Obscure Chinese DAPs
Sep 18, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #6,481 of 8,133
Yea zune players were very very good, but in the end, the majority of people didn't want a anything that good, they prefer ipod touch, nano and classic......... The power of marketing, it wasn't cool to own a zune

i had one a while ago,bought from ebay but it wouldnt work with windows 10 had to resell it at a cheaper price.heard so much about them shame i couldnt keep it

Sep 18, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #6,482 of 8,133
so i got my ziku x9 - (40$) small review:

- Small stage,
- strong background noise,
- Increasing or lowering a volume requires returning to the song page

+good detail of musical instruments
+strong battery

i prefer the ESS dac that is more warm

I have been using the Ziku X9 for a week and it is not too bad IMHO. The 20 hour battery life is insane. It sounds better than my lousy android phone for sure.

Are u using the stock firmware or u updated it?
As for background noise, I find that with low impedance high sensitive IEMs, I get a bit of hiss with it, but generally with IEMs > 30 ohms impedance I don't get any hiss.

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #6,483 of 8,133
i had one a while ago,bought from ebay but it wouldn't work with windows 10 had to resell it at a cheaper price.heard so much about them shame i couldnt keep it

I was amazed it still worked on my old windows 7 upgraded to windows 10 HP500 i3 even still brings up the old zune interface

I have a Tempotec V1A coming this month with the dual card slots which I hope to load two 256Gb cards with
Looks about the same size if not bigger than the zune even the Bengie T6 is thicker than the zuneHD.
Seems like something similar to the Zune as a "do all" device. WIth the exception that the zuneHD could play video and came with it's own desktop stand like the old iPod classics did.

Also upgrading to a 512Gb/1T card in my CT-10 so I can store more Qobuz downloaded Hires tunes for listening offline on that thing

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #6,485 of 8,133
I have been using the Ziku X9 for a week and it is not too bad IMHO. The 20 hour battery life is insane. It sounds better than my lousy android phone for sure.

Are u using the stock firmware or u updated it?
As for background noise, I find that with low impedance high sensitive IEMs, I get a bit of hiss with it, but generally with IEMs > 30 ohms impedance I don't get any hiss.

hey, I couldn't update. plz send link and explanation please?

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #6,486 of 8,133
So is it as good as I'm hoping it will be?
Excellent sound?
Usable/bug free UI?
Decent battery life (10hrs +)?
I still haven't finished working or slept proper unfortunately. I'll be working to the very last moment before catching my flight.

I did run a battery test though. It's not spectacular but it is to be expected by such a small device. At 135 out of 140 volume level it lasted for 7 hours with standard flac files. At the same volume it lasted like 4.5 hours playing hi-res 24-bit files.

Now, that's a scenario where you are running a bit more demanding iems at about max volume. I'm not sure whether going to half the volume with more sensitive iems will achieve the suggested playback hours, which are double that. I think I and most users will be using it in the 80-120 range, so probably something like 10-11 hours for 16-bit flac and 6-7 hours for hi-res files.

It's not bad but if you're coming from sony it is a big hit. I am still to evaluate its sound but I think I still might grab one of the new walkmans for some peace of mind when traveling. Also the transfer speed through the proprietary connector is pretty low. In comparison the sony's WM-port is 4 times faster (but sony is faster than my usb-c devices too though _ I wonder how fast will be the new usb-c walkmans)

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #6,487 of 8,133
I still haven't finished working or slept proper unfortunately. I'll be working to the very last moment before catching my flight.

I did run a battery test though. It's not spectacular but it is to be expected by such a small device. At 135 out of 140 volume level it lasted for 7 hours with standard flac files. At the same volume it lasted like 4.5 hours playing hi-res 24-bit files.

Now, that's a scenario where you are running a bit more demanding iems at about max volume. I'm not sure whether going to half the volume with more sensitive iems will achieve the suggested playback hours, which are double that. I think I and most users will be using it in the 80-120 range, so probably something like 10-11 hours for 16-bit flac and 6-7 hours for hi-res files.

