Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jun 26, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #7,712 of 8,152
Bit of info.

The distortion of 0.008% on the Aigo Eros Ten had me suspecting that there might be another BB/TI dac inside. Pretty much confirmed now:

In the product introduction, it did not say what main control and DAC amp it uses. Later, through the official data query, I learned that it uses: X1000+PCM5102A hardware architecture, dual-core 1.0GHz full-format audio chip, and DSD decoding. The earplugs I use are from Dyneco T5. My sense of hearing about this player is: the sound field is not too big, the horizontal width is still good, and the vertical depth is still slightly too shallow. It is difficult to have a great sense of height when listening to a good speaker. It is not bad for the Patriot EROS TEN to have such a performance. Listening to the symphony music that is easy to identify the positioning of the instruments, you can feel that the positioning and separation of the instruments are somewhat scattered, and the overtones of the instruments give the impression of being restrained and slightly less dense. I tried it out to a friend, and he felt that the sound field has a very good spatial restoration power for popular music, and it can better make vocals and soundtracks very clear. Although it can decode DSD, it cannot be classified as an audiophile-level player. If it is compared with a player of the same size, it is basically at the upper, middle and upper level.

Officially called tri-band equalization, the more prominent among the tri-bands to me is the mid-frequency. In its low frequency, the potential is good, but the rebound is too fast, and there is a sense of regret. The diving depth is quite good. For the machine, it defines a sports HiFi player, and it can have a better diving depth. Sports MP3 belongs to the upstream level. The mid-frequency part has a lot of sound coloration, which is a bit like the warm tone coloring of Dafa, which is very pleasing to the ears and is more suitable for listening to popular songs. The high-frequency processing is not sharp and harsh, a bit like the softening and astringent feeling of "Converging Water" in Danbao's "Convergent Water" after the high-frequency is processed.

From a chinese review. I'll grab one when the price drops a bit more on aliexpress.

Jul 3, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #7,713 of 8,152
Jul 26, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #7,714 of 8,152
Alright, the Shmci C4 arrived... it is in fact the Zero Monster H-10.

Can't find any info online about this brand or model. But the C4 was supposed to have the same DAC/AMP as the Nintaus x10, so... if this still has those internals... I don't know, but it sounds good man.

Listening now. I loaded it with all my MP3's (lowest production-quality music I keep as MP3 320) and it beats the Sony NW-E394 that my MP3's lived on handily in terms of sound quality. Clear and warm. Nice treble without getting harsh. Great percussion. Strong, sensible bass.
UI mostly works. Category browsing will shuffle tracks out of their album order, but file browsing works fine, and my music library is well-organised, so it's all good.

I got one of the rebranded Shmci C4 in a week ago or so and I find that it generally works fine and the UI is reasonable enough. My biggest complaint is the UI is cripplingly slow. It takes forever to navigate around or even skip tracks.

Is the Zero Monster H-10 any more responsive when navigating around?

Jul 26, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #7,715 of 8,152
I got one of the rebranded Shmci C4 in a week ago or so and I find that it generally works fine and the UI is reasonable enough. My biggest complaint is the UI is cripplingly slow. It takes forever to navigate around or even skip tracks.

Is the Zero Monster H-10 any more responsive when navigating around?
No, it's laggy :D

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #7,716 of 8,152
That being said... it's not 'cripplingly slow'. Just a touch laggy. It's at least as responsive as this thing:

...which I just found. Heyyyyy. It's some sorta new-production Aigo 105 Plus.

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #7,719 of 8,152
Eh... its hard to tell as he isnt navigating through folders of folders nor is he skipping like 10 songs at a time.
This is true. And neither am I... I have one list of albums, one folder deep. So I couldn't comment on what you're describing.

