ODAC vs Audioengine D1 vs HRT MS II for the HD 650 and the MK II
Aug 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BulletProve

New Head-Fier
Hi

I cant decide which one to buy
I have the sennheiser HD 650 and the Little Dot MK II
tbh they sound just great as they are but I have been told that I will need a DAC as well

What do you think ?
PS I am looking for a DAC for around $160 if you know any other choices

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 12
Based on your headphones and amp, I'd suggest the ODAC. Your combo is mellow and smooth, and can tolerate the high resolving nature of the ODAC.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 12
Well thats embarrassing but I have just find out that there is ODAC's from Audio Poutine
I thought that ODAC means objective DAC which is from Objective JDS labs only

Can some one please explain to me what does it mean ?

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 12
The ODAC is open source.  Many builders can make it. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 12
I haven't heard the others, but I love my D1. I pair it with both my Little Dot and my Meier Jazz amps...it's a well built, solid little DAC. I actually want to buy another one so I can keep one in place in my main headphone rig and have another one to move about the house. Very hard to beat for $169, plus you get a capable headamp to boot...I use it primarily as a backup, but I know with my Grados it sounds surprisingly good. Lots of good options out there, though! 

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
The ODAC is open source.  Many builders can make it. 

This is incorrect.  ODAC is closed source—as for why, there's an official version and some alternate takes (conspiracy theories), in case you're interested.  More info, a link to the schematic, and a picture of the PCB here:
http://www.yoyodyneconsulting.ca/pages/ODAC.html

ODAC resellers like JDSLabs, Audio Poutine, Epiphany Acoustics, and everybody else, buy the boards from the one actual source that's getting them made.

HRT MS II supports 32 kHz and 88.2 kHz in addition to the more standard 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, and 96 kHz that both support.  Both can do 24-bit operation as well as 16-bit.  So I guess if you have music at 88.2 kHz sampling rate (pretty rare), the MS II means you can handle that without sample rate conversion.  I'm not sure about the Audioengine D1 (over USB).

If you believe their listed specs, it looks like the MS II has a little bit more noise, but that's definitely not going to matter when using the Little Dot MKII and not with the HD 650 either.  You might need very sensitive IEMs, a quiet room, and a really low-noise amp to tell the difference from background hiss, I'd guess.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

This is incorrect.  ODAC is closed source—as for why, there's an official version and some alternate takes (conspiracy theories), in case you're interested.  More info, a link to the schematic, and a picture of the PCB here:

ODAC resellers like JDSLabs, Audio Poutine, Epiphany Acoustics, and everybody else, buy the boards from the one actual source that's getting them made.

HRT MS II supports 32 kHz and 88.2 kHz in addition to the more standard 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, and 96 kHz that both support.  Both can do 24-bit operation as well as 16-bit.  So I guess if you have music at 88.2 kHz sampling rate (pretty rare), the MS II means you can handle that without sample rate conversion.  I'm not sure about the Audioengine D1 (over USB).

If you believe their listed specs, it looks like the MS II has a little bit more noise, but that's definitely not going to matter when using the Little Dot MKII and not with the HD 650 either.  You might need very sensitive IEMs, a quiet room, and a really low-noise amp to tell the difference from background hiss, I'd guess.

Alright that explain it all
About the ODAC
I see some diffrenses in the prices of them
Are they all going to give me the same performance since the board is one ?
I mean should I just get the cheapest ?

And btw which one is better you think, MS II or an ODAC ?

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 12
My mistake. I falsely thought that since the O2 was open source and that the designer of the ODAC is licensing its design for no personal profit, it was also open source. A quick read has proven my first statement as incorrect.

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

About the ODAC

The ODAC is a newer design then the MS II.

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

About the ODAC

The cheapest for you , for me it was head 'n' fi , there could be little difference like enclosure (though now there is a standard case) , RCA output , but it don't matter they work the same . 

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
RCA ?, I dont need those if I am going to use it on my PC only right ?

RCA output , there is some with Jack 3.5 outpout , and RCA output .  (edited above )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back