Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jan 22, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #2,136 of 8,127
Benjie S5 is pretty good for the money, the openness and soundstage is worth it alone. Nicer to use than C3, better battery life, no real complaints.

C3 does sound better from memory but Benjie stands his ground considering he costs the same as a take away pizza.

I don't think people should talk about how cheap these music players are, that's not realistic or sustainable. We should be buying the highest quality device that fits our wallet size.

Money is not meant to be thrown away, it's meant to be invested with. If someone wants to choose between the S5 and the C3, it should be the C3. It's much better sound quality with only a slightly higher price.  Despite reading the whole Benjie S5 forum I didn't notice this information, I regret buying the S5.

I have a grudge against all fanboys who just want something cheap and not something of better quality.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #2,137 of 8,127
Not sure S5 has markedly better sound quality than the K9, to me they seem around the same level, in what way do you prefer the S5's sound?

I don't own any of these.My posts are based on what i've seen from spending many hours of reading about what others had to say about them.Their price is pretty close and they both use the ATJ2127 so of course it's not a big difference but i think that the S5 has the edge when it comes to SQ.
Forgot to fully answer your question.
It is said that compared with products that have a similar price (and K9) S5 has better detail and soundstage

Some of my sources: 
https://keeweeshop.com/review-dap-benjie/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/805115/benjie-s5-offical-thread

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #2,139 of 8,127
I don't own any of these.My posts are based on what i've seen from spending many hours of reading about what others had to say about them.Their price is pretty close and they both use the ATJ2127 so of course it's not a big difference but i think that the S5 has the edge when it comes to SQ.
Forgot to fully answer your question.
It is said that compared with products that have a similar price (and K9) S5 has better detail and soundstage

Some of my sources: 
https://keeweeshop.com/review-dap-benjie/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/805115/benjie-s5-offical-thread

I'd suggest that you don't makes comments on the sound quality on things you've not hear yourself.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #2,140 of 8,127
I'd suggest that you don't makes comments on the sound quality on things you've not hear yourself.

I see where you're coming from and you definately have a point.But here's a thought.Doesn't that also make reviews "useless"? 

Why are you writing so many reviews if someone should not make conclusions on things he/she never had hands-on experience with? 
What i wrote is not something i made up.These are thoughts from reviews, just like yours, gathered all together.I don't think i have to mention that i won't believe anything that i will read.I only write about things i've seen mentioned from multiple sources and from reputable users (when it comes to head-fi for example)

It goes like that:  peter123's reviews, ilikemusic's reviews> me reading them and trying to make a conclusion > conclusion
Of course sound is already subjective enough but you can't buy everything just to check how it really is, right? 

*note: it's not an offensive post.I just wanted to explain the way i think  
+ i always appreciate people that dedicate time to write reviews and make it easier for everyone :)

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #2,141 of 8,127
  I see where you're coming from and you definately have a point.But here's a thought.Doesn't that also make reviews "useless"? 

Why are you writing so many reviews if someone should not make conclusions on things he/she never had hands-on experience with? 
What i wrote is not something i made up.These are thoughts from reviews, just like yours, gathered all together.I don't think i have to mention that i won't believe anything that i will read.I only write about things i've seen mentioned from multiple sources and from reputable users (when it comes to head-fi for example)

It goes like that:  peter123's reviews, ilikemusic's reviews> me reading them and trying to make a conclusion > conclusion
Of course sound is already subjective enough but you can't buy everything just to check how it really is, right? 

*note: it's not an offensive post.I just wanted to explain the way i think  
+ i always appreciate people that dedicate time to write reviews and make it easier for everyone :)

The major difference is the distinction between:
  • Using other people's opinions to help you decide what you might be most interested in trying.
  • Repeating other people's opinions as objective fact rather than personal anecdote. 

I think there is one user on this entire site who I will buy a product when he says it's good and not think twice. out of 10 years here.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #2,142 of 8,127

I think there is one user on this entire site who I will buy a product when he says it's good and not think twice. out of 10 years here.

Never mentioned anything like that.What i did mention was that if for example 12 out of 15 people reviewed an item and said "this has great soundstage" then i'll consider it as a product with at least good soundstage.

• Using other people's opinions to help you decide what you might be most interested in trying.
  • Repeating other people's opinions as objective fact rather than personal anecdote. 

I still have some objections but we all had our opinions heard.With that being said, i'll follow Peter's advice!

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #2,143 of 8,127

I agree with this perspective. Unless you know the recommender's acuity and preferences at most you are getting a consensus opinion about sound quality. You can get a tested measurement and thus a comparison of S/N, THD and the like, certainly the user interface is something that is relatively easy to describe and somewhat less subjective. Build quality can also be evaluated, though how many ever test to destruction or even use their DAPs under abusive conditions of temperature extremes, impact shock, varying levels of humidity? Subjective descriptions of sound "quality" are going to be more opinion that objective fact. Having said all that, a low-priced value buy should allow for some inadequacies if not faults. The S5, for example, is very inexpensive, sized for daily carry and that will be more suitable for commuting on a crowded train or airplane than some huge DAP or stacked DAC/AMP combo. As we pay more, we expect more - better resolution, more file formats, more features, more durability, better PCB design for efficiency and low noise, and an ever elusive competent UI - but better sound from a digital source is probably a return that rapidly diminishes past the basic single chip solutions of an S5 or Sansa Clip+, at least so long as the amp can adequately drive your particular IEM or headphone. Just my personal opinion, but outside of required feature sets I think the internal or add-on amp is more important than the DAC in pursuing an acceptable fidelity from our source devices. Just out of curiosity, vapman, whose singular opinion DO you value here?

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #2,144 of 8,127
Never mentioned anything like that.What i did mention was that if for example 12 out of 15 people reviewed an item and said "this has great soundstage" then i'll consider it as a product with at least good soundstage.

I still have some objections but we all had our opinions heard.With that being said, i'll follow Peter's advice!

It's not about perspectives. If you read the rules you agreed to when you signed up you would see not providing impressions for gear you do not own (or tested extensively) isn't allowed. Keep impressions to first hand accounts.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #2,145 of 8,127
  I don't think people should talk about how cheap these music players are, that's not realistic or sustainable. We should be buying the highest quality device that fits our wallet size.

Money is not meant to be thrown away, it's meant to be invested with. If someone wants to choose between the S5 and the C3, it should be the C3. It's much better sound quality with only a slightly higher price.  Despite reading the whole Benjie S5 forum I didn't notice this information, I regret buying the S5.

I have a grudge against all fanboys who just want something cheap and not something of better quality.

Maybe you want to read the entire C3 thread some time as well, see how much my name/posts are active there.

The difference in our opinions is... I was merely giving mine based on the products as I recall them, not trying to be a C3 salesman. You have actually made a large error in judgment, if you read back over the years I was possibly (one of) the biggest fans of Colorfly C3 and very active in that thread. I've recommended Colorfly C3 units to multiple people over several years and they're all happy, some of them just starting out, others who went on to high-end. Please read it sometime.

However, I am also open to the possibility of other players, especially cheaper ones for budget oriented consumers who just want some tunes. Remaining neutral and open minded is important on these forums as we're catering to several people's budgets, requirements and needs.

Otherwise, its yourself who may come across as a product pusher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back