Obscure Chinese DAPs
Nov 19, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #7,966 of 8,152
Hey sorry for being a bother would it be possible for you to try the same sd card you use with the fa4 with the t3 and check if you have the issues I described above. As I like am trying to confirm if my unit does actually have some issues. Related to the hardware
Battery drain : same thing. USB DAC mode seems to work fine ATM. BUT, i'm running MX Linux and i don't have any "winblow$" installed on my machines.
Also, i've successfully updated the T3 to latest firmware version, no trouble. So, your device may be defective. Or it might be an issue related to "winblow$".
Or both...
Edit : Or perhaps a defective USB port. Either on the DAP or on your computer. Try to connect the DAP on another USB port and see what happens...

Also, i can tell that the quality of the micro SD card inserted in the device is crucial. A good quality card improves performance.
I'm using Lexar 128Gb and keep less than 3000 audio files on this micro SD. And ISO DSD is a must to be honest !
This way the scanning process & library update is lightning fast...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #7,967 of 8,152
Battery drain : same thing. USB DAC mode seems to work fine ATM. BUT, i'm running MX Linux and i don't have any "winblow$" installed on my machines.
Also, i've successfully updated the T3 to latest firmware version, no trouble. So, your device may be defective. Or it might be an issue related to "winblow$".
Or both...
Ah so the battery drain may infact be due to some software issue.
Yeah usb dac was actually working fine for me earlier but kwow version 8.1 it didn't let me try it again who knows it might start working
again!
Though my issue is with the mass storage does it work with your t3?
Yeah also I am using fedora and none of that winbloat LOL!

Nov 19, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #7,969 of 8,152
Ah so the battery drain may infact be due to some software issue.
Yeah usb dac was actually working fine for me earlier but kwow version 8.1 it didn't let me try it again who knows it might start working
again!
Though my issue is with the mass storage does it work with your t3?
Yeah also I am using fedora and none of that winbloat LOL!
/*EDIT*/
I've just plugged in my unit and checked the "Mass Storage Device" option and it does not work as expected : It just disconnected after a few moments. SO : it's most likely a firmware downgrade. A bug. A nasty one !
/*EDIT*/

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #7,971 of 8,152
Yes, it seems this firmware is a work in progress, they're still fixing bugs so user feedback is important.
Hopefully they will release an update which fixes all these issues.

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #7,973 of 8,152
I guess we'll have to be patient and wait a few months before they hopefully roll out a nice firmware upgrade.
These DAPs : the hardware is great and they have a good basis for the firmware to work upon.
I'm pretty sure they work really hard to get there.
Let's wait and see how they manage...

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #7,974 of 8,152
I guess we'll have to be patient and wait a few months before they hopefully roll out a nice firmware upgrade.
These DAPs : the hardware is great and they have a good basis for the firmware to work upon.
I'm pretty sure they work really hard to get there.
Let's wait and see how they manage...
Yeah I even made a list of issues and sent it to them. Other than one of the issues none have been fixed yet lol. Btw may I know when you tried connecting it as mass storage how many songs did it have in the sd card cuz mine has 11900 songs in mine...

Nov 19, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #7,975 of 8,152
There were 2749 Hi-Res audio files on the Lexar 128Gb when i plugged the cable. I've quickly copied a few dozen files to the micro SD. And then *BAM* it disconnected right away after the copy was over... This left me a little bit confused, so i un-plugged and re-plugged the device to check if the files were correctly copied onto the micro SD. And yes, they were... But then the DAP disconnected once again ! Conclusion : the connection is unstable and unreliable. I'll have to rollback to the previous firmware i guess.

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #7,976 of 8,152
There were 2749 Hi-Res audio files on the Lexar 128Gb when i plugged the cable. I've quickly copied a few dozen files to the micro SD. And then *BAM* it disconnected right away after the copy was over... This left me a little bit confused, so i un-plugged and re-plugged the device to check if the files were correctly copied onto the micro SD. And yes, they were... But then the DAP disconnected once again ! Conclusion : the connection is unstable and unreliable. I'll have to rollback to the previous firmware i guess.
Ah it seems the issues I face with the mass usb maybe infact software related. In mine of you choose the usb mass storage it will act like nothing happened and go back to the main menu but then when you try to interact with the device again you notice the system has crashed. I really do think there is something wrong with their sd card reading method when they interact with large volume of files as the device would do something similar when tasked with reading the update file. (As for rolling back I wouldn't really suggest that the latest 8.1 I feel has reduced the time it takes for the initial boot read to take)

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #7,979 of 8,152
Showing $83.99 for me. Is it any good? Gapless playback?
On the product page there is a coupon to click to apply for an additional 10% off. It’s up near the top of the listing and may say “Extra Savings” by it. I don’t have the player but have been looking at this one and the Surfans F28. They look similar and there seems to be more out there on the Surfans brand in general but the F28 is like $120 even on a “Black Friday” sale.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back