Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jun 23, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #2,942 of 8,152
Received my Ruizu A50. It's a little black beauty with 4 buttons and a jog-dial as the main input of the device.
The 4 buttons are: power (on top), return, forward and backward (on the left). Short-press the power button lock the device from accidental input during playback.
The jog-dial controls both the volume, with short-press as select and long-press as play/stop.

The UI is quite intuitive, with eight selectable items on the main menu: folder view, equalizer playlist, classification, favourite, play settings (set shuffle, repeat and default volume), settings and music. Due to the number of characters available for display, these wordings on the main menu will be cut off if you set your UI in english, e.g. "Folder vie", "My favori", "Play Setti", "Classificat", etc. The equalizer is rather comprehensive, where one can manually adjust 7 frequency responses (80, 200, 600, 1K, 4K, 8K and 16K Hz)

I'd plug it in with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770/250 and tested some JPop music (tunes from Akina Nakamori and Shibata Jun) and it play pretty okay, with decent volume and not tremendously overall warm or bright.

Wanting to know how it test against my other sources, I tested a single track (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones' Flight of the Cosmic Hippo) over four sources - PC/Foobar, XunSound XS01, Benjie X1 and Ruizu A50

Each sources was output to Xuduoo XD-05 (AUX out for DAP/ USB out for PC), which was then linked to Little Dot III SE and finally auditioned with DT880/600.

Main reason why the track was selected was the particular bass guitar segment between 2:00 and 2:45, where an inferior source will not be able to differentiate the decaying bass notes clearly, and resulting in a muddy sound.

Verdict:
  • The PC/Foobar of course provided the best listening experience. You can't beat the power and speed in which data is processed on a PC.
  • XunSound XS01 is a close second, with clear notes throughout and provided the same punch when the bass lines drop down an octave at 2:25.
  • Ruizu A50 came in third. It suffers audibly when the octave dropped at 2:25, and start to muddy out throughout that segment. Still a decent listening when the banjo kicks in though.
  • Benjie X1 (the cheapest of the lot) doesn't really do the song much justice. It plays the song fine of course, but the separation is lacking, making it not as enjoyable as compared to the rest.
Anyway, this is just a very quick comparison/ impression.
Definitely need to spend more time with it and on different setups. Gotten the Ruizu for not more than an hour after all when I type this.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #2,944 of 8,152
@smashing , Glad to see another XS01 owner here. Just wondering which opamps you are using in your Xunsound XS01.

I am still using the default OPA604AP on the xunsound. It's mostly used along with the XDuoo-XD05, which has a better opamp imo. Not planning to opamp roll anytime soon.

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #2,945 of 8,152
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...coder-HIFI-MP3-Music/1825606_32817762011.html

HTB1ZjCQRVXXXXa0XFXXq6xXFXXXd.jpg

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #2,946 of 8,152
There's more information on the D200 on the taobao website
Apparently both uses the AK4495SEQ chip. The black version use OPA2604 and JRC2114, while the gold version use MUSES8920 and MUSES8820

The website also claim that it can push 600ohm headphones...

I was looking hard and long at it, but I might be getting a XDUOO-X10 soon instead. Wanna hear the optical out difference.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,949 of 8,152
There's more information on the D200 on the taobao website
Apparently both uses the AK4495SEQ chip. The black version use OPA2604 and JRC2114, while the gold version use MUSES8920 and MUSES8820

The website also claim that it can push 600ohm headphones...

I was looking hard and long at it, but I might be getting a XDUOO-X10 soon instead. Wanna hear the optical out difference.

There is a red version as well which has AK4497 chip. Another member has posted few pics here.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-zishan-dsds-corner.826185/page-44#post-13555830
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-zishan-dsds-corner.826185/page-44#post-13557087

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2,953 of 8,152
Jun 24, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #2,954 of 8,152
I want to spend sums of money on cheap DAPs which I will not want and won't be able to sell later.

This is different than the rest of us????

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #2,955 of 8,152
Any experiences with the new Smart Player D200+ aka YinLvMei D200+ ?

http://s.aliexpress.com/vM3eUVNZ

I am very interested after
I bought the Smart D200 player : https://www.aliexpress.com/af/Nondestructive-Smart-Player-D200.html

Really nice build, solid cut out CNC block, but it's a little bit bulky for a pocket. The sound is really nice though. The volume pot is high quality, no imbalance and a nice firm feel. Took me a while to figure out how to change the UI language to English, the UI isn't great, it's perfectly workable but sometimes two button press needed to recognize input, not the buttons fault, it's the cpu or . It came with 32GB SD completely full of lossless music, mostly Chinese music, but actually really awesome music, going to be listening to this stuff for a while hehe.

I changed the stock amp Muses8820 to Muses01 which actually made quite a noticeable difference, seems to be a transparent circuit, btw the amp output is Class A biased by 4 transistors. Next I'll change the two LPF opamps to Muses01. The differential conversion is done by OPA1642. Actual colour of the dap is rose gold/champagne gold, (kinda wishing I had asked for the black version so the black screen would meld with it).

The sound is very natural, less cold than the Zishan, not warm, just plain natural sounding, vocals sound very good, and the treble also is more realistic. The bass is meh, not in amount, there is enough bass, but it just doesn't wow me in any way like the mids and treble, actually the bass is a bit less defined than I'd like, which is no good for fast electronic music, but the actual tonality and timbre of the bass is better than zishan, great for instruments, acoustic, classical or even pop and classic rock, etc. Lossless 44.1k sounds noticeably better than 320 mp3 with this player, it is quite revealing and not very forgiving.

Current version of this dap is V4, they made quite a few changes since the original, now using Elna capacitors, better transistors, upped the DAC supply voltage to 7.3v instead of original 5v, and as far as I know this is the first portable player with maxed dac voltage of AK44995SEQ. To compensate for battery life they increased battery to 3800mAH (from 3500) and reduced opamp supply voltage from original +/-12v to +/-10.5v, yet we still get 1hr less playback life (now 6hr vs 7hr original) because of the big dac voltage boost. The V4 has completely redesigned power supply, now using Analog Devices ADP power chip with 3 big AMS1117 voltage regulators, these things provide a massive 1 ampere each.

Any experiences with the new Smart Player D200+ aka YinLvMei D200+ ?

http://s.aliexpress.com/vM3eUVNZ

I am very interested after

Users who are viewing this thread

Back