

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #14 of 20
the guy who said about the cracks on the hd555.  did you not look at my advice about putting clear epoxy on the cracks already there or putting it on brand new phones?  i just bought the hd555 and put a thin layer of clear epoxy where they will crack.  hopefully this will strengthen it up some.  it doesn't look bad at all, you can see a reflective surface but it is a ton better than a big crack there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back