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #7,720 of 8,152
An "interesting" bug of my F.Audio Fa3s. Some synth sounds somehow "buzzing" (square or sawtooth wave) aren't handled correctly. For example "Wrong" by Depeche Mode is simply unlistenable, instrumental parts slow down with heavy distortion... this happen with any file format. I didn't check the older Fa3, while the S1 has no problem. Luckily it doesn't happen too often, but... but... 😒 And I think F.Audio won't make new FW for the Fa3s. Maybe bye to F.Audio 👋

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #7,721 of 8,152
An "interesting" bug of my F.Audio Fa3s. Some synth sounds somehow "buzzing" (square or sawtooth wave) aren't handled correctly. For example "Wrong" by Depeche Mode is simply unlistenable, instrumental parts slow down with heavy distortion... this happen with any file format. I didn't check the older Fa3, while the S1 has no problem. Luckily it doesn't happen too often, but... but... 😒 And I think F.Audio won't make new FW for the Fa3s. Maybe bye to F.Audio 👋
That kinda sucks, I've been eyeballing the fa3s for a while, I have there s1, love it, planned on fa1 but heard is had alot of bugs, fa2 also had some random issues (and a sub bass roll off)
I skipped on the fa3 because didn't see enough reviews, seems f.Audio can't really do midfi very well, too bad.

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #7,722 of 8,152
That kinda sucks, I've been eyeballing the fa3s for a while, I have there s1, love it, planned on fa1 but heard is had alot of bugs, fa2 also had some random issues (and a sub bass roll off)
I skipped on the fa3 because didn't see enough reviews, seems f.Audio can't really do midfi very well, too bad.
Checked the Fa3 also... same. Moreover, I am re-playing all recent D.Mode album that I heard long ago by other means OMG 😳😱 too many songs I had to skip. Definitely bye to F.Audio, I won't dare the Fa4. I keep the good S1. F.Audio engineers are kidding, did they use only sine waves to test the FA series? Pity because I like the sound, the look, battery life and ease of use.

Edit: I remind a funny warning about Xs-01 (still xunsound) on Penon and maybe Ali too: this dap may produce a ticking noise...😳 and who's gonna buy it? Oh, that warning was shown months after I bought mine.... received complains? 😏

Being the Fa3 and Fa3s still on sale on Penon/Ali (!!!!!) they should warn, best for voice/acoustic, with electric/synth/electronic it may occasionally scratch your tunes...

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #7,723 of 8,152
Final thought about F.Audio, based on my experience: not recommended.

Pros for the products: SQ, driving power, nice look, ease of use, physical buttons, battery life (S1, Fa3s. Others average)
Cons for the brand: No official website and bad support. Some FW updates that are awkward to get and never seem to improve anything meaningfully. As soon as a product get out of list, no more updates.

The only good product is S1, the cheapest.

Then I owned:
Xs-01 Cons: no resume play (is present in the setting, but it doesn't work) click noise with some genres. Both ouch!

Xs-03 (two units!!!!) Cons: are you kidding me? The first after I enjoy it awhile I tried to open and took off the internal to watch, and no more sound. Thinking it was my fault because I had to press a little the motherboard to slide it out so I may have broken something. Ordered a second Xs-03. Trying to work on the "dead" one I casually touched the dap with magnetized metal and the sound return. But is unstable, when turn on one channel is silent, touching the dap with something metallic then both channels work but sometimes need a shake because of occasional unbalancings... ok stop use it or rather than a shake I may give it a kick 😮‍💨😡🦶💥 Too late to cancel the order of the second Xs-03. It arrived, tried it... one channel defective full of loud pops and noise. Unusable. Two pieces of junk.

Fa3 - Fa3s Cons: told above, unable to play some kind of electronic sounds. A late discover, it seem I was... "lucky" to have played music without those "difficult" sounds until recently (needless to say, difficult only for F.Audio) I don't know if the Xs-03 has this issue too and I don't care.

F(ake) Audio.... bye

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #7,724 of 8,152
And I binned the Ziku x10 today. One day while switching from LO to PO something started a crackling and hissing- so goodbye clear sound. Tried rolling the op-amp, because that was all a non-electronics sort like myself could do, and because the option was there, but the problem remained.

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #7,725 of 8,152
Got the Ruizu A55. I'm really enjoying it.

No issues and what a difference to my Yescool S5.

My only complaint is the crappy battery life.(Arround 10 hours)

I looked up other players on AliExpress but It looks like the most players are arround 10-15 hours playtime and that most players don't accept 512gb sd cards or bigger.

Price was also acceptable. I paid 100€.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back