Obscure Chinese DAPs
Sep 12, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #6,451 of 8,152
Hi, everyone, this is my first posting to the forum.

I have both the FAudio XS-03 and ACMEE MF-01. I would like to share some of my thoughts.

The control of both DAP are quite similar, XS-03 uses 7 buttons with the Up and Down buttons for navigation and adjust of volume, the MF-01 used 5 buttons and one knob, and the knob is also for navigation and adjust of volume. MF-01 has a neat design, better workmanship and is smaller.

UI of both DAP are rudimentary. XS-03 supports a comprehensive file types while MF-01 supports only a few (I miss the support of M4A), XS-03 supports multi-level folders while MF-01 single level. Folders in MF-01 are not sorted according to alphabetical order but order of writing to the TF card. XS-03 supports album arts and has color display while MF-01 does not support album art and has no color display. XS-03 uses dual 4493 while MF-01 a single 4490 chip.

The sound of XS-03 is fuller, and has both 3.5 SE and balanced output. XF-01 has only 3.5 single-end output, and the sound is airy, with good instrument separation and better treble. I think it is a wonder a single 4490 can give such a sound quality. The volume output of both machines is similar, XS-03 in 100 steps and MF-01 in 99 steps. I usually use a volume of 28 to 50 depending on track and the IEM.

In terms of battery life, XS-03 lasts longer, about 7-8 hours, while MF-01 only 5 hours. Both can be used as USBDAC, but I have no success with XS-03.

I have the XS-03 for more than 2 months and the MF-01 a month. The FW of XS-03 has some bugs: sometimes the music from M4A files becomes garbled, or the music is said to be playing but there is no output to the IEM. This can be solved by pressing of the Reset button. The operation of MF-01 is stable.

I bought them through TaoBao, XS-03 at RMB 688 and MF-01 at RMB 559 (not counting the 5% discount I got from the seller) which is roughly US$98 and 80. I think both have very good cost to performance ratio.

ACMEE seems to be a very enterprising company. You can see from their webpage that they continue to improve the FW. The recent update has eliminated the pop sound when changing track by pressing the Previous or Next button. The company gave same-day reply to my enquiry and use of English is okay. Reply from the seller of XS-03 is also okay but I communicated with them using Chinese through TaoBao.

I am sorry I do not know how to post the photograph.
Have you tried the MF-01 with a high impendance gear? The specs say they can drive up to 300Ω without needing an amp.

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #6,452 of 8,152
AFAIK integrated DACs are designed mostly for smartphone use nowadays.
You are claiming that dedicated Amp doesn't add sound coloration, that's ridiculous, if you understood how DAPs work you wouldn't say that, two DAPs you mentioned use the same DAC but did you look at the Amp section? That's where the sound difference is coming from, you compare integrated DAC with standalone DAC, you can't do that, makes no sense.
I'm not claiming that but it's not just about the amp section - it's about how everything is implemented on the circuit board. I'm not talking about coloration, I'm talking about the overall sound quality of two DAPs that have the same DAC and pretty much the same output power.

Also, these are all dedicated DACs just one has built-in amp section. Otherwise, the CS43131 is literally the same DAC as the CS43198 used in the new ibasso dx160 and hiby r5. And just because the CS43131 has less power and doesn't push few hundred mW per channel doesn't suddenly make it a bad or inferior DAC. But don't worry I'll compare it to the xduoo x10 which has AK4490 inside, 240mw output power and 2 SDcard slots (hey, I guess the x10 covers your criteria for a "TOTL" DAP). I don't see why we should continue this discussion further. I should be getting it Tuesday and then I'll now how it fares.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #6,453 of 8,152
I'm not claiming that but it's not just about the amp section - it's about how everything is implemented on the circuit board. I'm not talking about coloration, I'm talking about the overall sound quality of two DAPs that have the same DAC and pretty much the same output power.

Also, these are all dedicated DACs just one has built-in amp section. Otherwise, the CS43131 is literally the same DAC as the CS43198 used in the new ibasso dx160 and hiby r5. And just because the CS43131 has less power and doesn't push few hundred mW per channel doesn't suddenly make it a bad or inferior DAC. But don't worry I'll compare it to the xduoo x10 which has AK4490 inside, 240mw output power and 2 SDcard slots (hey, I guess the x10 covers your criteria for a "TOTL" DAP). I don't see why we should continue this discussion further. I should be getting it Tuesday and then I'll now how it fares.
Can't wait for your impressions, have a good day sir.

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #6,454 of 8,152
Have you tried the MF-01 with a high impendance gear? The specs say they can drive up to 300Ω without needing an amp.

I have to borrow a Zen in order to reply to your question. If I use the Asura of 150 ohm for listening, I have to turn up the volume to 50. I also have a Sundara headphone of impedance 37 ohm and sensitivity of 94dB. In this case, the volume has to turn up to 70.

