Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jul 23, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #7,171 of 8,127
Can anybody recommend a budget DAP (under £100) that can be used with an amp and has a proper folder view?

Many Thanks

Jul 24, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #7,173 of 8,127
Shanling m0? Can be found for under £100 in uk atm.
Thanks - this lead me to the Fiio M6 which looks useful as it Android based.

Question is do I need a DAP.....

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #7,174 of 8,127
Thanks - this lead me to the Fiio M6 which looks useful as it Android based.

Question is do I need a DAP.....

I find you might get cheap and good sound just by adding a USB C dongle DAC/AMP (like say the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro) to a smartphone, more cost effective than buying a DAP, but DAPs may be useful in a few situations:
1) If u have lots of lossless files and don't have enough memory on your phone.
2) If u need to save the phone battery life.

For these reasons, I carry a DAP about, even though it is an additional device, YMMV.

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #7,176 of 8,127
A simple upgrade to my good set F.Audio FA3+ NiceHCK M6... IEM's tips! I tried another pair, that seals better the ear canal, and got more deep bass. Details that makes difference.

I wonder if u have tried 3rd party BGVP filters with the NiceHCK M6?

It changes the M6 to a totally different beast. I thought the original 3 tuning filters provided were a bit gimmicky, and the M6's stock tuning's midbass was too bloated for me (this is coming from a basshead). With the BGVP filters for a few bucks, it tames the midbass and gives the mids/trebles much room to breathe, converting it to a more "audiophile" tuning.

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #7,177 of 8,127
I wonder if u have tried 3rd party BGVP filters with the NiceHCK M6?

It changes the M6 to a totally different beast. I thought the original 3 tuning filters provided were a bit gimmicky, and the M6's stock tuning's midbass was too bloated for me (this is coming from a basshead). With the BGVP filters for a few bucks, it tames the midbass and gives the mids/trebles much room to breathe, converting it to a more "audiophile" tuning.
I found same things,on M6, 3 filter system does not give meaningful changes and bloaty midbass. No I tamed midbass with equalizer, the new tips revealed some dB in lower bass that previous tips let escape thru an imperfect sealing. Now M6 sounds great, well coupled with F.Audio FA3

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #7,179 of 8,127
Hi guys - hope you're all doing well.
I am looking to buy a budget DAP, I figured I'll ask in this thread, instead of opening a new thread.

Here's what I am looking to have in the DAP (in no particular order, but ideally all must be present):
- Must support at least the following formats: MP3, AAC, FLAC, WAV, APE. The other formats are considered nice bonus if supported.
- Must have screen, at least to look at songs titles, album, and artist. No need for fancy album artwork.
- Must be compatible with an amp, I have in mind to use my NX1s, which I have fixed on low gain mode. High output impedance should be no problem since it's driving thousands of Ohm impedance.
- I’d highly appreciate flat frequency response
- Reasonably stable firmware, at least not models that are known for being buggy.

I've been looking at the following, and these should give an idea of the price range I'm comfortable with (at this time)
- xDuoo X2 - I like that it has a screen, push buttons, great form factor, but I read the output is rather high, I've read some noted excess noise when paired with an amp?
- Benjie S5 - Looks like a classic choice, I think it fulfills my requirements above.
- Benjie T6 - Similar to S5, plus gapless playback which I appreciate, for listening to Pink Floyd :ksc75smile:

Maybe I just need to save up some money and go with Zishan Z3 Pro?

Feel free to give your recommendations too. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks a lot.

Hi guys, an update after my question, I end up with a Zishan Z3 Pro! Just got it a few days ago. It's so tiny, much smaller than what I imagined after looking at some photos and reviews. Initial impressions are good, and it looks nice stacked to the NX1s. I changed my NX1s to fix it on high gain mode, and I feel the two pairs really well.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #7,181 of 8,127
How does FA3 sound? Is it still a bright sounding DAP?
It tends to be bright because of bass roll-off, but I prefer to consider the entire set dap+earphones (also an aftermarket cable can improve the sound, even if in a lesser way)
In my case, for example:
FA3+ Ue900s (4BA) = Bright, few bass
FA3+NiceHCK M6 (2DD+4BA) = Balanced sound, better! (with EQ, lowered mid-bass 3dB)

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #7,182 of 8,127
It tends to be bright because of bass roll-off, but I prefer to consider the entire set dap+earphones (also an aftermarket cable can improve the sound, even if in a lesser way)
In my case, for example:
FA3+ Ue900s (4BA) = Bright, few bass
FA3+NiceHCK M6 (2DD+4BA) = Balanced sound, better! (with EQ, lowered mid-bass 3dB)

Thx mate...
I'm looking for a bright sounding DAP. Have you ever compare FA3 with something like shanling m5s or QP1R? Which one is the most bright DAP?

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #7,184 of 8,127
Thx mate...
I'm looking for a bright sounding DAP. Have you ever compare FA3 with something like shanling m5s or QP1R? Which one is the most bright DAP?
No I don't know the other DAPs, you may find reviews about them here.
But, in average, I think the earphones makes bigger difference than DAPs, I have also NiceHCK Nx7 iems (2DD, 4BA, 1Piezo tweeter) and...
FA3+Nx7 = balanced bass, but too bright and unnatural sounding
Aigo Z6pro+Nx7= a bit warmer and more bass, but still unnatural sounding
It's about finding the right set, then there is chance to equalize. I am not a big fan of equalizer, small changes are ok, then I would not use a multi-MSEB equalizer to try adjust the Nx7, instead I change the earphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back