Obscure Chinese DAPs
Oct 31, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #6,721 of 8,152
Got today my highres player. Don't know why they call it a digital voice recorder.

It's a HYZKE
Model H60
znhogdjh.jpg

ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00

d12YmJQ

Pretty satisfied with the build and sound quality. One main problem.

If I open an album folder tracks are not numerated in the correct order but instead they are in alphabetical order. Any tips how to fix it?

Well usually your tracks have a number at the beginning of the name, so sorted by alphabetical is the right sorting o_O

If they don't and you expect a cheapo chinese DAP to sort them by #track in tags, that's not possible I'm afraid.

You'd have to run all your files through foobar and use the "rename" function first.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #6,723 of 8,152
Sorry it's unclear to me what's your issue. I suspect it's just the usual chinese daps way of sorting files by date added instead of alphabetical, you can remedy this by running the SD through a program like "FAT sorter"

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #6,724 of 8,152
Well i figured it out. If I select the album by folder view the songs are playing in the correct order.

Thank god. Otherwise this would piss me off constantly. The player wasn't cheap either. Paid 90€.

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #6,726 of 8,152
I've posted a tutorial for photo-skinning the Zishan Z2. It should work also for similar Zishans and Walnuts.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bra...re-update-page-1.854463/page-44#post-15275959

Thanks just received 1'x5' rolls of red and gold carbon fiber print vinyl from amazon
gonna skin my broken Walnut F2s following your sample
I saw a you tube video that was a little different

The carbonfiber prints look good as does the black and red leather textured and walkman prints.

CarbonFiber.jpg Gold.jpg

leather marshall.jpg Red leather.jpg

walkman.jpg

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #6,728 of 8,152
F.Audio Xs-03, Sound PART 3
Quick test with various Iem, using the other Xs-03 (normal PO output)

With Yamaha Eph-100 (single DD, 16 Ohm 120 $, discontinued) Good amount of bass that goes quite deep, mids are forward and warm, highs with fair detail and air, but a little too bright. Not bad.

With NiceHCK Nx7 (Dual DD + 4BA + 1 Piezo, 55 Ohm 75$) Deep, articulated and powerful sub-bass, the mid-bass is precise but recessed, low mids are nice but recessed too, high mids neutral, female voices are better than male. Highs are extended, detailed and crisp, a little harsh sometimes. Fun sound, a bit colored .

With KZ-Zs10 (1DD + 4BA, 32 Ohm 30$,)
Thunder bass, deep and boomy. Mids neutral, sometimes overshadowed by the mid-bass. Highs crisp and quite extended, fair amount of detail. Fun sound, great for the price.

With KZ AteS (single DD, 16Ohm 10$) Punchy bass with fair amount of sub, mids warm not very clear highs veiled with few detail. But for the price they don't sound bad at all!

With Shure SE420 (2BA, 22 Ohm, 150$ 10 years ago) Precise but light bass, forward and warm mids, veiled dark highs. Too relaxing.

After those tries, I think about Xs-03 + Ue900s and I realized they miss something.... bass! I concentrated on Xs-03 + Ue900s clarity, naturality, detail, of mids and highs that are amazing and way better than any aforementioned Iem , the bass is here, precise, balanced, fair depth, but not enough energetic... BA usually are inferior to dynamic drivers about it. Then, last but not least at all, there is another one...

With NiceHCK M6 (Dual DD + 4BA, 17 Ohm 98$) I expected a lot from those, after reading many good to excellent reviews, one explaining how those Iem are best paired with neutral and bass-recessed DAP... as Xs-03 is! They replaced Ue900s on the "balanced" Xs-03.
Very nice! Here is the strong bass, with good sub-bass but a bit too enhanced upper bass so I applied custom Eq lowering 80Hz by 2dB and 200Hz by about 3-4 dB, achieving a satisfyng bass response, with sub-bass freed from excessive upper bass thump (the only downside of M6) Mids have great naturality and clarity, they match Ue900s with a bit more warmth. Highs are smoother than Ue900s, less bright, never fatiguing, detailed and nicely extended. I like them, they will remain here.

Sorry my beloved Ue900s, you must stay with Aigo Z6 Pro!

