Obscure Chinese DAPs
Sep 26, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #3,481 of 8,152
I would also advise steering clear of the Xduoo X3 unless you Rockbox it. I bought one as a "knockabout" DAP and instantly regretted it. At CD sampling rates (44.1kHz), it just plain doesn't work. It plays back everything at the wrong speed. Apparently, Rockboxing fixes this, but then you lose the ability to play HD files. Also, I can't find a Mac version of Rockbox (we are an all-Mac household...).

The build quality is good, though, and it sounds OK on HD files (but that's not what I bought it for).

Ive decided not to go for the Xduoo and have rejuvenated my old Sony S636f for another while and save up for another player. I think the Cowon Plenure D might be worth saving up for but its hard to know. Maybe a Sony flac capable player is the way to go!

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #3,482 of 8,152
Sooo... I'm kinda trying out that Aliexpress thing. Probably buying a few things, including the KZ ZST. This thread made me curious about the players, too.
The problem is, I'm using my phone and I'm kinda happy, if just from lack of point of reference. So I'm not sure if I actually want one. Especially since the IEMs apparently work decently from anything.

My main budget would be around $50, which wouldn't be that terrible for just a curiosity, but I still have some doubts. I was mostly thinking about Ruizu A50 & NiNTAUS X10 (the latter apparently had a revision - any differences except for shipping with a new FW?). There's also the Benjie T6/AGPtek Rocker, but I'm not sure about it until it possibly gets Rockbox.
There's also the more budget option, which would be buying the Benjie S5/X1/K9 (which are like half of the price) and just have a new toy that might sound good.
Of course there is a third option, which is not getting anything. Which probably wouldn't be a very popular option here. :>

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #3,484 of 8,152
Sooo... I'm kinda trying out that Aliexpress thing. Probably buying a few things, including the KZ ZST. This thread made me curious about the players, too.
The problem is, I'm using my phone and I'm kinda happy, if just from lack of point of reference. So I'm not sure if I actually want one. Especially since the IEMs apparently work decently from anything.

My main budget would be around $50, which wouldn't be that terrible for just a curiosity, but I still have some doubts. I was mostly thinking about Ruizu A50 & NiNTAUS X10 (the latter apparently had a revision - any differences except for shipping with a new FW?). There's also the Benjie T6/AGPtek Rocker, but I'm not sure about it until it possibly gets Rockbox.
There's also the more budget option, which would be buying the Benjie S5/X1/K9 (which are like half of the price) and just have a new toy that might sound good.
Of course there is a third option, which is not getting anything. Which probably wouldn't be a very popular option here. :>

Most phones do not have very good DACs from what I have read. Investigate that.

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #3,485 of 8,152
An alternative would be to hook a DAC/amp up to your phone...

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #3,486 of 8,152

I have all the DAPs you listed except for the S5. They're all good for budget level but if gapless playback is important to you only the T6/Rocker has it. My favorites are the A50 and T6 - A50 for build + UI/navigation and T6 for sound + gapless.

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #3,487 of 8,152
Hi there,
Can anybody compare Zishan DSD with Cayin and AUNE m1s?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,488 of 8,152
I have all the DAPs you listed except for the S5. They're all good for budget level but if gapless playback is important to you only the T6/Rocker has it. My favorites are the A50 and T6 - A50 for build + UI/navigation and T6 for sound + gapless.

I second this, T6 will sound so sweet with those ZST's. Benjie T6 and S5 sound just alike and the S5 is smaller with softer corners however you lose the all important (to you as I don't mind the nano second of dead air before the next cut) gapless with the S5:wink:

T6ZST.JPG

Of course for many the next step up in KZ would be the ZS5 but I still prefer the ZST over it:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Pair of S5's.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #3,489 of 8,152
Del.

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #3,490 of 8,152
I second this, T6 will sound so sweet with those ZST's. Benjie T6 and S5 sound just alike and the S5 is smaller with softer corners however you lose the all important (to you as I don't mind the nano second of dead air before the next cut) gapless with the S5:wink:

Interesting. This actually kinda steers me in favor of the S5. It would be my first foray into dedicated DAPs since my Sony E353 a few years ago (which I liked, but left due to non-expandable memory and battery kinda giving up) since I'm a cheap person (I mean, even back then there were Sansa Clips, but I didn't like the size. And I had a Fuze before, but the controls broke IIRC, so it kinda put me off from them) an don't want to spend too much money on just a curiosity.
Not sure if gapless is going to be important to me. I don't remember if the Sony even had it. I guess I just gotta try it.

However, I have a few questions about it:
- I assume it supports sorting by ID3 tags? I remember it being pointed out in a few xDuoo X2 reviews that it didn't, so I ignored it right away. On your pic it seems like it's showing the filename instead of tags, so it made me cautious.
- Are there any differences between the Benjie and AGPtek firmware? Apparently the latter is better, but haven't found any details yet. (I assume it has no problems with Chinese at least, heh heh)
- Does it work with Japanese alphabets? Or non-english in general.
- How big is it actually? Looks bigger than the Clip at least, but couldn't find any comparison photos yet. [EDIT: nevermind. Found one]

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #3,491 of 8,152
Not sure if gapless is going to be important to me. I don't remember if the Sony even had it. I guess I just gotta try it.

Gapless is important if you listen to albums that are meant to be seamless...one track flowing into the next. Live albums, Roger Waters newest album, Devin Townsend-Ghost are examples. If you shuffle play you do not need gapless. You will just wait an extra second or so for the next song to start. .If you listen to albums that are comprised of separate songs you do not NEED gapless ( not that it would hurt to have it). For albums that do require gapless play it is not just a matter of having that little second of silence...it will sound like a glitch and will be particularly annoying in a hypnotic trancelike seamless album. Players that do have a gapless option allow you to turn it on or off.

So just consider your music and your listening habits when you decide.

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #3,492 of 8,152

Of course for many the next step up in KZ would be the ZS5 but I still prefer the ZST over it:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I prefer gapless but it's no big deal to stitch together a few albums into single files when using a player without it. I understand that people who just want one functional DAP may not appreciate the extra work involved but I enjoy ripping, coding, tagging, organising and transferring music onto my players - it's all part of the fun. I'm probably a complete loser though. :)

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #3,493 of 8,152
I prefer gapless but it's no big deal to stitch together a few albums into single files when using a player without it. I understand that people who just want one functional DAP may not appreciate the extra work involved but I enjoy ripping, coding, tagging, organising and transferring music onto my players - it's all part of the fun. I'm probably a complete loser though. :)

You're no loser @eaglesgift as a matter a fact you could probably get a little side work teaching a few your ripping techniques:wink: Sometimes I'm a complete dunce at getting what meta data I needed moved to get art and content:rolling_eyes: I was like standing behind the door when they were passing out brains:scream:

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #3,494 of 8,152
Just received my colorfly c10 from joybuy. Initially I was not very eager to check them out, but the option for paypal payment gave me a pave of mind, It is brand new and sealed, which is a good sign. I\ll open it at home after work to check it out but even though I got hit by the customs it still came at circa $180, which is more than half off of the prices here in Europe.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #3,495 of 8,152
Just received my colorfly c10 from joybuy. Initially I was not very eager to check them out, but the option for paypal payment gave me a pave of mind, It is brand new and sealed, which is a good sign. I\ll open it at home after work to check it out but even though I got hit by the customs it still came at circa $180, which is more than half off of the prices here in Europe.

Congrats @kova4a :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back