It's not bad but if you're coming from sony it is a big hit. I am still to evaluate its sound but I think I still might grab one of the new walkmans for some peace of mind when traveling. Also the transfer speed through the proprietary connector is pretty low. In comparison the sony's WM-port is 4 times faster (but sony is faster than my usb-c devices too though _ I wonder how fast will be the new usb-c walkmans)

Thanks for the info.

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #6,488 of 8,133
hey, I couldn't update. plz send link and explanation please?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ziku-hd-x9.23552/reviews

Hi, under this excellent review by another headfier, there is a section "firmware update".
Apparently u just copy the file onto SD card and run update in the Ziku (under settings).

But importantly, I seen reviews on this thread where the volume becomes much louder after firmware update, so maybe if u are using sensitive low impedanace IEMs, better to leave it as stock firmware (which is what I'm using).
Maybe if u have headphones that need a lot of juice, it might be worth it to update firmware

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #6,490 of 8,133
Was rereading past posts in this thread and noticed you also have a Tempotec V1. Can you compare its SQ with MF01 ?
I have the V1 but not the V1A which is the player DAP. The V1 is only a transport and Bluetooth throw. Somebody her must have the V1A. The Acmee sounds like a bit more controlled Zishan DSD. Open and earthy sounding (analog). Good bass presence underneath. Still has a few problems, like not playing anything above 24/96 and noise in between and/or minor cut off on some songs whilst forwarding. So, it’s not a recommendation from me yet. But getting closer.

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #6,492 of 8,133
ACMEE MF-01 is very high on my wishlist if the firmware gets sorted, the line out and Class-A preamp makes it ideal to plug on the HiFi system of my father when I visit him for example, or for moving around my house with earphones, not necessarily as a travel device. It has a lot of advantages in this price class as far as I can see, staying tuned thanks for the feedback so far.

Sep 23, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #6,493 of 8,133
Hello friends!

Can i ask what the difference is between the F.Audio XS-02 and XS-03? Is the XS-03 better in all aspects or not?

There is very little to none information about these two devices. It seems like the 02 is end of life and the 03 is the new replacement?
It seems that XS-02 has 2,5mm BAL or is it 3,5mm BAL? I cant find any info on this on the XS-03 but judging from the images on aliexpress etc it seems to have two 3,5mm jacks? No BAL?

Im not sure i will change the AMPs that seems to be possible so thats not so important for me, but if i can i would not say no to the option in the future. How about that on the XS-03? I read that the XS-02 have two variants one that can change the AMPs and one that is solderd on with no sockets for easy swap.

Im looking for a DAP with good SQ and i have been looking at the Lotoo PAW 5000 MKII for quite some time now but the 6h battery grinds my gears a bit... The ACMEE MF-01 seems good but to early to tell and the display is probaby as fun as my Sansa Clip+ display (not so much).

All pointers and recommendations are super welcome! Does F.Audio have a official website?

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #6,495 of 8,133
Hello friends!

Can i ask what the difference is between the F.Audio XS-02 and XS-03? Is the XS-03 better in all aspects or not?

There is very little to none information about these two devices. It seems like the 02 is end of life and the 03 is the new replacement?
It seems that XS-02 has 2,5mm BAL or is it 3,5mm BAL? I cant find any info on this on the XS-03 but judging from the images on aliexpress etc it seems to have two 3,5mm jacks? No BAL?

Im not sure i will change the AMPs that seems to be possible so thats not so important for me, but if i can i would not say no to the option in the future. How about that on the XS-03? I read that the XS-02 have two variants one that can change the AMPs and one that is solderd on with no sockets for easy swap.

Im looking for a DAP with good SQ and i have been looking at the Lotoo PAW 5000 MKII for quite some time now but the 6h battery grinds my gears a bit... The ACMEE MF-01 seems good but to early to tell and the display is probaby as fun as my Sansa Clip+ display (not so much).

All pointers and recommendations are super welcome! Does F.Audio have a official website?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back