Ocharaku Flat-4 KAEDE (Maple)
Apr 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #226 of 1,190
Quote:

Going by Rin's graph, the FX700 peak at 80Hz, same as the IE8/80. Sub-bass is 5-7db down from there. It will be interesting to see the SUI, which I hear as better balanced between mid- and sub-bass than the FX700. I wouldn't be surprised if they turn out looking more like the 334 than the FX700 in bass.

I'm not so sure about the 334s lol. At least from what I heard the bass was rather congested on them and overbearing. I think a big part of it is due to how slow the bass decay is. So in that is lingers too long.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #227 of 1,190
Quote:
I'm not so sure about the 334s lol. At least from what I heard the bass was rather congested on them and overbearing. I think a big part of it is due to how slow the bass decay is. So in that is lingers a too long.

Well, I was just speaking of frequency response. Of course your dead-right that the transients (attack/decay) play a big part in how we perceive tone characteristics overall. For instance, two phones that look very similar from their frequency response graphs, may in fact have widely different transients and thus sound completely different to the listener.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #228 of 1,190
Would any of you say that the sound the Kaede produces is unique? Maybe in comparison to other universals in the range of price.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #229 of 1,190
Well regarding the Sui I definitely think its quite unique and a great value for its price-point in comparison to other more expensive IEMs which I feel it competes with. I'd love to hear what the Kaede sounds like if indeed its an improvement :).

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #230 of 1,190
It's a
Is the mid bass really the issue on the FX700? I was under the impression it is the sub bass that goes overboard but the mid bass is relative to the sub bass in balance. I agree the IE8/IE80 stock has a major mid bass issue. Still I found the IEM more tolerable than the FX700 at normal to higher volume levels. Although the tape mod and silver cable really balanced them out IMO.

lt is almost impossible to bloat sub bass to the effect that would annoy anyone. Why? Because music that outputs sub bass frequencies is so few and far between no one would notice. That, and most ears will never hear it anyway.

Really low frequencies, even at high sound pressure levels, are often barely audible. The FX series suffers from mid bass bloat and nothing more. As always, James provides a great, balanced opinion on earphone performance.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #231 of 1,190
Quote:
Would any of you say that the sound the Kaede produces is unique? Maybe in comparison to other universals in the range of price.

Yes, I would definitely say that, first and foremost because of some kind of inner contrast between their solid, authoritative bass and their almost calligraphically uber-detailed treble.

Then, because they seem to exude a distinct and serene calm, whether due to unusual low resonance or distortion I don't know, but it makes them particularly well suited for genres like minimal and ambient music in my book.

So, overall they're not the most transparent pair of IEMs imo, but in their own way quite unique.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #232 of 1,190
Quote:
As always, James provides a great, balanced opinion on earphone performance.

I really have to buy you a beer sometime... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #233 of 1,190
Quote:
It's a
lt is almost impossible to bloat sub bass to the effect that would annoy anyone. Why? Because music that outputs sub bass frequencies is so few and far between no one would notice. That, and most ears will never hear it anyway.

Really low frequencies, even at high sound pressure levels, are often barely audible. The FX series suffers from mid bass bloat and nothing more. As always, James provides a great, balanced opinion on earphone performance.

Well from my perspective I didn't see the mid bass clouding the music like the IE8/IE80 did. Just I found the bass levels to be too prominent in comparison to its mids as well as the treble. Thus I found it overbearing. I thought it was just excessive sub bass. So is the FX500 mid bass heavy as well?

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #235 of 1,190
Nice idea. I'm a bit adamant about doing that though as I don't want to put anymore strain on the plugs themselves (since the cable isn't user-replaceable).

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #237 of 1,190
Quote:
I'll be gentle :). Too much of a hassle otherwise IMO.

How did you make it? I'm really bad with hands on stuff...

Oh, and is it possible to convert it into a removable cable type IEM. I'm not sure if BTG could do it.

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #238 of 1,190
Quote:
I'll be gentle :). Too much of a hassle otherwise IMO.

Don't you put them over ear? I've gotten accustomed to wearing them that way and its not a hassle for me. It took a while to get the proper fit though as things sounded off when inserted in the wrong angle. The UE tips really did it for me.

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #239 of 1,190
Quote:
How did you make it? I'm really bad with hands on stuff...

Oh, and is it possible to convert it into a removable cable type IEM. I'm not sure if BTG could do it.

10 seconds: I used some electrical tape (black waterproof tape) that I folded over itself three times and then made in a cylinder. It is very flexible so as to put no pressure on the wire. I would not risk the rewiring. It might change the sound.
Quote:
Don't you put them over ear? I've gotten accustomed to wearing them that way and its not a hassle for me. It took a while to get the proper fit though as things sounded off when inserted in the wrong angle. The UE tips really did it for me.

I wear them over ear very deep with the Ortofon large. Still I like to feel the iem tight around my neck and not dangling around...I am a bit anal about it...

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #240 of 1,190
I guess I'm kinda the opposite. Even with the 1Plus2s I don't synch them up. Not very much. Maybe a little bit so its not lose but not where I can feel it touching my chin (not into that :p).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back