Obscure Chinese DAPs
Sep 22, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #3,466 of 8,152
Of interest, what is it with the N3 you prefer over the M2S? I have the M2S and think it's a lovely player, but haven't heard the N3 (have the N5 which is fantastic, but totally different functionality)
If you will go on the Cayin N3 thread you will see some opinions of people who own both M2s and N3 and the conclusion was the same for all: M2s offer better user experience (OS) but N3 sound is superior, plus the M2s is slightly more expensive and not worth the extra money comparing to the N3. I personally don't have the M2s so i have to rely on others opimions, some of them with a lot of technical experience.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3,467 of 8,152
So Cayin N3 would a very good choice in my opinion, very good quality sound and build for the money

Good features and intuitive UI as well with the N3. If I needed to keep the budget low I would happily try the Rocker. I have not used one though so I am nit in a position to definitely recommend.

Btw, my Xduoo has excellent sound but I do use a headphone amp with it for high impedance headphones.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #3,468 of 8,152
Good features and intuitive UI as well with the N3. If I needed to keep the budget low I would happily try the Rocker. I have not used one though so I am nit in a position to definitely recommend.

Btw, my Xduoo has excellent sound but I do use a headphone amp with it for high impedance headphones.
True if you are using a portable amp like i did. I had a Topping NX3 amp so the sound got better but the whole bundle become big and heavy so i gave up, sold them both and got the N3. Very very big difference and it drives my ATH-WS1100 perfectly and loud.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #3,470 of 8,152
Thanks for the suggestion of the Cayin N3 so I will look into that player. Any tips on a safe to use site apart from amazon to order players from? Will u have to pay customs duty if ordering direct? Im in Ireland so customs are always looking to fleece you.
Yes, there is an alternative I have personally used and bought my N3 from, advancedmp3players.co.uk, perfectly safe and no extra costs but the price displayed. They have some sort of clearance now for open box N3 for just 92 pounds so a very good opportunity.
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk...AP_with_AKM4490_DAC.15062.html#pClearance7748

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #3,471 of 8,152
Sep 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #3,472 of 8,152
Thanks for the suggestion of the Cayin N3 so I will look into that player. Any tips on a safe to use site apart from amazon to order players from? Will u have to pay customs duty if ordering direct? Im in Ireland so customs are always looking to fleece you.

I used Amazon Prime (UK) so it arrived the next day. But it was advancedmp3players.co.uk that provided the player to Amazon. They are an authorized dealer. That open box deal is great.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #3,476 of 8,152
Anyone have this one ?

New YinLvMei A1 DAP Smart MP3 Music Player USB Decoder AK4497EQ 2.5 3.5 Double Balanced Output Support APTX Lossless Bluetooth

http://s.aliexpress.com/7faAraau
Yeah I've been keeping an eye on that one. Looks pretty interesting and has some nice features. It would have to be pretty good at that price though to compete with all the other recent (and upcoming) DAPs.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #3,477 of 8,152
I would also advise steering clear of the Xduoo X3 unless you Rockbox it. I bought one as a "knockabout" DAP and instantly regretted it. At CD sampling rates (44.1kHz), it just plain doesn't work. It plays back everything at the wrong speed. Apparently, Rockboxing fixes this, but then you lose the ability to play HD files. Also, I can't find a Mac version of Rockbox (we are an all-Mac household...).

The build quality is good, though, and it sounds OK on HD files (but that's not what I bought it for).

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #3,478 of 8,152
I would also advise steering clear of the Xduoo X3 unless you Rockbox it. I bought one as a "knockabout" DAP and instantly regretted it. At CD sampling rates (44.1kHz), it just plain doesn't work. It plays back everything at the wrong speed. Apparently, Rockboxing fixes this, but then you lose the ability to play HD files. Also, I can't find a Mac version of Rockbox (we are an all-Mac household...).

The build quality is good, though, and it sounds OK on HD files (but that's not what I bought it for).

When you say can't play HD files, what do you mean? I play flac almost exclusively. Are you referring to DSD?

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,479 of 8,152
No, anything above 44.1 kHz, apparently.

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #3,480 of 8,152
I have just been informed that there is now a version of Rockbox for Mac. I'll try it at the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back