Obscure Chinese DAPs
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #7,201 of 8,143
Hi friends, the Hidizs AP60 II DAP seems to be on a flash sale on aliexpress at $63 USD after coupons, is that a good deal? I think it was released in 2017/2018, so is it still competitive against some recent releases? TIA!!

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #7,202 of 8,143
1.8 version for FA3 released at 06/08/2020. You can update FA3 sooner in this link https://pan.baidu.com/s/1c2Ve2uMnWtJhg2Y1YFF0Sw#list/path=/寻声产品固件下载/FA3(饭盒3代)
Password: 3e62
This link from F Audio for all their DAPs firmwares, But needs Baidu account to download
Untitled.jpg

How long have you used FA3? Honestly, hardware is the most worrisome not firmware, especially the wheel
Thx, I looked at baidu already and yes, need account that seem difficult to get by people.not living in China... I got the firmware 1.8 on player ru, that is a kind of Russian head-fi, somebody (Chinese?) make it available there.
Maybe the 1.8 is the last update for FA3, having named the fw for FA3S 1 9 and 2.0...?
It would not makes much sense to produce two same dap with only different dac, with the newer FA3S also being cheaper by about 50$, not little, despite having double CS instead single AKm.
I have FA3 since 5-6 months, hardware is not bad, the wheel not so useful but sometimes I turn it, my most worrysome are software crashes that (not often luckily!) occurs also with latest fw 1.8

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #7,203 of 8,143
Hi friends, the Hidizs AP60 II DAP seems to be on a flash sale on aliexpress at $63 USD after coupons, is that a good deal? I think it was released in 2017/2018, so is it still competitive against some recent releases? TIA!!
It's a good little player, but that's only $30 cheaper than some more modern devices.

Sep 11, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #7,204 of 8,143
It's a good little player, but that's only $30 cheaper than some more modern devices.

Thanks. How does it compare to your Hidizs AP80 and Shanling Q1?

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #7,205 of 8,143
Thanks. How does it compare to your Hidizs AP80 and Shanling Q1?
It sounds substantially the same to me (I have high frequency hearing loss, so your mileage may vary), but the interface is a bit more sluggish. Obviously, there's no touch screen on the AP60II, so the buttons are more important, and scrolling a long list takes quite a while (no acceleration on long scrolls). No Bluetooth, so wired headphones only. There's nothing wrong with the device, and it's sturdy enough for daily use without being paranoid about breaking it (particularly in the leather case). I used it as my daily device before getting the AP80.

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #7,206 of 8,143
It sounds substantially the same to me (I have high frequency hearing loss, so your mileage may vary), but the interface is a bit more sluggish. Obviously, there's no touch screen on the AP60II, so the buttons are more important, and scrolling a long list takes quite a while (no acceleration on long scrolls). No Bluetooth, so wired headphones only. There's nothing wrong with the device, and it's sturdy enough for daily use without being paranoid about breaking it (particularly in the leather case). I used it as my daily device before getting the AP80.

Thanks friend, great info.

I was under the impression that there was a 2 way bluetooth in the AP60 II. Does it hiss with highly sensitive IEMs?

Sep 11, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #7,207 of 8,143
Thanks friend, great info.

I was under the impression that there was a 2 way bluetooth in the AP60 II. Does it hiss with highly sensitive IEMs?
You are correct. I haven't used the AP60II in so long, I'd forgotten. It does have BT. I don't carry a smartphone, so the 2-way Bluetooth options are things I don't track. I do enjoy using a nice set of noise-cancelling headphones over BT, though.

I don't remember a hiss, but I also never dropped the cash on highly sensitive IEMs. My best are KZ ZSX - decent, but not likely to expose flaws.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #7,208 of 8,143
two questions

1. If you only could keep one of the 4 DAPs below which would it be and why?
2. What have you found as the best IEM/Headphone pairing for each device and why?

The DAPs are:

1. Zishan DSD
2. ZIKU X9
3. ACMEE MF-01
4. Tempotec V1A

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #7,209 of 8,143
F.Audio FA3. I gave trust to them having bought already the S1, XS 01 and XS 03. Only the XS 01 was not good, sounds well but too many drawbacks. So I had chance to try their flagship for 160€ on AliExpress, with discount and coupon.

Packaging - simple, a quite big black cardboard box with white writing, "F.Audio exporing moving sound", the same that appears on dap screen when turn on off. Inside, the dap and the usb-c cable. Same as XS 03.

Construction - Well built and finished medium sized, stay well in pocket even not being unforgettable (160g weight)
On front side there is a 2,4 inch screen with fixed lighting average quality overall, five buttons for on/off, play/pause, prev/next, back, and a rubberized jerkywheel. On top side, two 3.5mm outputs, one SE/line out, one balanced. Bottom side, a 2.5mm balanced output, reset pinhole
and usb-c socket. Left side, nothing. Right side, volume +/- and microSD slot. Buttons have nice feedback, the wheel is so so.

