Obscure Chinese DAPs
Nov 11, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #5,311 of 8,152
Thanks! Those things don`t bother me a bit.
Also, I wonder if this thing is openable? I would try to tweak some hardware maybe.
Edit: nvm, already bought it. 57$. Will try to open it up when I receive it and see if I`m able to do some tweaks :wink:

I have not tried to open it, nor am I so bold to do it. But it would be very interesting to see what you discover.

It has no screws, I think it will be possible to open it by means of a suction cup.

I'm sorry I could not answer before to help you with your questions. But I see that you have already been able to solve them.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #5,312 of 8,152
I have a question that someone here might know the answer to...I have the Agptek A20 (aka Ruizu X20). I read somewhere that it uses the atj2127 chip (which is supposedly the same as what is in the Ruizu X05/Benjie S5/Agptek M20) but the firmware is obviously different. My question is does anyone have the A20/X20 and if so how does the sound compare to the X5/S5/M20?

I am asking because I was thinking of purchasing the S5/M20 but there is not much point if the SQ is the same or at least very similar.

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #5,314 of 8,152
this fits for this thread? :)

Soon coming to Head-Fi as well :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/11/audirect-whistle-affordable-clear-fun.html

Audirect-Whistle-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Photo-05.jpg

I haven't found any threads discussing DACs here, closest is a few mentions of other DACs in the SMSL Idea thread.

Though isn't this the older model? The smaller and newer Beam would be an upgrade, I imagine?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #5,315 of 8,152
I haven't found any threads discussing DACs here, closest is a few mentions of other DACs in the SMSL Idea thread.

Though isn't this the older model? The smaller and newer Beam would be an upgrade, I imagine?

Yes, I noticed that I had the Whistle but never shared the article, so I did it :)

Will look into the beam really soon~~~

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #5,316 of 8,152
can anyone help me find best warm DAP for the budget of 300-200$ or less, must be forgiving for bad recordings since most my music library consist of metal music.
don't need any fancy touch screen just reasonable button layout and UI, line-out would be nice too since im going to be using a lot with car AUX...don't need Bluetooth.

my current first choice is xuelin ihifi990/atc hda-dp20...another DAP which apparently has tube-like sound is F.Audio XS-02.

but im open to any other suggestions...im tired of all the DAP disappointments recently :frowning2:
I got a xuelin ihifi990 today and I've been listening to metal on it. Love the little player. It's sounds so good

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #5,317 of 8,152
My $19 Hifi Walker H9 (Aigo Mp3-105) came today. It sounds very good, but the UI sucks. Two problems. 1. Use the ENTER bottom to go down one level in the menu tree, but must not hit ENTER to select the music file(use play/pause instead). If the ENTER is pressed, the player froze every time and need rebooting.

2. Like some of the Chinese-American DAPs I have. it can't detect FLAC extension files. With some DAPs, I can fix it by shorten the extension to, say, FLA (3 char). With this H9, no go. Finally, I renamed all the FLAC files to AAC files, then it is fine.

Yes.. I can't find any firmware for update. The closest spec DAP out there is NiNatus X10. It has the same DAC and amp chips. I got the firmware, but I am afraid I may kill the H9 if I flash the x10 firmware on the H9. Besides, I don't know what firmware file name the H9 expect to see.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #5,318 of 8,152
My $19 Hifi Walker H9 (Aigo Mp3-105) came today. It sounds very good, but the UI sucks. Two problems. 1. Use the ENTER bottom to go down one level in the menu tree, but must not hit ENTER to select the music file(use play/pause instead). If the ENTER is pressed, the player froze every time and need rebooting.

Got the H9 cannot say it sounds great but i don't have this ENTER problem. UI sucks alright but for the money and the included 16gb card it is alright.

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #5,319 of 8,152

2. Like some of the Chinese-American DAPs I have. it can't detect FLAC extension files. With some DAPs, I can fix it by shorten the extension to, say, FLA (3 char). With this H9, no go. Finally, I renamed all the FLAC files to AAC files, then it is fine.

Yes.. I can't find any firmware for update. The closest spec DAP out there is NiNatus X10. It has the same DAC and amp chips. I got the firmware, but I am afraid I may kill the H9 if I flash the x10 firmware on the H9. Besides, I don't know what firmware file name the H9 expect to see.

Perhaps someone here who speaks the language can contact Aigo and ask if updated firmware is available?

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #5,320 of 8,152
Guys, would the Shanling M2s be considered a direct upgrade to the xduoo X2? It's in the $200 pricetag so I am expecting the sound to be far more vastly superior than the X2, at least I hope it to be.

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #5,322 of 8,152
Perhaps someone here who speaks the language can contact Aigo and ask if updated firmware is available?

I don't think Aigo make the MP3-105. They also OEMed from somewhere. I did go to Aigo website and asked for firmware. Of course, I got no reply.

The HiFi Walker H9 came with a fairly new firmware dated 2018 06 09.

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #5,324 of 8,152
How is it so far apart from the UI issues?
It sounds better than my Hidizs AP60. It has about 3-4 times more powerful than the AP60. It drives a couple of cans I have with ease. It plays some 2300kbps WAV and 2700kbps FLAC files with ease. (I have to rename all FLAC files to AAC files to it to detect).
So far so good with the sound. But that touch-ENTER-and-die bug prevents me from gifting this to my wife or kids.

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #5,325 of 8,152
Guys, would the Shanling M2s be considered a direct upgrade to the xduoo X2? It's in the $200 pricetag so I am expecting the sound to be far more vastly superior than the X2, at least I hope it to be.

The Xduoo X3 II is probably a better option these days. Half the price (it has been sold for less than $100 in 11.11, normal price in Aliexpres is around $120), same DAC, it also supports Hiby Link, and has lower output impedance, compared to the 4.8Ohm the M2S has. Also, Xduoo finally has correctly implemented gapless in the stock firmware. Here, @cqtek has the X3 II and he's very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back