October 3rd Custom Electronics Midwest Head-Fi meet!
Aug 11, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #91 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something on my mind at the moment is, what type of loss prevention will we enforce? Are we going to take any steps to prevent theft? Backpack searches etc? Ideally nobody should be leaving with anything they didn't bring unless the other person that brought it verifies a trade or something...

I think about the same thing. I don't want to be super paranoid or say you are all thieves. But I was always told to not to trust people on the internet, not matter how nice they seem.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't been to a meet so I don't know how it works but when this is in full swing it will be an expensive room. I would hate for something to go missing.

I don't have any solutions though. I agree that a gear list would certainly be an easy step.

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #92 of 227
I guess if you feel uncomfortable with it, don't bring your gear at all, (which would be unfortunate, and kind of defeats the purpose of the meet altogether), or if you have some particular item(s) that you're concerned with, lock it in the car when it's not being used.

I'm going to have tags on all my gear, so hopefully if someone is putting stuff in a box to go home, they'll see the tag and say, "Oh, this is tenzip's, I grabbed it by accident."

I know there are "lost and found" threads after big meets, for things that got into the wrong box, but I don't think it will be a problem. Having a list and checking it twice seems like a good idea. I know I plan on bringing some extra stuff like power strips, RCA cables, etc., for the inevitable "Darn it, I left that sitting on the table at home".

If everyone hasn't read the sticky threads at the top of this sub-forum, please do. One of the things mentioned is, if you want to take headphones or something else from someone's rig to try it with another, or make changes in the setup, get permission first.

As far as criminal intent, I guess I have to say I hope nobody is making that part of their meet plans.

I spent quite a bit of time editing and re-editing this post, and I probably could have edited everything out except the first paragraph.

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #93 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by slytown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of record collection do you have?

Ah, that reminds me, I'll have to bring some records, my dad has some good ones. I've got ~5,500 tracks, mostly FLAC, on a computer too, I'll see if I can transfer them to the external HDD and bring that out.

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #94 of 227
You are right tenzip. There is no reason to think about the worst. Accidents happen but will be sorted out.

By no means will I not bring what I have for all to enjoy.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #95 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right tenzip. There is no reason to think about the worst. Accidents happen but will be sorted out.

By no means will I not bring what I have for all to enjoy.

darthsmile.gif
Good to hear.

I'm surprised that we're still slowly gaining attendees. And the meet date seems to be approaching so fast! Even though it's only August I'm full of anticipation.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #96 of 227
There is a pretty heavy level of trust at a meet. Mostly, you have to be aware of who is using your stuff and make sure to always ask if you are going to be listening to another person's gear.

Tagging your stuff is a good idea and making sure to itemize your stuff is another. Make a list if you're bringing a substantial amount of gear.

Always double check your gear to make sure you didn't forget anything.

Nylan

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #97 of 227
I wish it were closer but realistically I know it would need to be somewhere like Omaha, Denver, Minneapolis, etc.

And given that what I have is well used and old (modified HD580s + HeadRoom Cosmic), I doubt they would add much if anything to the line up you're shooting for.

So at this point paint me as a pass with a sigh
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #99 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll try to make it! I only have HD-580 enigma audio silver cabled and a mini^3 right now, but I should have my Starving Student built by then.

sure, I'll put you on the list.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #100 of 227
Sorry folks, I'm going to have to cancel, as there is another not-to-be-missed audio meet the same day, and a lot closer to me. Maybe next time...

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #102 of 227
Bah, I was looking forward to hearing some 'stats. That's alright though.

By the way, I should have a Little Dot Micro Tube by meet time!

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #103 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I should have a Little Dot Micro Tube by meet time!

Sweet. I'm resisting the urge to buy anything new, but my sales resistance is low.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #104 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet. I'm resisting the urge to buy anything new, but my sales resistance is low.

ha, I'm gettin a good deal- trading a bunch of stuff I don't use anymore for a new amplifier!

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #105 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw, man. What meet, if you don't mind saying?

I plan to attend the local Audiokarma meet, known as Twangfest, on the shores of beautiful Lake Gardner. If there is an extremely trustworthy Head-Fi member going from KC to the Omaha meet, I might consider sending the Stax along. I am considering selling them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back