UI - To power on must press button quite long, then boot is quite fast. When power on, it ask "last played yes/no". Is resume play, and must answer yes within few seconds otherwise it goes in main menu and lose the resume! (by default is no). Navigation is quite easy thru FLODER view (also in XS 03 there is this typo lol) The main menu shows from top:
1) Music, it browse in now playing screen, displaying a small album cover (if any, otherwise there is a 70s disco style image named F.Audio) track info, file info (mp3 flac etc, bitrate, sampling frequency)
2) Classification, is album artist genre etc, and create playlist. But here the tracks are listed alphabetically even if they are numbered, so I never use it.
3) Favourite, the playlist created.
4) Fold... ops FLODER view :)), where tracks are listed correctly numbered.
5) Equalizer, 7 band. Some presets, one custom and HiFi setting (zero all)
6) Settings. Some usual, auto off, screen off timer, plus l-r balance, digital filter (ak4497 dac, I cannot hear difference among the six settings) and set up for wheel and back button.
In now playing, the on/off button open menu for play mode (repeat shuffle etc)

File handling - Almost all usual formats are played. The DSD is played flawlessly, 64, 128 and 256. As told before, resume play yes, but no gapless play. No cuts at begin/end of tracks (I hate cuts, as it happen on Aigo Z6pro). Rew/ff is fast enough, faster and smoother in flac or wav than mp3. If rew/ff is made further the begin/end of track It will continue onto previous/next track. With mp3, rew onto previous track makes the player freeze for about 15 seconds when release, then restart (small issue)
Changing tracks and play/pause produces very light clicks, forgettable. Files speed transfer from PC to dap is about 8-10 Mb/s, not very fast.

Sound - As previously checked by @cqtek, the FA3 has a noticeably bass roll-off. So it depends of which phone is linked to, I think neutral ones are not the best. With Logitech ue900s (4BA) it sounds nice, but bass lacks impact and depht, too light. The ue900s with Z6pro, that I think have no bass roll off, have good bass. I found a great pairing with bassy iem like NiceHCK M6 (1dual DD, 4BA), that is not perfect, though, upper bass is a bit too thumping covering the lower bass. I applied EQ, lowering 80hz -2dB and 200hz -3dB. Result, deep punchy articulated bass, clear natural mids and smooth detailed highs. Full, complete sound. Similar to XS 03 (with M6) with a step up in resolution, detail, clarity with right warmth, naturality. I think it worths the higher cost compared to Xs-03. The M6 with Z6pro have too much bass for my taste even I like bass! The M6 are connected to FA3 with balanced 3.5mm occ cable, and they are very comfortable for long listenings.

The background noise is... zero. The most silent dap I ever had (and also the most expensive...)
The output power is very high.

I tried briefly other 2 iem I have: CCA C12 (1DD, 5BA) balanced output. Similar bass, but without EQ, mids-highs brighter and detailed but a bit lesser warm, natural and smooth. I prefer the M6, but C12 are good too, comfortable (even a bit lesser, the M6 seem unbeatable in confort for me) and they cost one third than M6.
NiceHCK Nx7 (1 dual DD, 4BA, 1Piezo) in SE output. Good bass no-EQ but innatural mids, highs piercing and unrefined. Average comfort. How did NiceHCK made two iems so different at similar price?

Battery life is about 7 hours 30 minutes, sufficient, not great. Tested in continuous play, volume 50/100 (above average I listen to) screen off, balanced output. I read somewhere that single-ended output would last longer, maybe I try but I want use always balanced, has bit better quality overall as I checked in XS 03 before.
Battery is 4000mAh, but the amplifier is in Class A, that consume more power, and balanced output has about 60mW more power than SE, the device heats up pretty well when playing.

Pros : nice build, SQ (with bassy earphones), no background noise, easy to use.

Cons: bass roll-off, battery life not great, no gapless play.

Votes for this set, FA3 + M6, balanced output:
Bass 8 Punchy and deep (Without EQ 7, lesser defined upper bass)
Mids 9 great naturality, smoothness, warmth. But also detailed.
Treble 8,5 Natural, extended, detailed, smooth, never fatiguing.
Soundstage 9 Wide, nice 3D feeling, good separation.
Dynamics 7 A bit subdued to warmth and smoothness. More cuddling than shaking, but not boring at all.
IMG_20200716_191832.jpg
Added a protection for the connector, made of plastic and metal, plus some adhesive rubber on sides and bottom sides. They covers the SE output and the 2.5 bal output that I don't use, and the SD card slot. 64 gb enough for me. And, for me, they makes the player look better!
Hello, a short question: can it directly play ISO rips of a SACD or do I need to convert them to DSF/DFF files? Thanks!

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #7,211 of 8,143
two questions

1. If you only could keep one of the 4 DAPs below which would it be and why?
2. What have you found as the best IEM/Headphone pairing for each device and why?

The DAPs are:

1. Zishan DSD
2. ZIKU X9
3. ACMEE MF-01
4. Tempotec V1A

If I really had to the tempotec I suppose, but I'm proceeding by elimination more than choice :

Zishan best sound but not made for sensitive iems so not versatile.

