Obscure Chinese DAPs
Oct 12, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #7,231 of 8,123
I've been thinking of upgrading my iPod Nano 7G since it's gonna run out of space and the battery is awful. I'd like to have a screen still, expandable microSD, and bluetooth. I'm not too picky asides from that, I only use 16-40 ohm earbuds or IEMs usually. Any tips on which ones I should keep an eye out for, maybe during 11/11? I'm guessing I can get those features for under $100 USD?

I would recommend the Shanling Q1.
Small, good UI, has 2 way bluetooth, WIFI, and 20+ hour battery life. Expandable micro SD. touch screen.
Can drive highly sensitive IEMs to quite demanding headphones, no hiss at all, good sound quality, though there's a slight subbass roll off.

I like that Shanling keeps releasing patches months to years even after release (unlike certain other brands that just go and sell a new product and forget about patching). In fact, Shanling's last patch provided WIFI support for the Q1.

I bought mine at $91 USD during the march aliexpress sales after coupons, I wouldn't mind buying a spare as a standby if it is very cheap on 11/11.

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #7,232 of 8,123
Oct 13, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #7,233 of 8,123
Oct 13, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #7,234 of 8,123
Oct 13, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #7,235 of 8,123
Oct 14, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #7,237 of 8,123
Oct 16, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #7,238 of 8,123
Works perfectly with FAT32, I use a 128GB card without problems. But remember you can only use one folder level!
Acmee.cn just released a new firmware update, 2.1.6A, that addresses the sub-folder issue. It works, but it isn't what I was expecting. Subfolders are no longer skipped, but it just displays the albums in one flattened list - where each sub-folder is alphabetically in the Music List screen, you'll see the albums in that subfolder listed. You don't see the sub-folder name, and you can't navigate in to the sub-folders.

I never worried too much about the sub-folder issue - I make a special SD card for this player anyway, with super-short folder and filenames to suit the tiny screen and minimize the sideways scrolling. I'm more interested in the other addition to 2.1.6 - little visualizations of what the several available digital filter choices look like. Kind of cool!

Also, in case you didn't see it - the update before this one added an option to choose from a few different read speeds for the SD card scan - probably to address people's issues there. I never had that problem myself - using a SanDisk 128 GB card, formatted ExFAT. I use a Windows FAT-sort utility to make everything appear in alphabetical order in the Music List screen. Still love this player!

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #7,239 of 8,123
Acmee.cn just released a new firmware update, 2.1.6A, that addresses the sub-folder issue. It works, but it isn't what I was expecting. Subfolders are no longer skipped, but it just displays the albums in one flattened list - where each sub-folder is alphabetically in the Music List screen, you'll see the albums in that subfolder listed. You don't see the sub-folder name, and you can't navigate in to the sub-folders.

I never worried too much about the sub-folder issue - I make a special SD card for this player anyway, with super-short folder and filenames to suit the tiny screen and minimize the sideways scrolling. I'm more interested in the other addition to 2.1.6 - little visualizations of what the several available digital filter choices look like. Kind of cool!

Also, in case you didn't see it - the update before this one added an option to choose from a few different read speeds for the SD card scan - probably to address people's issues there. I never had that problem myself - using a SanDisk 128 GB card, formatted ExFAT. I use a Windows FAT-sort utility to make everything appear in alphabetical order in the Music List screen. Still love this player!

My goodness!
I just tried it and I don't like the implementation at all.
The fact that you only see the secondary folders instead of the primary ones, makes you lose all the nesting work...
I will continue with my traditional method:

%albumartist%\(%year%) %track% - %album% - %title%

Thank you very much for letting us know.

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #7,240 of 8,123
I'm looking for a DAP for around $50-55, I only see two options, Fiio M3K and JWD JWM 115. I'll buy from Aliexpress. not looking for external amp/dac.
anyone have both of these and can compare sound quality or any other recommendation.
thanks

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #7,242 of 8,123
I'm looking for a DAP for around $50-55, I only see two options, Fiio M3K and JWD JWM 115. I'll buy from Aliexpress. not looking for external amp/dac.
anyone have both of these and can compare sound quality or any other recommendation.
thanks
If you add few more $ you can get Tempotec V1A on 11.11 sale. In my opinion amazing little thing for the price 👍

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #7,243 of 8,123
Tempotec V1A will still be out of my budget on 11.11. If I could increase my budget I'd go for Fiio M3Pro probably.
One seller on Aliexpress selling M3K for $48 and I thinks it's a good price but seller is new and don't have any feedback but I'm sure M3K will be around $50 on 11.11 on other stores as well.
I wish anyone could tell me the difference between M3k and JWM 115 sound quality, otherwise I'd go for M3K.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #7,244 of 8,123
Tempotec V1A will still be out of my budget on 11.11. If I could increase my budget I'd go for Fiio M3Pro probably.
One seller on Aliexpress selling M3K for $48 and I thinks it's a good price but seller is new and don't have any feedback but I'm sure M3K will be around $50 on 11.11 on other stores as well.
I wish anyone could tell me the difference between M3k and JWM 115 sound quality, otherwise I'd go for M3K.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
It is a new official Fiio reseller on Ali, Fiio themselves advertised him on Head-fi, so you are all good buying from them :) As for the dap sorry, I have no Idea about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back