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #6,729 of 8,152
Thanks just received 1'x5' rolls of red and gold carbon fiber print vinyl from amazon
gonna skin my broken Walnut F2s following your sample
I saw a you tube video that was a little different

Those carbon fiber vinyls are beautiful. Yes, if you have self adhesive vinyl, you can just take the player apart and skin each piece separately. The vinyl is thin and a seam where the front and back meets isn't bad. The seam can be seen on the "Walkman" photo. The YP pre-cut vinyls are incredible and accurate. I would like to be able to produce something pre-cut like that, but the Cricut Explore or Maker vinyl cutting machines, which have a print and cut feature, are $300+, which is overkill for a few skins for my own use.

Since my photo skins are thicker paper and in one piece, a seam at the side would be much more noticeable, and with a tendency to peel with handling, hence my tutorial.

Good luck with the carbon fiber vinyl, be sure and post your results.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #6,730 of 8,152
Those carbon fiber vinyls are beautiful. Yes, if you have self adhesive vinyl, you can just take the player apart and skin each piece separately. The vinyl is thin and a seam where the front and back meets isn't bad. The seam can be seen on the "Walkman" photo. The YP pre-cut vinyls are incredible and accurate. I would like to be able to produce something pre-cut like that, but the Cricut Explore or Maker vinyl cutting machines, which have a print and cut feature, are $300+, which is overkill for a few skins for my own use.

Since my photo skins are thicker paper and in one piece, a seam at the side would be much more noticeable, and with a tendency to peel with handling, hence my tutorial.

Good luck with the carbon fiber vinyl, be sure and post your results.

picked up this super flexible real paua shell vinyl I'm going to try as well

713SFCL3BcL._SL1000_.jpg

found this self installation youtube video as well

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #6,731 of 8,152
Attached is a video to let you know what a low-frequency equalizer does. In this case, I use a pure low frequency wave, played in the F.Audio XS03, while switching from OFF equalization to ROCK equalizer. The signal does not increase, it just deforms, introducing distortion. Something that can be seen with the ear, without the need for videos. I never equalize if this is the result.

https://hiendportable.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/XS03-EQ-OFF-to-Rock.wmv

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #6,732 of 8,152
Attached is a video to let you know what a low-frequency equalizer does. In this case, I use a pure low frequency wave, played in the F.Audio XS03, while switching from OFF equalization to ROCK equalizer. The signal does not increase, it just deforms, introducing distortion. Something that can be seen with the ear, without the need for videos. I never equalize if this is the result.

https://hiendportable.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/XS03-EQ-OFF-to-Rock.wmv
(I guess you are referring to me haha)
Thanks, interesting! Yes I tried briefly to counteract the lack of bass of Ue900s using Eq to increase bass level, obtaining just ugly rumble. Almost all presets in Xs-03 increase bass, ruining the sound a lot. But in my case I used custom Eq to lower the level, maybe decreasing adds less or no distortion than increasing, as I got a good result for me to enjoy the NiceHCK M6 at its best. I am not a fan of Eq, but in this case it ireveals useful

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #6,733 of 8,152
(I guess you are referring to me haha)
Thanks, interesting! Yes I tried briefly to counteract the lack of bass of Ue900s using Eq to increase bass level, obtaining just ugly rumble. Almost all presets in Xs-03 increase bass, ruining the sound a lot. But in my case I used custom Eq to lower the level, maybe decreasing adds less or no distortion than increasing, as I got a good result for me to enjoy the NiceHCK M6 at its best. I am not a fan of Eq, but in this case it ireveals useful

It's not against you, it was not my intention at all. It's against a Hi-Fi audio system using this type of equalizer. I suppose the rest of the DAPs will be similar...But since the F.Audio have that lack in bass, it was in the XS03 when I also used the equalization to improve the sound. But I realized that it didn't sound good...That's when I started to check what was going on...I thought that equalization would increase/decrease the gain on those frequencies. But that's not the case. I was disappointed.

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #6,735 of 8,152
Any concern about overheating when you insulate a DAP with a vinyl wrap?

depends
some of these are basically metal bricks with no ventilation
and some get hot when you run certain files type or functions
my CT-10 heats up so bad when its downloading qobuz files to off line storage that I place it on a small laptop fan cooling stand while its downloading.
only the ACMEE MF-01 had what looked like external heat sinks designed into the shell if they were just for show.
Folks over at WaZe have been skinning their zishans for years with no mention of fires or melted circuit
it's even worse since they usually are modding their op amps which can make these things heat up even more depending on the choice of op amp.
Instead of going for looks with fancy Hidef LCD screens I would rather they use the horse power to make smarter devices that could match what the streaming services and online services and phones are already doing as far as personalization. Like automated playlists and or being able to re-sort your tracks on the device

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back