Ziklon x9 horrible hiss, poor sound, quality, software, everything.

Acmee micro usb, in 2020 no thx

Tempotec V1A seems to be the most versatile, never heard it, apparently it's fine but won't blow anyone away.

I can vouch for the fiio m3 pro tho, a bit in the same spirit, very versatile and usb-c dac etc. and while not "blown away" I'm super impressed.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #7,212 of 8,143
I don't know, I don't have the m9 but I been burned by fiio twice, I wouldn't rec any fiio products, no customer service, no updates, and they are overpriced, ibasso is a bit overpriced too but like a said, ibasso takes care of there devices, regular updates come often and I am sure the will fix any bugs, fiio puts most of there efforts into marketing, with hardly any updates, if you get a problem with a fiio, yours stuck with it

So it's up to you, do you want a product that will be updated quickly and often, or do you want a company that might give you a couple updates then drop support the next year
I haven't heard the m9 but the dx120 is really good
And I haven't been disappointed by ibasso yet

How long do you think the ibasso dx120 could last? Does it has the same reliability as the Sony Walkman?

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #7,213 of 8,143
Received my DSD single 4497, it's a nice player, only down side is that it has no stereo line-out. The build in lm4562 doesn't sound as good as my Cypher Labs at least with my AKG Q701. Seems that I need to do some OPA rolling but don't know if there is a better sounding alternative to the lm4562 that can drive 600ohm and fit into the DSD. Anyone got a suggestion?
Alternatively a transformer balanced to unbalanced should be possible. As I have no idea about it can someone advice what impendances to use? How much will it affect the sound?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #7,214 of 8,143
How long do you think the ibasso dx120 could last? Does it has the same reliability as the Sony Walkman?
I don't own the dx120, but I have the dx50 and had the dx90. They last a very long time, and unlike fiio ibasso has awesome customer service, and the update there devices very often and for many years, fiio barely updates more then a couple times for a device and there customer service is basically non existing, I sent 7 emails to them and never got a reply, ibasso on the other hand, is very involved, I was able to talk to customer representatives very easily and they are very very helpful. Fiio spends a very large amount on marketing so every season we get a ton of adds for fiio, but ibasso seems to spend a lot more on actual customer care and in making a good product. I wouldn't recommend fiio to anyone after buying a fiio player, having troubles with it, I got no help from the company, and even though fiio released a statement that said there would be an update (I was stupid enough to beleive) then they dropped all support and released a replacement player, when I finally talk to a rep, they said player was too old, there will be no updates, and recommend I try newer fiio (the player was less then a year old) so I sold it, bough a 6 year old ibasso dx50, not only did it have many updates, but when I was having a screen issues a customer representative got in contact with me (they are really involved) and helped me solve my issues with a player that they didn't even produce anymore, so yes, any ibasso product will no doubt outlast any fiio product, it will be better built then any fiio product, and fiio doesn't maintain there products, they have a bad history with updates and customer service is a joke with fiio, but ibasso will update very often and for many many years, and there customer reps will help you with any issues

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #7,215 of 8,143
I don't own the dx120, but I have the dx50 and had the dx90. They last a very long time, and unlike fiio ibasso has awesome customer service, and the update there devices very often and for many years, fiio barely updates more then a couple times for a device and there customer service is basically non existing, I sent 7 emails to them and never got a reply, ibasso on the other hand, is very involved, I was able to talk to customer representatives very easily and they are very very helpful. Fiio spends a very large amount on marketing so every season we get a ton of adds for fiio, but ibasso seems to spend a lot more on actual customer care and in making a good product. I wouldn't recommend fiio to anyone after buying a fiio player, having troubles with it, I got no help from the company, and even though fiio released a statement that said there would be an update (I was stupid enough to beleive) then they dropped all support and released a replacement player, when I finally talk to a rep, they said player was too old, there will be no updates, and recommend I try newer fiio (the player was less then a year old) so I sold it, bough a 6 year old ibasso dx50, not only did it have many updates, but when I was having a screen issues a customer representative got in contact with me (they are really involved) and helped me solve my issues with a player that they didn't even produce anymore, so yes, any ibasso product will no doubt outlast any fiio product, it will be better built then any fiio product, and fiio doesn't maintain there products, they have a bad history with updates and customer service is a joke with fiio, but ibasso will update very often and for many many years, and there customer reps will help you with any issues
It's good to know the company you purchased from would back you up in case anything happens. My problem here is I want to purchase a device reliable enough to spend some good amount of time with mechanical or software issues to happen...

I travel a lot, I'm not even at home right now. I'm in Central America. For me, the most appealing features a DAP could have is sound quality, software a hardware reliability, build quality. Nothing more. I don't need internet and bluetooth is acceptable, although I don't need it.

Can you suggest me some DAPs with those features? Apparently we're getting into a point we're most DAPs are getting closer and closer to smartphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back