Obscure Chinese DAPs
Oct 27, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #6,693 of 8,144
Hi,

I am in between Ruizu x50 and Sony NWZ- e383 (in which rockbox can be installed).
Which would you recommend in terms of maximum volume output with my headphone (AKG K518DJ)?

In the past, I used Cowon F2 and Xduoo X2 (Xduoo's maximum output was very good). I have tried Fiio X1 (2.nd gen), but volume output was not as high as xduoo x2 (but quality was really good). But my xduoo x2 broke down and now I am using Benjie s5/AGPTEK M20 model, but I wanted to learn your opinions about sony and ruizu? sony is older but rockbox is a plus. My first target is getting the loudest volume. Rockbox provides this in sony or ruizu will be a better choice in terms of volume output (with my headphone with impedance (Ohms)32, (dB)115? Thank you for your help

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #6,695 of 8,144
For those with a Zishan Z2, the Z2 thread has been unlocked and has recent posts. If someone with a facebook account could let them know on the Zishan group, that would be good too. Maybe the thread will remain active.

Z2.JPG

Oct 28, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #6,696 of 8,144
For those with a Zishan Z2, the Z2 thread has been unlocked and has recent posts. If someone with a facebook account could let them know on the Zishan group, that would be good too. Maybe the thread will remain active.

who did your mods?
Looking at carbon fiber and faux leather for mine

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #6,697 of 8,144

I would send them a message, but they won't lete join there group.....

Thanks for the heads up, gonna check it out.
Does anyone know why it was shut down to begin with?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #6,698 of 8,144

which of your Zishans do you prefer?
and if they are modded, how?
Same for the Walnuts

I've picked up several zishan z3s (4490/4493) and walnutv2s to mod and give away for christmas. I'm pairing them with either the monk plus's or HE150 earbuds because of the out impedance. I picked up a couple Walnut F2s but all the buttons were not soldered onto the device so they didn't work, They still play but that's all there's no controls except volume and on/off. I was shocked when I opened the cover and found the reason.

For the Z3's I've decide to mod then with the muse03 or baby muses.
But for the Walnuts I haven't figured out what op amp to use for those as these sound pretty decent stock.
If anything either the 825 or 627 or 8066 or 49860.
I wish the little Z3s were the same cost (around $25 USD) as the walnuts as they are more portable, have a screen and can take a bigger card.

Some say the Z1s especially WaZe folks were/are the best sounding of the lot and I kind of like the analog volume knob for a device with no screen.

Oct 29, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #6,699 of 8,144
which of your Zishans do you prefer?
and if they are modded, how?
Same for the Walnuts

I've picked up several zishan z3s (4490/4493) and walnutv2s to mod and give away for christmas. I'm pairing them with either the monk plus's or HE150 earbuds because of the out impedance. I picked up a couple Walnut F2s but all the buttons were not soldered onto the device so they didn't work, They still play but that's all there's no controls except volume and on/off. I was shocked when I opened the cover and found the reason.

For the Z3's I've decide to mod then with the muse03 or baby muses.
But for the Walnuts I haven't figured out what op amp to use for those as these sound pretty decent stock.
If anything either the 825 or 627 or 8066 or 49860.
I wish the little Z3s were the same cost (around $25 USD) as the walnuts as they are more portable, have a screen and can take a bigger card.

Some say the Z1s especially WaZe folks were/are the best sounding of the lot and I kind of like the analog volume knob for a device with no screen.
I use my 4490 dsd with v5i the most, 4497 dsd with 2 x ad8620 in lpf and ad823 the second most, in 3rd would be a v2s with all caps upgraded and 2x 825 on an adapter

I did like the z1 a lot but haven't gotten around to fixing it (volume knob stopped working) from memory it had really good sound, I liked it more then the v2s, but the knob went bad after a couple weeks

I was enjoying the z3 with the lpf removed and a dip8 plug in its place, I really like the v5i with ad823 in lpf but then the solder pads lifted and I haven't messed with it since then

The f.audio s1 is my back up/sports player

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #6,701 of 8,144
It's very difficult for me to live with a screenless dap, so I don't use my Z2 at all.

I wish they'd implement a "speech" voice over function to name what one is hearing, for when I don't know and well, want to know. On a 128GB SD full of albums I've listened to 1 or 2 times only it's difficult...

That would be awesome because otherwise, listening "blind" is a great way to be more open without bias about what one is "about to listen to" from screens.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #6,702 of 8,144
who did your mods?
Looking at carbon fiber and faux leather for mine

It's only a graphic image manipulated in GIMP (similar to Photoshop) and printed on injet photo paper, then wrapped around the Z2 with double-sided clear tape (Scotch brand here in the USA). Very inexpensive per wrap (maybe USD 25 cents), and any look can be had. The knob is from aliexpress (6mm potentiometer knob).

If anyone is interested, I can post the wrap dimensions on the Zishan Z2 thread.

I asked that back when I first noticed it was locked, and someone suggested that perhaps it was because the thread had moved exclusively toward modding. Who knows? I was on FB for a minute back in 2007, but learned about their data collection and ducked out. It's too bad the Zishan/Walnut and the anonymous earbuds groups are private, and on FB. We could all benefit from their discussions.

Oct 29, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #6,704 of 8,144
It's very difficult for me to live with a screenless dap, so I don't use my Z2 at all.

I wish they'd implement a "speech" voice over function to name what one is hearing, for when I don't know and well, want to know. On a 128GB SD full of albums I've listened to 1 or 2 times only it's difficult...

That would be awesome because otherwise, listening "blind" is a great way to be more open without bias about what one is "about to listen to" from screens.

I'm pairing my screenless DAPs (Revamp Acoustics Nuansa/Walnut V2s) with small 8GB-16GB micro sd cards that contain either a specific genre or playlist(s) of music and just swap cards to fit the mood I'm in. I started doing this a decade ago when I bought this small $10 chinese MP3 player that only supported 256MB-1GB SD cards that whole package including the SD cards was smaller than most all DAPs sold today.

Oct 29, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #6,705 of 8,144

Users who are viewing this thread

Back