Obscure Chinese DAPs
Feb 5, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #481 of 8,150
what does a DX90 do better/best that the Studio lack or cannot at all? is there any DAP out there that has the same amazing battery life as the Studio and perhaps a better overall SQ? That might be my next upgrade target. :)

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #482 of 8,150
  what does a DX90 do better/best that the Studio lack or cannot at all? is there any DAP out there that has the same amazing battery life as the Studio and perhaps a better overall SQ? That might be my next upgrade target. :)

DX90 is easier to use with the touch screen and has this over Studio V:

True Line out
24bit support
3 gain settings
Touch screen 
USB OTG Storage
Works as a DAC connected to PC
Removable battery

Studio V has:

Better battery life

Pretty simple really. 
smile.gif
 Trust me, I am a fan of Studio V units, owned two for a long time, (at the same time) but the answer is simple. Studio V is like playing pinball machine from the 1970's in usability, DX90 like Playstation 2.

If you talk about sound then there are aspects Studio V does more efficiently over my DX90, such as more air in the presentation, better instrument separation, slightly wider soundstage, that Hisound house sound, though Studio's cannot keep up with resolution and detail of DX90, its simply a rule of thumb due to the better DAC's and internals of DX90. There much more heft to the music, a stronger presence of detail, (evenly across the frequency range), not fake detail which often results from a bright tonality tilt pushing  out in the upper mids (something I felt the Studio did)

Studio V is good and will always have its unique sound, but the iBasso is stronger overall from functionality to specs.

It is simple to understand.

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #483 of 8,150
Studio does 24 bit wav,but maybe downsampled.
I still argue that the Ibasso is not a true line out, its not fixed voltage. It is like the HDMS function in the studio.

The hold button on its own makes me always take my dx90, but the Studio is always in my bag, battery lasts forever and built like a tank, ie dropped on concrete floor from 5ft and still works perfectly!

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #484 of 8,150
Studio does 24 bit wav,but maybe downsampled.
I still argue that the Ibasso is not a true line out, its not fixed voltage. It is like the HDMS function in the studio.

The hold button on its own makes me always take my dx90, but the Studio is always in my bag, battery lasts forever and built like a tank, ie dropped on concrete floor from 5ft and still works perfectly!

All the HDMS function does on Studio is lock the volume to max, still fed directly from the internal amp section which in most cases from my experience caused more distortion than anything, that's why I'd set the volume to a neat 28/31 for amping (to avoid the distortion). there was no magic internal amp bypass going on by setting the HDMS function, it was a gimmick. The DX90 may not be fixed line out voltage but I"m quite certain you're bypassing the internal amp section. I don't think iBasso would add a second line out jack without bypassing the internal amp correctly obtaining a signal from the dual DACs. I've read about it before somewhere why you can still adjust the line out level, cannot find the source.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #485 of 8,150
Thanks KT and H20. Your inputs are noted. I'm just surprised why such an amazing battery life does not exist on TOTL DAP more recently released or even to mid-level contenders like the DX90. Maybe that kind of DAP would be very high priced if I may say. Can you suggest what could be a better upgrade coming from Studio? Of course, the overall SQ must be way better. Thanks!

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #487 of 8,150
Thanks KT and H20. Your inputs are noted. I'm just surprised why such an amazing battery life does not exist on TOTL DAP more recently released or even to mid-level contenders like the DX90. Maybe that kind of DAP would be very high priced if I may say. Can you suggest what could be a better upgrade coming from Studio? Of course, the overall SQ must be way better. Thanks!

Because inside Studio V is one massive battery, that's why the casings so thick. Inside the actual unit the board is but 1-2mm thick. (bare some extra components rising)

While I believe Hisound did a wonderful job on the circuitry (and sound) to accommodate they also managed to shove one of the highest capacity batteries known to man inside the rest of the casing. This is why (and not everyone knows unlesss they've owned one) Studio V takes 12 hours to fully charge, or 6 hours from a half charge. 

While I don't completely understand the technicals, the logic is huge capacity battery = huge run times. So there's no real magic going on. I'm sure other manufacturers  could get the same run times if they chose to create much bigger housings. There's no denying though, it is one huge upside to the Hisound unit having so much battery life.

I don't know of any other players that get the same run times expect some Cowon units.

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #493 of 8,150
I have heard the Luxury & Precision LP5 silver version. Pairing it with HE-560, though the volume is not very loud, the sound quality was sublime. Clean, natural, smooth, good soundstage depth and separation. From the specs it looks like it shares most of the core of LP5, so I have high hope on L5. 

The head-fi shop owner told me that the L5 could be available before Chinese New Year, i.e. 19th FEB. There are a few taobao online shops listing it today, price for 16G version is RMB3990, or USD650. Lower than that of LP5, I hope it could keep up with the SQ of the LP5.

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #494 of 8,150
Regarding L5, the DAC chip is the AKM Verita 4490 which supports PCM up to 32/768 and DSD up to DSD256. Battery life is around 12 hours. The L5 can function as a USB DAC and has coaxial out (3.5mm) and of course LO. Interestingly the L5 will have 5 gain settings
blink.gif
 Another unique feature is the two user-defined buttons.

Pretty sure there's only one TF card slot.

There will be 2 versions: 16GB (RMB 3990) and 32GB (RMB 4490).

Check out the pics below for a glimpse of the UI.

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #495 of 8,150
  Regarding L5, the DAC chip is the AKM Verita 4490 which supports PCM up to 32/768 and DSD up to DSD256. Battery life is around 12 hours. The L5 can function as a USB DAC and has coaxial out (3.5mm) and of course LO. Interestingly the L5 will have 5 gain settings
blink.gif
 Another unique feature is the two user-defined buttons.

Pretty sure there's only one TF card slot.

There will be 2 versions: 16GB (RMB 3990) and 32GB (RMB 4490).

Check out the pics below for a glimpse of the UI.

Is there wifi or bluetooth? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back