Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jan 30, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #994 of 8,128

30 hours of battery life with a class A amp is a pretty tempting package, UI be damned.

Very interested in a comparison with your M2s.

The original Studio V was good for about 40+ hours a charge. The downside and catch (not many onlookers new) was it took 12 hours to charge from dead flat and 6 hours from half, I used to put mine on at night before bed. You would seriously only need to do this once a month depending how often you used it. The navigation is like an old Pacman game but at the time back then there wasn't much I'd heard that sounded better so you took sound over UI experience. (the sound is very good, very 'audiophile' in character)

What Hisound need to have done is drop the hiss levels because their earlier Studio V units were quite hissy..

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #995 of 8,128
  30 hours of battery life with a class A amp is a pretty tempting package, UI be damned.

It only has 12mW power output which explains the battery life. Also even if it's class A it doesn't particularly mean it's a good amp, Hisoundaudio's previous dap, the Studio V, also had a class A amp, which consisted simply of a single opamp biased into class A, not to mention the dap didn't even use a dac chip and used the inbuilt dac of it's cpu chip... but apparently it still sounded decent for it's time lol.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #996 of 8,128

It only has 12mW power output which explains the battery life. Also even if it's class A it doesn't particularly mean it's a good amp, Hisoundaudio's previous dap, the Studio V, also had a class A amp, which consisted of a very simple single opamp biased into class A, not to mention the dap didn't even use a stand alone dac and used the inbuilt dac of the it's cpu chip...

Did you ever get a chance to hear Studio V, Trance?

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #998 of 8,128
  ^ Nope, but I gather it sounded pretty good for it's time, I just can't get over how simple the internals were and the price hisound were asking, almost criminal lol.

I understand, there was much discussion about that. I still don't think I've heard another player with stronger instrument separation to this day. The sound signature could come across a little sterile, very clear, high in detail and micro detail, but colourless basically. Owners used to use this a positive saying it allowed you to expereince the true signature of your headphones. It wasn't all rainbows and lollypops as I felt there was some bass roll-off, nothing too dramatic.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #1,000 of 8,128
Any other current DAPs you guys can think of that approach either 'neutrality' or 'colourlessness'?
New HiSound looks interesting but I don't think I could accept that level of UI.

So far I have been suggested the Cayin N5 (characterized not so much as 'neutral' as 'less warm') by a couple people.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,001 of 8,128
I tried the N6, it is rather neutral, it doesn't have the texture and timbre of the HA300, so N6 lacks realism in comparison, imo. N6 also has a very wide soundstage while HA300 is a bit more focused and concentrated. HA300 also conveys energy and rythm better.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #1,002 of 8,128
IHIFI990 - it will be Xuelin IHIFI's flagship DAP.

DAC: PCM1792
Op amp: TPA6120
I/V conversion: OPA2134
Low-pass filter: OPA2134
Formats supported: APE, FLAC, AIFF, WAV up to 24/192, DSD64, DSD128
Card slot: TF slot, 128GB supported
Display: Retina resolution
Battery: 3100mah, 10 hours
Dimensions: 62x113x15mm
Release date: TBD

Source: http://erji.net/read.php?tid=1888560&fpage=3&toread=&page=1

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #1,004 of 8,128
I have a new obscure Chinese DAP: AGPtek A06 (the company AGPTek is actually American, but I am quite sure it is some Chinese OEM product).

Kind of unique ultra-budget player (€39.99 in Germany) - has even (quite decent sounding although neither aptX nor AAC) Bluetooth built-in, an FM radio and is able to output FM radio over Bluetooth (which makes it a one-of-a-kind, at least I don't know any other DAP which is capable of FM streaming over BT).

Extremely low noise floor, low output impedance (slightly less than 1 Ohm), FLAC support and a relatively good sound - what else would you need more at the extremely little price?

An interesting little thing. Does it play highres? And is there any comparison with the similarly priced sansa clip?

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #1,005 of 8,128
prot

Nope, Hi-Res is not supported and neither is gapless playback, but that didn't surprise me much to be honest. :wink:

For the price this thing has killer value and features.
If it had RockBox support and a dedicated volume rocker, it would be the perfect budget DAP.

Sounds cleaner than a Clip (Plus/Zip). I'll upload my review with a small comparison with the Zip later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back