oBravo Cupid
Nov 9, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #136 of 225
Do you guys plan to the carry the "Basic" variant of the Cupid, with the 3.5mm cable?

Thanks!

Wasn't planning on it, but if our customers want it we will. The Prime is only a little bit more with a vastly superior cable, so the basic version kinda seems like a bad value.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Nov 12, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #137 of 225
Wasn't planning on it, but if our customers want it we will. The Prime is only a little bit more with a vastly superior cable, so the basic version kinda seems like a bad value.
I agree...purchased the Cupids last week in the UK direct from Audio Concierge. The £249 package. The OCC Litz cable with the 2.5mm balanced plug used in the Balanced output of a Pioneer xdp-300r gives a superior sound to the OCC cotton braided 3.5mm cable. Word of warning, if you have both cables and a balanced output just go straight for the OCC Litz cable. The connection is so tight on the buds that I really feared I would damage them after I had tried the 3.5mm cable and was swapping over. Out of the box the sound was quite strange and a little disappointing. 'Echo's' and very thin and recessed instruments on some recordings. Burn-in has helped a lot and ongoing but what has transformed the sound for me is dialing in the EQ settings for the Cupids that I found at www.github.com. Courtesy of - jaakkopasanen/AutoEq.
I believe they are now showing their true potential.

IMG_0182.PNG

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #139 of 225
Thanks for sharing, it's interesting, but I don't like the change these EQs are doing with Cupids. Tried eq Empyrean with jaakkopasanen/AutoEq results and didn't get good sound too.
I think Cupids are quite impressive on their own.
I eq’d my Sennheiser HD700’s and prefer them without. I must try to listen to the Empyreans. I find the Cupids sensitive to different recordings, in a way, age...era, related. They seem to change the mix, some instrumental
sections sounding if they are being played in another room. On the other hand some vocal led material, like Agnes Obel, is so lifelike it makes you jump.

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #140 of 225
Is anyone aware of where I can obtain a pair of Cupid’s in Hong Kong?

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #141 of 225
Saw a sponsored banner of LetsGoAudio retailing them in HK. :)

Is anyone aware of where I can obtain a pair of Cupid’s in Hong Kong?

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #143 of 225
Nov 20, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #144 of 225
Not surprised. Cupid are very very tips and seal sensitive. Reviewers with a lot of review backlogs will not spend a lot of time on this. It can sound bad in many ways if you get the seal wrong. Too much bass or closed in or too thin sounding and shouty with no bass...

With a good seal without the pressure in the ear canal, the Cupid can be exceptionally good. Now after 3 months + and countless ear tips, I have finally settled with Complys. Roll them, insert them and then hold the stem and press them so that there is a small gap for the air pressure to equalise and voila, audio bliss.

Please don't dismiss the Cupid for it's low price. They are punching way above it's price tag.

Nov 20, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #145 of 225
Well, I guess it's fair to say he's not a fan of what he seems to be seeing or hearing. If that's so then that is entirely fair for him to say that. Does not change my perception of this iem ...

I've had them for about three weeks now and they have needed a lot of burn-in time, more EQ than I would expect to use and they benefit from using an amp. Experimented with all the tips and they can sound drastically different, also where it is on the 'stem' has an effect. I am using the 2.5mm cable in the balanced output of a Pioneer xdp-300r. Beginning to think that because the internal elements that make up an iem are so small, very slight changes over time do change the sound. From what I have read they do not have a crossover and at first they did sound decidedly odd. But now when I swap them out with Sen. HD 700's or my iBasso IT01's they are in the right ball park.

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #146 of 225
I've had them for about three weeks now and they have needed a lot of burn-in time, more EQ than I would expect to use and they benefit from using an amp. Experimented with all the tips and they can sound drastically different, also where it is on the 'stem' has an effect. I am using the 2.5mm cable in the balanced output of a Pioneer xdp-300r. Beginning to think that because the internal elements that make up an iem are so small, very slight changes over time do change the sound. From what I have read they do not have a crossover and at first they did sound decidedly odd. But now when I swap them out with Sen. HD 700's or my iBasso IT01's they are in the right ball park.

Bingo. Huge rant below.

Something people do no take into account is that our ears are the microphone. Our brain is the processor. Ears record, brain sorts it out and you have an emotional experience. It fills in the gaps and compensates for any irregularities and anomalies in the sound over time and through processing. Those irregularities we may end up find pleasing in the end. If you listen to something that measures very flat, like a Studio Monitor, most people are bored and unimpressed because it doesn't present any challenge - its flat! It is generic, predictable, unstimulating. Take something that is very wonky like the Nighthawk, it will discombombulate you at first. You literally need TIME and EXPOSURE so that your brain can equalize it for you. Once that is done, only then can you begin to appreciate the sound. That is the end goal after all, to appreciate a certain sound.

A measuring rig measures - it does not percieve as we do. It has no perception of reality. A frequency response graph is just a high resolution representation of frequency intensity at any one frequency to a "rational", cold computer - but music, which is what we listen to, not a sine sweep, is many frequencies at once to an irrational & emotional human.

It is just a tool we use to try and point us in a direction, it may have nothing to do with the end result.

Nov 20, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #148 of 225
A measuring rig measures - it does not percieve as we do. It has no perception of reality. A frequency response graph is just a high resolution representation of frequency intensity at any one frequency to a "rational", cold computer - but music, which is what we listen to, not a sine sweep, is many frequencies at once to an irrational & emotional human.

It is just a tool we use to try and point us in a direction, it may have nothing to do with the end result.

Regardless of whether you agree with their conclusions or not, this is a very rude thing to say about Singaporean IEM reviewers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back