Ocharaku Flat-4 KAEDE (Maple)
Apr 9, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #241 of 1,190
Quote:
I guess I'm kinda the opposite. Even with the 1Plus2s I don't synch them up. Not very much. Maybe a little bit so its not lose but not where I can feel it touching my chin (not into that :p).

I'm a control freak, if everything is not tight I'm stressed. Not to the point of being SM though :wink:

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #242 of 1,190
I think I posted something like this before, but what, in your opinion are the best tips for the Kaedes?

So far, I've only seen Ortofons and Sony Hybrids appear in this thread. Are there any benefits/shortcomings for ea?

Oh, and would any of you describe the sound of the Kaede as nasally?

resurrecting this thread back to the front page

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #243 of 1,190
I'm a fan of the final audio design heaven VI B tips. Results in the largest stage and preserves treble energy. I don't have the Kaede but I understand that they sound very similar to the SUI. I wouldn't describe it as nasally, no, but it pays to experiment with tips

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #244 of 1,190
Quote:
I'm a fan of the final audio design heaven VI B tips. Results in the largest stage and preserves treble energy. I don't have the Kaede but I understand that they sound very similar to the SUI. I wouldn't describe it as nasally, no, but it pays to experiment with tips

I don't image they sell them separately do they?

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #245 of 1,190
Whoops, my mistake, I mean to say the medium A type for the Heaven VI. You can get a set here:

http://final-audio-design-directshop.com/final/7.1/FI-EP/

I lent my Flat-4 to SoundFreaq and he got around to preferring the FAD tips too after tip rolling

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #246 of 1,190
Quote:
Whoops, my mistake, I mean to say the medium A type for the Heaven VI. You can get a set here:

http://final-audio-design-directshop.com/final/7.1/FI-EP/

I lent my Flat-4 to SoundFreaq and he got around to preferring the FAD tips too after tip rolling

....aww this requires a japan purchase doesn't it...

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #247 of 1,190
Quote:
I think I posted something like this before, but what, in your opinion are the best tips for the Kaedes?

So far, I've only seen Ortofons and Sony Hybrids appear in this thread. Are there any benefits/shortcomings for ea?

Oh, and would any of you describe the sound of the Kaede as nasally?

resurrecting this thread back to the front page

I prefer the TG334 tips for the Kaede.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #248 of 1,190
Quote:
I prefer the TG334 tips for the Kaede.

Is it a "special" type of tip? Preferably if these tips were accessable in the US. Importing would be too cumbersome.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #249 of 1,190
Lee730 and James444 like to combine a Sony tip with a UE one if that helps. Both are common tips that you may already own or at least are readily available in the US

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #250 of 1,190
Quote:
Is it a "special" type of tip? Preferably if these tips were accessable in the US. Importing would be too cumbersome.

They are silicon tips that have larger bore than others.  I wish I know where to get a second pair of them.  Now my kaede and 334 share one pair. Another way is that if you have friends who have 334 use different size of tips from you, don't let them go and ask for one pair :)

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #251 of 1,190
Running quick through this thread I still couldn't get the idea how the Kaede renders midrange, other than the comparison by james444 between the Sui and FX700.

Currently own SM3 (now you know my preference :)). From what I read Kaede sounds spacious, does vocals presentation appear to be recessed because of the soundstage?

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #252 of 1,190
Quote:
Running quick through this thread I still couldn't get the idea how the Kaede renders midrange, other than the comparison by james444 between the Sui and FX700.

Currently own SM3 (now you know my preference :)). From what I read Kaede sounds spacious, does vocals presentation appear to be recessed because of the soundstage?

I think you need to decide whether the signature suits you....

The Kaede does image and soundstage wonderfully, however when a IEM has those characters, part and parcel of this is that, images within the soundstage are in proportion. So from that perspective the vocals can be classed as recessed from an IEM users perspective but the actual sound is wonderfully correct!

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #253 of 1,190
Quote:

Can't speak for the KAEDE, but the SUI is significantly less forward and lush in the mids than the SM3. Upper mids are thinner and treble is more agressive than on the polite Earsonics.

As a complement they'd be fine imo, but if you want something with more similar sound signature to the SM3, I'd highly recommend the TOGO 334 instead.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #254 of 1,190
I can only speak of the Flat-4 SUI, but from what I understand, the Kaede and SUI are pretty similar. SUI definitely projects a larger stage than the SM3, with more emphasis on width and lateral depth vs. the SM3's more spherical presentation. The SUI beats out the SM3 in imaging IMO as the directional cues on the SM3 can sound off to me. It's immersive for sure, but the extreme intimacy and viscous midrange can result in a rather congested/claustrophobic sound. The F-4 tends to centralize vocals similar to the SM3, with instruments floating off to either side, suspended laterally in space; you can easily approximate the distance between instruments and vocals as everything is allotted ample room within this space. Vocals are dialed back perhaps two or three notches but can feel more distant depending upon the recording, they are however, clearer and more nuanced on the F-4, and it's actually easier to ingest the entirety of a piece of music given that there isn't this laser focus on any one element. I feel the intimate presentation of mid focused armature monitors can be pretty distracting, as listening to music can feel like trying to appreciate a painting from two feet away as opposed to ten; while being closer does bring an extreme degree of clarity to individual subjects you lose the overall focus on the composition as a whole, since various elements (vocals or guitars for instance) tend to pop out at you, distracting you at every turn. All in all, the F-4 will net you large gains in soundstage, detail, clarity, dynamic range, and bass/treble extension, but it won't impart that lush midrange if that's what you're after. Still, that same smooth presentation comes at a cost, as the SM3 is so smooth and forgiving that it tends to gloss over details and robs music of grit, edge and texture. I'd recommend the FAD Heaven VI as an upgrade if you enjoy the SM3's lush midrange (but not to the detriment of loss of detail), and I'd put the Flat-4 (SUI) and the FAD Heaven VI on a par, technically. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back