Obscure Chinese DAPs
Sep 10, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #7,741 of 8,158
Both H2 and F20 lack USB C, that's a deal break for me sadly.

I hear people say this often and I'm curious as to why if you don't mind me asking. I'm not trying to change your mind or anything. I'm just genuinely wondering.

Sep 10, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #7,743 of 8,158
I use one charger for all my devices, no mess with cables plus Micro USB connector is horrible to use. X3 was exception and it was a pain.

I get you. I have tons if devices and I only charge mine at home so it hasn't been bothersome to me at all, but I totally get the desire to limit the number of chargers and cables you use. I was just wondering if it was some functionality issue that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for answering and I hope you find what you're looking for.

BTW, there's a series of DAPs on AliExpress made by Zishan and I have heard good things about the power and sound quality available in the Z3s, Z4s, and DSD versions in particular. It looks like they're assembled from OEM kits/parts, but they seem to be well done and the come in a variety of DAC chip and OpAmp configurations. I have seen them with various AKM, ESS, and Cirrus chips in them if you look around.

I have decided to collect a few low cost non-Android DAPs to have around and will probably buy one or two myself.

Sep 11, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #7,744 of 8,158
I hear people say this often and I'm curious as to why if you don't mind me asking. I'm not trying to change your mind or anything. I'm just genuinely wondering.
Well, a little research explains, usb and micro USB were invented with planned obsolescence in mind, micro USB especially. USB-C was not, so in short, it last much longer (because of the geometry, ability to reverse)
And if your phone has type c then you can take 1 charger for everything. Also there is the fact that it's so much more convenient

Sep 11, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #7,745 of 8,158
I get you. I have tons if devices and I only charge mine at home so it hasn't been bothersome to me at all, but I totally get the desire to limit the number of chargers and cables you use. I was just wondering if it was some functionality issue that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for answering and I hope you find what you're looking for.

BTW, there's a series of DAPs on AliExpress made by Zishan and I have heard good things about the power and sound quality available in the Z3s, Z4s, and DSD versions in particular. It looks like they're assembled from OEM kits/parts, but they seem to be well done and the come in a variety of DAC chip and OpAmp configurations. I have seen them with various AKM, ESS, and Cirrus chips in them if you look around.

I have decided to collect a few low cost non-Android DAPs to have around and will probably buy one or two myself.

I have the Z3 with AK4493 and the Z4.

The Z3 UI is very bare bones but it sounds great, I haven't had a single problem with it.

The Z4 UI is a little more modern but still not something that would sell any of these on its own. But it sounds excellent and has plenty of power along with balanced headphone ports. I currently use it as both a dap and a Bluetooth receiver.

I used to have the original Zishan DSD with the AK4495 and volume knob, I really wish I had kept that!

Sep 11, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #7,746 of 8,158
I have the Z3 with AK4493 and the Z4.

The Z3 UI is very bare bones but it sounds great, I haven't had a single problem with it.

The Z4 UI is a little more modern but still not something that would sell any of these on its own. But it sounds excellent and has plenty of power along with balanced headphone ports. I currently use it as both a dap and a Bluetooth receiver.

I used to have the original Zishan DSD with the AK4495 and volume knob, I really wish I had kept that!

You're not the only one that has given exactly this kind of review to me about the Zishan DAPs. After buying my Hifi Walker H2 and enjoying it so much I thought it would be kinda fun to put together a small collection of basic non-Android DAPs. Aside from used DAPs that have caught my eye, the Zishan DAPs look like something I need to try. If they sound as good as the DACs used in them would suggest (which it seems they do) and have decent power levels (again it seems they do) then they're offering quite a bit for your money and that's exactly the point of these basic DAPs: high price to performance ratio.

Thanks for sharing your impressions/experience! I appreciate it for sure.

Sep 11, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #7,747 of 8,158
I picked up Hifiman HM-603 Slim on Aliexpress a few months ago. You might think I'm nuts for spending $100 on a ten year old dap, however you would be hard pressed to find another dap available at reasonable price using a multibit dac chip. TDA1543 used in HM-603 sounds very different than delta sigma chips of today's daps.

Naturally there are kinks involved in using a ten year old dap (radio style volume wheel, 40-50% battery left on my unit, etc), but the sound it produces is unmistakably different. Vocal rendition is very natural; different pace and depth of field to sound.

I like it so much that I ordered $50 leather case from Valentium.

Seller seems to still have a few HM-603 available in stock.
C$ 120.19 50%OFF | Second-hand HiFiMAN HM-603 music player
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNycC8G

20220911_221128.jpg

20220911_221059.jpg

[next to DSDs AK4499 wearing a cooling fan]

Sep 11, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #7,748 of 8,158
I picked up Hifiman HM-603 Slim on Aliexpress a few months ago. You might think I'm nuts for spending $100 on a ten year old dap, however you would be hard pressed to find another dap available at reasonable price using a multibit dac chip. TDA1543 used in HM-603 sounds very different than delta sigma chips of today's daps.

Naturally there are kinks involved in using a ten year old dap (radio style volume wheel, 40-50% battery left on my unit, etc), but the sound it produces is unmistakably different. Vocal rendition is very natural; different pace and depth of field to sound.

20220911_221128.jpg
20220911_221059.jpg

Wow thanks for the share. how is the battery life on this DAP?

Sep 11, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #7,749 of 8,158

I have actually been seeking out cool looking retro DAPs that can be had on the cheap. I just might need to keep an eye out for the HM-603.

P.S. I actually really enjoy click wheels!

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #7,750 of 8,158
Wow thanks for the share. how is the battery life on this DAP?
I get two (briefly three) bars out of five on full charge. That gives me ~3-4hrs playback depending on screen time, gain, and volume used.
I have actually been seeking out cool looking retro DAPs that can be had on the cheap. I just might need to keep an eye out for the HM-603.

P.S. I actually really enjoy click wheels!
You might be disappointed as it's not a click wheel. It's more like a radio tunner wheel.

Sep 12, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #7,751 of 8,158
My nintaus x10 screen has gone kaput ..is there ny way that can be repaired
Any help or input is appreciated

Thanks

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #7,752 of 8,158
You might be disappointed as it's not a click wheel. It's more like a radio tunner wheel.

Thanks for the info! I dig the looks so if one comes up cheap I'll probably snap it up even without a click wheel.

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #7,754 of 8,158
Both the Surfan and H2 are also $250AUDish, that's not exactly cheap. How I wish there were still the $30 Walnut like DAPs kicking about :sleepy:

XDuoo and Zishan have solid performing DAPs starting at like $55 USD if you're looking for good cheap options.

When did Walnut stop selling their $30 SD card wonder?

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #7,755 of 8,158
Both the Surfan and H2 are also $250AUDish, that's not exactly cheap. How I wish there were still the $30 Walnut like DAPs kicking about :sleepy:
They jump up and down in price... I paid about that in AUD.... but I was willing to pay that for non-touch screen, non-android, with purportedly good SQ.

HOWEVER, since then I've seen them for well under $200. Say, $150. $120 even.
It's a pain in the ass, but if you're willing to wait, maybe just keep an eye on those prices and pounce when the time is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back