October 3rd Custom Electronics Midwest Head-Fi meet!
Aug 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #61 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Custom Electronics carries all Grados from SR60i to 325is, so I'm sure they would be happy to bring out whatever you want.

No they don't. They are order only, the only ones they have in store were on my ears the other day.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #62 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No they don't. They are order only, the only ones they have in store were on my ears the other day.

WHAT? Which ones don't they have in store? When I was there to buy my SR225i they had everything.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #63 of 227
Quote:

WHAT? Which ones don't they have in store? When I was there to buy my SR225i they had everything.

When was this? They said they only have the SR125's there at the time. Maybe I've been had... or maybe I didn't ask the right questions.

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #64 of 227
Quote:

When was this? They said they only have the SR125's there at the time. Maybe I've been had... or maybe I didn't ask the right questions.

I think it just depends on what they want to order at the time. Also, perhaps they've been keeping their stock numbers down b/c of the economy. I know when I ordered my grado cartridge from them, they hadn't put in an order with grado for some time.

Nylan

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #65 of 227
Quote:

Maybe two months ago. But the guy there said that they had just gotten in the shipment of 'improved' Grados the day before, so maybe I lucked out.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #66 of 227
Having never participated in one of these, what sort of schedule are we looking at? When will things be up and running. I am thinking of heading down Sat morning and staying the night, vs heading down Friday night as well.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #67 of 227
Having never participated in one of these, either, I'm kind of in the same boat.

Larry at CE said that he thought the meet would be the whole day when I talked to him. The store is open 10-5 on Saturdays. I intend to be there the whole time, minus breaks for smokes and lunch. Assuming an hour for setup, and an hour for teardown, we're looking at 11-4 approximately, but there's no requirement to be there at any particular time, so come when you can. He also indicated that anyone is welcome to attend, not just those who have responded to the thread.

Anyone planning to bring equipment that requires power should bring a power strip and an extension cord, 10' long or so. I will bring a couple of power strips, but having it and not needing it is much better than the alternative.

He also told me that snacks/soft drinks are OK with him, as long as we're careful with them. I would strongly suggest only bottled drinks with a screw-top lid. Alcohol is a no-go.

I have not seen the site, so I don't know exactly how much room there is. LingLing, can you tell us how it looks? Larry told me a conference table and another table, but that doesn't tell me how big the tables are. I am a little concerned that we might get cramped if all the equipment on the list actually shows up. I am going to try to get up there in the near future, just to thank the man personally, and to see the layout.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #68 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having never participated in one of these, either, I'm kind of in the same boat.

Larry at CE said that he thought the meet would be the whole day when I talked to him. The store is open 10-5 on Saturdays. I intend to be there the whole time, minus breaks for smokes and lunch. Assuming an hour for setup, and an hour for teardown, we're looking at 11-4 approximately, but there's no requirement to be there at any particular time, so come when you can. He also indicated that anyone is welcome to attend, not just those who have responded to the thread.

Anyone planning to bring equipment that requires power should bring a power strip and an extension cord, 10' long or so. I will bring a couple of power strips, but having it and not needing it is much better than the alternative.

He also told me that snacks/soft drinks are OK with him, as long as we're careful with them. I would strongly suggest only bottled drinks with a screw-top lid. Alcohol is a no-go.

I have not seen the site, so I don't know exactly how much room there is. LingLing, can you tell us how it looks? Larry told me a conference table and another table, but that doesn't tell me how big the tables are. I am a little concerned that we might get cramped if all the equipment on the list actually shows up. I am going to try to get up there in the near future, just to thank the man personally, and to see the layout.

Yeah, I'll be there the entire time too. And I'll be out there with some smoke breaks.

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #69 of 227
Quote:

Larry at CE said that he thought the meet would be the whole day when I talked to him. The store is open 10-5 on Saturdays. I intend to be there the whole time, minus breaks for smokes and lunch. Assuming an hour for setup, and an hour for teardown, we're looking at 11-4 approximately, but there's no requirement to be there at any particular time, so come when you can...

...I have not seen the site, so I don't know exactly how much room there is. LingLing, can you tell us how it looks? Larry told me a conference table and another table, but that doesn't tell me how big the tables are. I am a little concerned that we might get cramped if all the equipment on the list actually shows up.

1) 11-4 sounds good.

2) when I was in the conference room I approximated that there was room for probably 6 rigs (CDP+DAC+Amp, TT+Preamp+amp) if they're all bunched together on the main conference table and room for maybe 10 'phones (probably more but I'm trying to be conservative since I'm not for sure) on the 'spare table'. I could bring in a folding cards table or something. There'll probably be just enough room for 10 people to mill around.

