Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jan 23, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #4,291 of 8,129
Thanks man.
Xduoo X3 really love V2S amp and it can drive my takstar PRO82 to a point my head will do:
200w.gif

What DAP did you have mate?

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #4,294 of 8,129
Yescool S3 arrived today, wasn't expecting much for £24.

The good: small form factor, looks nice aesthetically (very much a homage to the Shanling m1), has a custom equaliser (7 band), read and played all files on 128gb sd card (mostly 16bit Flac).

The bad: The scroll wheel is jerky and its set to 2 clicks per movement on the main menu, navigating folders it scrolls pages so you have to use the side buttons to select a specific folder, I've only listened briefly but sound quality seemed even way off the Nintaus I use daily and there is an audible (albeit very quiet) hiss at low volumes.

The terrible: when the screen is off the up/down buttons and scroll wheel can all be used to adjust volume, why is this bad? The scroll wheel adjusts the volume 10% at a time and there is literally no way to lock the device, using the player in a pocket is going to result in volume suddenly jumping all over the place.

Its an ultra low cost player but if you can live with the memory limitations the Benjie S5 is far better than this.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #4,295 of 8,129
Hello everybody!

I'm back from the dead )))...of course nobody knows me here...i've been a head-fi member for 9 years and haven't login in 7-8 :D
But I was still around you know )
So what brought me back you ask...well my journey started looking for a good pair of earbuds...i know, i know..."What man!"...but it is and always was my favorite form factor...still after 9 yeas of searching...i hate on-ears over-ears and even my superlux and audio-technica m50-s (full-sizes) don't get that much attention from me...neither the iem business is for me...i have a pair of ultimate ears (nothing expensive but sound good to me)...still the're sitting on some shelf...so tomorrow a friend of mine that is studying in China will bring me 10 pairs of Venture electronics monk plus that i impulsively bought after reading a lot and for a long tiiiime about them here )))))). I hope they're are as good as people say.
So yes, Venture electronics brought me back from the dead.Thanks Wild Lee.

So my question for you (as i'm a simple man not a full-time job audiophile :D)

Is there any miracle bang for your buck Dap as praised as the VE Monk are?...because my Sandisk Sansa Clip + died recently and i need your experienced advise regarding these Chinese obscure Daps )))))))

the first thing i set my eyes on was Xduoo X2...as it seems to fit my needs. I plan to pair it with the Ve Monk, so no need for something very expensive...just something that will get the job done and complement the highly praised Monks. )

If any of you have alternative suggestions they will be gladly taken into consideration.

Thanks guys for your attention )

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #4,296 of 8,129
Hello everybody!

I'm back from the dead )))...of course nobody knows me here...i've been a head-fi member for 9 years and haven't login in 7-8 :D
So what brought me back you ask...well my journey started looking for a good pair of earbuds...i know, i know..."What man!"...but it is and always was my favorite form factor...still after 9 yeas of searching...i hate on-ears over-ears and even my superlux and audio-technica m50-s (full-sizes) don't get that much attention from me...neither the iem business is for me...i have a pair of ultimate ears (nothing expensive but sound good to me)...still the're sitting on some shelf...so tomorrow a friend of mine that is studying in China will bring me 10 pairs of Venture electronics monk plus that i impulsively bought after reading a lot and for a long tiiiime about them here )))))). I hope they're are as good as people say.

Is there any miracle bang for your buck Dap as praised as the VE Monk are?...because my Sandisk Sansa Clip + died recently and i need your experienced advise regarding these Chinese obscure Daps )))))))

the first thing i set my eyes on was Xduoo X2...as it seems to fit my needs. I plan to pair it with the Ve Monk, so no need for something very expensive...just something that will get the job done and complement the highly praised Monks. )

If any of you have alternative suggestions they will be gladly taken into consideration.

Welcome back! I feel ya in the earbud department. I have Monk+ (listening to as I type) and TBH I just broke out my old Cowon Z2 with BBE Headphone 2 profile and these Monks sound amazing. Great high/low extension, balanced freqs and nice detail. Although I don't have one I am now considering getting a Cowon Plenue D; small form factor, loads of battery life and other good feature sets. Not sure what the budget is or features your looking for but maybe something to look into. Monk+ sounds pretty good with Alien, C3 and Walnut but the Cowon makes them truly sing!

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #4,297 of 8,129
Hello everybody!

