Obscure Chinese DAPs
May 28, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #6,002 of 8,150
It's been my daily driver since I got it last year, great with buds, I love it with my samsara's and other buds

It's not bad if you can get past all the lack of bt and wifi, no wireless just a simple UI and that's it

But the sound is great for the price, specially once you start changing things around

Akm4497 just sounds so neutral even when changing the caps inside zishan dsd i could only hear it's brown filter slighly getting cleaner and thats it. Zishan z3 (ak4993) is unbelievable good its almost as good as the old I9300, but nobody has beaten WM1811 Wave Algorithm. The I9300 is still the only android device to amp too that's fun.

May 28, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #6,003 of 8,150
Luckily it didn't blow his ears out. I remember accidentally plugging into line out on my Xduoo X3 and getting earraped

Haha, I did that once on the X3. ONCE.

May 29, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #6,004 of 8,150
i have 2 sansa clips(had them for years,still think they sound good)

indeed. I still have my Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed) and it sounds awesome. I have bought two DAPs to "replace it", but they haven't. A FiiO X1 1st generations and a Benjie ( I forget which model).

The Sansa Clip is wonderfully small, lightweight and great sounding. Able to drive headphones to ear-destroying levels.

Such a shame they stopped making it.

right now I'm listening to Baroness with the Sansa Clip and Samson SR850s and it is rock bliss.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #6,005 of 8,150
So I'm guessing the answer is yes even one of these $50 or less DAPs will have better sound quality than my lg g6 phone with Neutron.
what i would suggest is first, ripping some Cd's to 320k bitrate using LAME encoder.
Then order a new, small DAP and compare with your phone. If you don't notice a sound improvement, then send it back and try another. If you're still not noticing an improvement then maybe stick with the phone.

I myself like to have DAPs for my music and my phone for everything else. One reason is my phone battery only lasts about 6 hours with all the use it gets.

Here's one you should consider. Check out the specs, features and reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Po...3D9101YKBXT&psc=1&refRID=KPRQPBYQQ3D9101YKBXT

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #6,006 of 8,150
indeed. I still have my Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed) and it sounds awesome. I have bought two DAPs to "replace it", but they haven't. A FiiO X1 1st generations and a Benjie ( I forget which model).

The Sansa Clip is wonderfully small, lightweight and great sounding. Able to drive headphones to ear-destroying levels.

right now I'm listening to Baroness with the Sansa Clip and Samson SR850s and it is rock bliss.

hello i have two sansa clips(not rckboxed) had them for years.wouldnt part with them.have hidzis ap100 and hd60/11 they dont beat the sansas

May 29, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #6,007 of 8,150

I really wanted to leave my phone at home while at gym. I think Sansa clip is still the king of good sound when it comes to gym friendly clippable players. I really wanted to get the Shanling M0 but seems like it doesnt have physical buttons which kills its purpose. I really wonder who is really the audience ot that thing.

May 29, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #6,009 of 8,150
Does clip sport sound similar to the orginal clip?

I’d like to know this as well. There’s many other Clip models - ones that are more current than the Clip+. You can buy them readily, NIB, color screens, Bluetooth, etc.

Such as the Jam, the Sport, Sport+, etc.

They may not be able to run Rockbox, but if they’re just as good as the Clip then why not?

May 29, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #6,010 of 8,150
IMG_20190529_234816.jpg IMG_20190529_234900.jpg
The Benjie X6 might not be perfect, but i'm liking the UI too much hence i gotten the Xduoo XQ-10 to go with it. Didnt expect the XQ-10 to be that small, but now i got a very nice setup with much more energy, less digital sound with a little bit of background noise (not really audible).

I used 4 velcro dots to hold the player and the amp together, and the setup is extremely portable. My first ever amp, and probably not the last.....

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #6,011 of 8,150
gotten the Xduoo XQ-10 to go with it. Didnt expect the XQ-10 to be that small, but now i got a very nice setup with much more energy, less digital sound with a little bit of background noise (not really audible).

I used 4 velcro dots to hold the player and the amp together, and the setup is extremely portable. My first ever amp, and probably not the last.....

that does seem like a nice combo! Now you have me wanting an XQ-10 for my FiiO X1.

May 29, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #6,012 of 8,150
Hi all,
Really long time lurker/stalker.
I just ruined my Cayin N5 totally by trying to change the battery, one slip and there was circuitry all over. I cried, wife laughed hysterically.
Anyway now I have a $200 Canadian budget
What I would like : 1) 2 SD cards a must
2) good UI
3) decent sound
4) good battery
5) decent customer support as in FW updates
6) unlimited number of files
I am not asking for much, lol
Hopefully the collective and very knowledgeable, often humorous minds here can set me up here with a new toy. I am suffering with just one Dap, so barbaric of me, lol again
Thanks to those that embark on this mission, God's speed and come back safe.

May 29, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #6,013 of 8,150
Hi all,
I just ruined my Cayin N5 totally by trying to change the battery, one slip and there was circuitry all over. I cried, wife laughed hysterically.
2) good UI
3) decent sound
4) good battery
Hopefully the collective and very knowledgeable, often humorous minds here can set me up here with a new toy. I am suffering with just one Dap, so barbaric of me, lol again

Sorry about your luck friend. It’s always sad when electronic repair projects go south :frowning2:

ibasso DX120 meets all those requirements. You’re gonna find that many DAPs meet some of those points but not others. The DX120 is one of the few that meets them all.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #6,014 of 8,150
Hi all,
2) good UI
3) decent sound
4) good battery

how about just buying N5 again :)
there is a used one in ebay 150$

May 30, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #6,015 of 8,150
Sorry about your luck friend. It’s always sad when electronic repair projects go south :frowning2:

ibasso DX120 meets all those requirements. You’re gonna find that many DAPs meet some of those points but not others. The DX120 is one of the few that meets them all.
Yeah but Pewterlocks did say that his budget is CAD200 while the DX120 is USD299 (circa CAD400) and thats double his budget. I say 2 x SD slot for USD150 would be very hard to find.:disappointed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back