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #70 of 227
Quote:

when I was in the conference room I approximated that there was room for probably 6 rigs and room for maybe 10 'phones (probably more but I'm trying to be conservative since I'm not for sure) on the 'spare table'. There'll probably be just enough room for 10 people to mill around.

That sounds like it could get a bit cramped if everyone shows up with all their equipment.
frown.gif
I guess it's a learning experience for most of us, so we'll go with it. I asked Larry about card tables, he was unsure how/if they'd fit, and of course that would take up some of the people space.

I'd say that tube amps should be set up and left on, other equipment could be swapped in/out as people wanted to listen to it, if we run short on space.

If you have a stand for any headphones you are bringing, please bring it, that should save a little bit of table space.

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #71 of 227
After an absence of over two years (I was happy with my setup) I ended up back here looking up a review for my friend about an RCA cable. I noticed that there was going to be an Omaha meet. Since I was here I started looking around at potential upgrades. I succumbed and am now the owner of HD-650's with Revelation Audio Labs cryo-silver cable. With the "dent" mod,
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/so...-cable-437442/

So add that to the list.

I notice imperfection in my system now, and it starts again...poor wallet.

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #72 of 227
I didn't realize that they weren't going to be opening up another room for us to use. I'm sure they have a theater room that they wouldn't be using (then again, any loss in sales during this time of year would hurt their business pretty badly).

Looking at the current list of gear, it looks like we can set up about 5-6 sources and just swap amps and/or dacs. Just a thought.

I'm not surprised about the alcohol. A little disheartened, but not surprised.

Also, since I live about 15 minutes from CE, I'll be there to help set up.

Nylan

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #73 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After an absence of over two years (I was happy with my setup) I ended up back here looking up a review for my friend about an RCA cable. I noticed that there was going to be an Omaha meet. Since I was here I started looking around at potential upgrades. I succumbed and am now the owner of HD-650's with Revelation Audio Labs cryo-silver cable. With the "dent" mod,
smily_headphones1.gif

So add that to the list.

I notice imperfection in my system now, and it starts again...poor wallet.

You should have kept running.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the current list of gear, it looks like we can set up about 5-6 sources and just swap amps and/or dacs. Just a thought.

I'm not surprised about the alcohol. A little disheartened, but not surprised.

Also, since I live about 15 minutes from CE, I'll be there to help set up.

Nylan

Yah, I think tube equipment and delicate/difficult to set up items like turntables should probably stay in place, powered. Everything else can be swapped as needed.

At this point, we're not going to have so many people that we can't all take turns listening to what we want to hear, and we can probably stack a fair amount of the equipment that is designed to do so. I'll bring some felt pieces with me that we can use to cushion feet to avoid the possibility of marring anything.

On another note, TTVJ has graciously offered to send us some amps, possibly other stuff for demo purposes, but we (collectively) will have to stand the cost of sending it back to him, I expect. Since I talked to him, I expect to receive, bring to the meet, and return the demo items, and I have access to a corporate shipping account through work, so the cost will be as low as can be expected. I don't know how much it will cost, as I'm not sure exactly what he's sending. I will try my best to get a shipping cost before coming to the meet. I'd appreciate any amount you can give, anything above the shipping cost I'll donate to Head-Fi.

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #74 of 227
Quote:

You should have kept running.
icon10.gif

Yah, I think tube equipment and delicate/difficult to set up items like turntables should probably stay in place, powered. Everything else can be swapped as needed.

At this point, we're not going to have so many people that we can't all take turns listening to what we want to hear, and we can probably stack a fair amount of the equipment that is designed to do so. I'll bring some felt pieces with me that we can use to cushion feet to avoid the possibility of marring anything.

On another note, TTVJ has graciously offered to send us some amps, possibly other stuff for demo purposes, but we (collectively) will have to stand the cost of sending it back to him, I expect. Since I talked to him, I expect to receive, bring to the meet, and return the demo items, and I have access to a corporate shipping account through work, so the cost will be as low as can be expected. I don't know how much it will cost, as I'm not sure exactly what he's sending. I will try my best to get a shipping cost before coming to the meet. I'd appreciate any amount you can give, anything above the shipping cost I'll donate to Head-Fi.

I'll contribute, how much would it cost?

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #75 of 227
Quote:

Quote:

I'll contribute, how much would it cost?

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back