Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
May 11, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #7,246 of 7,481
I had him put a standard headphone jack on the amp. Depending on the tubes I'm running, I could have up to 30 watts of output power. Really don't want to hook headphones up to my speaker outputs!

Ah I forgot you had a headphone out in your amp but running Susvara off the speaker taps is a common practice. I do that all the time with the Musical Fidelity integrated amp. You can think of Susvara as a mini speaker.

May 12, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #7,247 of 7,481
83db at 60 ohms is a pretty crazy speaker lol. Running them off of 8 ohm taps truly is a brute force approach. There is at least one company that makes output transformers for headphones' high impedances. Wonder how a lower power amp with better impedance matching would compare.

May 12, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #7,248 of 7,481
The best amp I have heard with susvara has been the enleum 23r. It'd be interesting to compare these side by side.

May 12, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #7,249 of 7,481
The best amp I have heard with susvara has been the enleum 23r. It'd be interesting to compare these side by side.

I've heard it. Borrowed from my friend. However I'm bias and I will say Odyssey sound better. :)

IMG_5323.jpg

May 12, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #7,250 of 7,481
The latest object of my affection is the Ultima amp - top left. Using Brimar CV455 Footscray as driver, Telefunken EL156 as power tubes and 6WB4 rectifier. A 3w pocket dynamite.

IMG_6105.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #7,251 of 7,481
Hello everyone. Those of you who have made advance payments, please msg me privately. I am not promising that you will get your money back but there is an email you can write to. Deceased estate management is a complicated matter and takes time.

I just ask that unless you are a genuine client otherwise don't bother to msg me. I don't want an avalanche of messages.

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #7,252 of 7,481
It would be great if this issue will be sorted, I know a few persons involved. It is definitely not simple, since a part of the components for the already scheduled builds were already ordered and paid and therefore those money need to be recovered by selling them. Anyway, I hope for the best.

May 12, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #7,253 of 7,481
It would be great if this issue will be sorted, I know a few persons involved. It is definitely not simple, since a part of the components for the already scheduled builds were already ordered and paid and therefore those money need to be recovered by selling them. Anyway, I hope for the best.

The authorities and banks have priority claims. Individual clients may be the last to be look at if there's any money left. So don't get your hopes too high is what I advise.

May 16, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #7,254 of 7,481
Gah! Took out the Vt60a tubes, put in the RCA 6bg6. All the tubes light up but the ones on the left aren’t lighting up the meter. Swap the tubes and the left channel is still not working! There was no pop, no light show, and the tubes that were in there seem to be fine on the other side. Ugh. I will check the fuses tomorrow, fingers crossed that’s all it is. But even if it is, what caused it? And what if that isn’t it?

Ugh.

Edit: Ok, deep breath… This has happened before. It was a fuse that blew last time and the symptoms were the same. That was solved by replacing a fuse. Interestingly, one of the vt60a tubes had been getting pretty bright at start up just like the 5b/254m did previously. And it is in the same position. Hmm… Brightness at start up Would seem to point towards a heater issue but the tubes continue to be lit up. So strange. Will check tomorrow.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #7,256 of 7,481
Ok, one of the fuses was blown and replacing it gave me sound again! Wasn’t the one I thought it would be and I still don’t know what causes it but I’m glad my amp is ok.
Just be glad it wasn't one of these: :smile:

1684456279966.png

May 23, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #7,258 of 7,481

Users who are viewing this thread

Back