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #6,455 of 8,152
I have to borrow a Zen in order to reply to your question. If I use the Asura of 150 ohm for listening, I have to turn up the volume to 50. I also have a Sundara headphone of impedance 37 ohm and sensitivity of 94dB. In this case, the volume has to turn up to 70.
Thanks! I appreciate it, I'm really eyeing this one because of it's retro design. Looks very "old school".

Sep 13, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #6,457 of 8,152
Just got the F.Audio Xs-03. First impressions are nice, for now it will replace the Aigo Z6 Pro as my go-to DAP First thing I want to warn Xs-03 users to use the Usb cable provided with the player to charge it. It happened to use another one with the battery almost 0% and cannot charge, and when trying to listen with this "foreign" Usb cable plugged in, the player turn off and made a weird noise (the micro relay that clicks at turn on and off start to click repeteadly like a rifle...) I thought damn, broken already??? Until I plugged the stock one, and it gone back to normal. Anyway check "foreign" Usb cables briefly, if the player is partially charged and it shows already "charged" it does not work. I am waiting a 3.5mm balanced cable to use with my UE900s, but they sound already great with normal single-ended. The Xs-03 gets warm when listening, and even warmer when charging while listening.I will write more later about this F.Audio, I would like to know where I can download the newest firmware

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #6,459 of 8,152
Just got the F.Audio Xs-03. First impressions are nice, for now it will replace the Aigo Z6 Pro as my go-to DAP First thing I want to warn Xs-03 users to use the Usb cable provided with the player to charge it. It happened to use another one with the battery almost 0% and cannot charge, and when trying to listen with this "foreign" Usb cable plugged in, the player turn off and made a weird noise (the micro relay that clicks at turn on and off start to click repeteadly like a rifle...) I thought damn, broken already??? Until I plugged the stock one, and it gone back to normal. Anyway check "foreign" Usb cables briefly, if the player is partially charged and it shows already "charged" it does not work. I am waiting a 3.5mm balanced cable to use with my UE900s, but they sound already great with normal single-ended. The Xs-03 gets warm when listening, and even warmer when charging while listening.I will write more later about this F.Audio, I would like to know where I can download the newest firmware

Unzip and put the HEX file in root directory of SD card. Upgrade is automatic after powering up.

Attachments

• Files.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 15, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #6,461 of 8,152
Unzip and put the HEX file in root directory of SD card. Upgrade is automatic after powering up.
Many thanks. But something gone wrong, I opened the Xs-03 to check if may change op-amp, as it is advertised, but it seem they are soldered on main board (unlike Xs-01 where the op-amps sit on their own base) Apart of op-amps, I accidentally pressed the reset button turning on the player while pulling off the electronics, applying some force as they seem pressed inside. After re assembling everything.. the player seem working normally, UI ok but ... no more sound from both outputs (SE and balanced) apart from a short sounding when pressing pause. I am afraid to have damaged something, also the firmware update don't work (I have 1.84, so it would have to update to 1.85) Damn I will never open anymore any Dap! Now I am making it play until discharge battery to see if something happens...

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #6,462 of 8,152
So, you want a Sansa Clip from 2007. Yeah, man - me too.

Still have my rockboxed clip plus, bought in 2013. It resumes play beautifully. When people started complaining about the jack issues, I got a little extension cord. Hopefully I'll be able to solder in a new battery when the time comes, but it's still holding a decent charge for now.

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #6,463 of 8,152
Many thanks. But something gone wrong, I opened the Xs-03 to check if may change op-amp, as it is advertised, but it seem they are soldered on main board (unlike Xs-01 where the op-amps sit on their own base) Apart of op-amps, I accidentally pressed the reset button turning on the player while pulling off the electronics, applying some force as they seem pressed inside. After re assembling everything.. the player seem working normally, UI ok but ... no more sound from both outputs (SE and balanced) apart from a short sounding when pressing pause. I am afraid to have damaged something, also the firmware update don't work (I have 1.84, so it would have to update to 1.85) Damn I will never open anymore any Dap! Now I am making it play until discharge battery to see if something happens...

There are 2 versions: op amp soldered; empty socket. You have to denote it upon buying.

It seems that the reset microswitch is broken (short circuit). If possible, swap a new one from vendor. This time you may ask for an empty socket version. But there is no stocked op amp (i. e. you have to put two dual channels op amp at first).

If swapping is not allowed, just de-solder the reset microswitch. DAP should work fine. In fact the reset switch is rather useless.

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #6,464 of 8,152
xs03 lm49990 1.jpg
xs03 lm49990 2.jpg
xs03 lm49990 3.jpg

F.audio XS03 with 4 LME49990

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #6,465 of 8,152

F.audio XS03 with 4 LME49990
I been interested in f.audio, since I got there s1 but I am very hesitant, does it's still have the 5db sub bass roll off?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back