Obscure Chinese DAPs
Feb 11, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #7,396 of 8,143
Thanks. I forgot to search in the most obvious place, Penon :wink: (I already ordered from them few times). These are exactly the adapters I was looking for.

Thanks for the very detailed information about impedance and distortion correlations. It will be extra useful when I will buy some new gear (if manufacturers declare these values). I will try this $10 fix via adapter and if it does not work, I can still gift the player to my brother, bundled with some headphones.
I'll head back now to my trusted Sony NW-A55

Have u tried the Mr Walkman firmware mod on the Sony NW A-55? I found the stock A-55 tuning meh, but with the FEv2 mod and a japan region unlock (to unlock the volume cap), it transforms into a much more pricey DAP. Superb soundstage and dynamics and layering. It doesn't hiss with sensitive IEMs too, just that the A-55 has a bit of a lack of power, so it can't drive more demanding gear/planars.

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #7,397 of 8,143
Thanks. I forgot to search in the most obvious place, Penon :wink: (I already ordered from them few times). These are exactly the adapters I was looking for.

Thanks for the very detailed information about impedance and distortion correlations. It will be extra useful when I will buy some new gear (if manufacturers declare these values). I will try this $10 fix via adapter and if it does not work, I can still gift the player to my brother, bundled with some headphones.
I'll head back now to my trusted Sony NW-A55
Yeah, it sucks that manufacturers hide this type of info, sucks even more that these reviews don't really say it, I understand reviewers are afraid to say anything negative about the products they review
I stopped looking at reviews about a year's ago, started to pay more attention to specs like how many volts/mw a source can push, what the output impedance is, weather or not a manufacturer has released any updates, frequency response.
I do really appreciate cqtek, he actually measures, something other reviewers won't and probably have no clue how to do.
He has helped me save a lot of money, I ended up with a better player then I would have if it wasn't for some of his reviews

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #7,398 of 8,143
Have u tried the Mr Walkman firmware mod on the Sony NW A-55?

I actually bought the NW A-55 after reading the great impressions from the head-fi Sony Walkman thread :) I just upgraded yesterday to FEv2 + J region and I'm blown away by the paring with KZ DQ6. I'm actually looking at the second hand market to see if I can score an older Walkman model (e.g. NW-35) to modify with Mr Walkman firmware and use it for my long runs :wink:

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #7,399 of 8,143
According to my measurements, the JWD JWM-115 has an output impedance of less than 1 Ohm. I don't understand why it came with a resistive connector. As you can see from my measurements, it doesn't have much power and only 32 volume steps and I can only use it with IEMS or normal earbuds, because of its low power. The resistive connector only makes things worse because it is a voltage divider, and gives less voltage to the headphones. Or for once I got the good unit, for me the sound is quite clean and I usually use it above 15.

I think it is a faulty unit, at 1 volume step it should give very little voltage....

Regardless of the sound, my measurements don't lie and from them you can tell that the output impedance is very low, do the math.

About the reviewers who receive units for review in exchange for our humble opinion, I don't hide and that's how it is. Not everything is wonderful. When I don't like something I usually talk to the manufacturer or shop and tell them my opinion, before publishing the review. In the many reviews I have written I have sometimes received bad products and a few other times, also faulty products. Measurements are useful to demonstrate these defects and a multimeter or a cheap oscilloscope like the one I have, a few resistors and some connectors, can help a lot...
They are simple measurements but they are real.

On the other hand, the ACMEE MF-01 does have a high output impedance and it is something I report in my review.

This review talks about the background noise... And also about its power...
https://www.audioreviews.org/jwd-jwm-115-dsd-review/

And like the other reviews I've read, I don't agree with the level of power the reviewers say it has. Connecting a headphone and saying it sounds loud is very relative. Any real measurement?

Does my unit have hiss? Uuuhmmm, I listen to music, not silence. But I must say I'm not very good at analysing silence, I don't have a very sensitive ear in that sense. So I mean I'm a bad analyzer silence and background noise.... Keep that in mind.
In this case, I haven't perceived that to be the case....

Edit: All this makes me think one thing.... Is it possible, as has happened in the past, that the other reviewers received a different unit, with more power but also amplifying the background noise problem...?
Nor do I want to doubt that the other reviewers do not have a good ear for calculating power....

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #7,400 of 8,143
Has there been any news on the I guess new DAP from Acmee? I have seen this picture on their webpage for a while but no news yet as far as I can tell...
It looks very interesting:
Acmee2.PNG

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #7,403 of 8,143
Has there been any news on the I guess new DAP from Acmee? I have seen this picture on their webpage for a while but no news yet as far as I can tell...
It looks very interesting:
Acmee2.PNG

I was told it would be launched in January, then it was said here that it would be launched in March. I think...

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #7,404 of 8,143
I was told it would be launched in January, then it was said here that it would be launched in March. I think...
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to hear more about it. Love my MF-01.

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #7,405 of 8,143
Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #7,406 of 8,143
Any of these daps that allow USB in (b, c, whatever) and toslink /optical out?
While bypassing internal dac(obviously as it would be digital to digital)

My goal is to have a dap for the gym, and also
A way to connect my laptop to my desktop dac (optical in only)

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #7,407 of 8,143
Hello boys and girls!
I have a question for you all: does the Zishan Z2 come "unmounted" and has to be soldered and assembled?
Or that comes already mounted and soldered (maybe I'll swap op-amps next but I'm a newbie in soldering and would prefer getting a ready-to-go unit)?

Plus: is there anything similar in that price range with better sound overall?
Under 30$. I already have a Benjie s8, so I have the smaller boy, wanted just a bit more as I don't need an expensive dap considering I will use it just a few times, but the Z2 seems like it's worth its cost, both regarding the chip, the sound and the battery (plus, it looks cool).

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #7,409 of 8,143
I'm looking to replace my Benjie T6 (I spilled on it and drowned the poor thing 😭) and I can't get thread searching to work. Are there any choices around $50? Alternatively how do I get the back cover off so I can see what damage I've done?
I found this with Google. Seems like the Benjie T6 is a rebranded AGPtek:
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/AgptekRocker

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #7,410 of 8,143
I found this with Google. Seems like the Benjie T6 is a rebranded AGPtek:
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/AgptekRocker
Actually the other way around. AGPTEK rebranded the Benjie. Regardless the pictures on the wiki are from a different version, with rounded edges. Mine is an earlier model with square edges. In fact initial reviews complain about the sharpness of the edges. But its been a tiny workhorse for me. Dropped and abused often but kept working until its Mountain Dew bath

Users who are viewing this thread

Back