Nothing new really impressive. You might pick up a colorfly c3, which still holds up extremely well, but if you can stretch your budget gearbest still has the xduoo x3 f for 79 bucks and that's way way better than the x2, and you can snap rockbox on it.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #4,298 of 8,129
Welcome back! I feel ya in the earbud department. I have Monk+ (listening to as I type) and TBH I just broke out my old Cowon Z2 with BBE Headphone 2 profile and these Monks sound amazing. Great high/low extension, balanced freqs and nice detail. Although I don't have one I am now considering getting a Cowon Plenue D; small form factor, loads of battery life and other good feature sets. Not sure what the budget is or features your looking for but maybe something to look into. Monk+ sounds pretty good with Alien, C3 and Walnut but the Cowon makes them truly sing!

Hey, thanks for the quick reply,
Yes i've heard about Cowon, but they are out of my budget...as per Alien and Wallnut i would really like to have a small display just to browse thru my music.
A more briefly explanation of what i'm looking for is the title of this thread :D...I'm looking for some good cheap DAP that maybe i haven't heard of, as per Chinese are making some awesome and cheap stuff lately.
Look at Fiio now )...the king of the hill...and my first product bought from them was the 5$ (Fiio E3)...hope VE will get there also...and now i'm looking for a contender in the DAP department that won't break the bank. )
Cheers mate )

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #4,299 of 8,129
Nothing new really impressive. You might pick up a colorfly c3, which still holds up extremely well, but if you can stretch your budget gearbest still has the xduoo x3 f for 79 bucks and that's way way better than the x2, and you can snap rockbox on it.

Hey mate,
So the iJay previously mentioned C3 was Colorfly C3, thx...i never heard of it...will look into it...that's what i was expecting from head-fi community :D
awaiting more sugestions )))
as per x3...i really hate the looks of it (...and for the the quality and price i'm looking for...i will settle with anything that doesn't sound worse than my ex clip + so i think there is no need to exceed the 50$ budget )
Cheers

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #4,300 of 8,129
Hey mate,
So the iJay previously mentioned C3 was Colorfly C3, thx...i never heard of it...will look into it...that's what i was expecting from head-fi community :D
as per x3...i really hate the looks of it (...and for the the quality and price i'm looking for...i will settle with anything that doesn't sound worse than my ex clip + so i think there is no need to exceed the 50$ budget )
Cheers
Well, let's be honest I bet all suggestions you'll get here will be better than the clip. It has been at the bottom of the food chain for a while. X3 is a killer as an overall package, not gonna lie - but if you're on an extremely limited budget C3 is a killer too (a different kind of killer) - In fact it still gives me the best sound out of my Noble 6, so that's a statement when a sub-$50 DAP matches great with something that costs $1000+. It's main issue is the output power but it's about clip + level, so if you were fine with it, you should be fine with the c3.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #4,301 of 8,129
Hey mate,
Cheers
yep, Colorfly C3. The price has slightly increased over the past few years but still worth it. You can also get a soundgarden (not the band!, RIP Chris) rubber cover for it that fits nicely. Happy hunting and let us know what you settle with.

Jan 24, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #4,302 of 8,129
Yescool S3 arrived today, wasn't expecting much for £24.

The good: small form factor, looks nice aesthetically (very much a homage to the Shanling m1), has a custom equaliser (7 band), read and played all files on 128gb sd card (mostly 16bit Flac).

The bad: The scroll wheel is jerky and its set to 2 clicks per movement on the main menu, navigating folders it scrolls pages so you have to use the side buttons to select a specific folder, I've only listened briefly but sound quality seemed even way off the Nintaus I use daily and there is an audible (albeit very quiet) hiss at low volumes.

The terrible: when the screen is off the up/down buttons and scroll wheel can all be used to adjust volume, why is this bad? The scroll wheel adjusts the volume 10% at a time and there is literally no way to lock the device, using the player in a pocket is going to result in volume suddenly jumping all over the place.

Its an ultra low cost player but if you can live with the memory limitations the Benjie S5 is far better than this.

Thanks for the information. I'm assuming that you have to use a sorting programme to get files listed alphabetically? Does it auto resume when you turn it on? I suppose you haven't had it long enough to get an idea of the battery life. I was curious about this player but will probably give it a miss.

Jan 24, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #4,303 of 8,129
Thanks for the information. I'm assuming that you have to use a sorting programme to get files listed alphabetically? Does it auto resume when you turn it on? I suppose you haven't had it long enough to get an idea of the battery life. I was curious about this player but will probably give it a miss.
Yes all files are sorted using fat sorter, nothing wrong with the way the player orders them from the file table, it's the UI controls which are just a pain. It auyo resumes on power on, like the Nintaus and others you only have a few seconds and must choose to resume otherwise you're kicked into the main menu screen. No idea on battery life yet and probably won't use it enough to find out, I would give it a miss unless they provide a firmware update which adds lock or skip using the buttons/wheel, even with that the audio isn't that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back